Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Hey Brett , if you are not a good mechanic ,.... and I assume you are not because you are asking for help ? I don't think this is any bargain for you . Maybe a decent deal at best for a good mechanic with a parts bike . If that bike were in my neighborhood and it had a newer set of OEM tires , nice clean rims , good plastics , a newer battery , a good seat etc , in other words a ton of good usable parts I would pay tops $1,000 for it . You would be much better off to find a low mileage 06 to 08 in the $3,500 range .

THeReaper!

·
Registered
630 Posts
The dieseling noise is related to the output shaft splines, right (polish adapter fix, etc)? FI is the engine, not the CVT either. If the FI problem has stopped it dead, then pass--you want a working Burg for your money.

My 2003 has been dieseling away since I bought it in 2011. No issues yet. Haven't worried about the belt, no matter how many non-650 owners tell me to. Nobody can diagnose a CVT failure until it happens, so if the bike runs, it may be deal. Caveat Emptor means buyer beware, not buyer be scared.

I say check it out and walk away if it's a bit stinky.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
FI is the engine, not the CVT either.
Problems in the CVT can also turn on the FI indicator and set codes. Any code C50 or higher is a problem in the CVT not the engine. No way to tell is the FI was caused by the engine or CVT without putting the ECM in dealer mode and checking the code.

Edited to add, if you are going to look at it then read up on how to jumper the plug that puts the ECM in dealer mode. Then check and see what the code is. If it is C50 or above it may have a CVT problem. If it is below C50 then it might have an engine problem. Looking up the code and seeing what the possible problem is could tell you a lot about what it might cause to fix it. LeDude's site has info on the codes https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/diagrams-codes

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/4577755523.html

Probably needs a new CVT...

Anyone up for looking at it with me and helping decide if it's worth it?
Oh yes I remember this Burgman. He inquired about the problem here once and I think I even made him an offer at the time. I haven't seen the bike in person but if you'd like I would be willing to go with you to see it. I'm up in Costa Mesa/Irvine. And should you wish to buy it and do the repairs yourself I could lend you a hand or we could do it at my place too. But keep in mind parts can be expensive depending on what it is.

If that bike were in my neighborhood and it had a newer set of OEM tires , nice clean rims , good plastics , a newer battery , a good seat etc , in other words a ton of good usable parts I would pay tops $1,000 for it .
I think I offered him something close to or just over that and he turned me down though I see he is finally dropping his asking price after this time.

The dieseling noise is related to the output shaft splines, right (polish adapter fix, etc)? FI is the engine, not the CVT either. If the FI problem has stopped it dead, then pass--you want a working Burg for your money.

My 2003 has been dieseling away since I bought it in 2011
It's an '06 and shouldn't have a dieseling noise. My '03 crapped out at 26K mi when the CVT splines stripped out. It's all fixed now with a Polish Adapter and new/modified timing chain tensioner it runs pretty quiet.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Oh yes I remember this Burgman. He inquired about the problem here once and I think I even made him an offer at the time. I haven't seen the bike in person but if you'd like I would be willing to go with you to see it. I'm up in Costa Mesa/Irvine. And should you wish to buy it and do the repairs yourself I could lend you a hand or we could do it at my place too. But keep in mind parts can be expensive depending on what it is.

I think I offered him something close to or just over that and he turned me down though I see he is finally dropping his asking price after this time.

It's an '06 and shouldn't have a dieseling noise. My '03 crapped out at 26K mi when the CVT splines stripped out. It's all fixed now with a Polish Adapter and new/modified timing chain tensioner it runs pretty quiet.

With those miles and a price of $1,800 plus the DMV fees of $140.00 then maybe $1,500 just in parts for a complete CVT rebuild , to me it makes no sense even if you do the work yourself . You're still into it for $3,440 and a ton of work . It's not all that difficult to find a nice low mile 08 or 09 in the 4K price range . On the other hand if you had a fairly fresh CVT from another bike sitting on a shelf , where it's plug and play that's another story . These 650's especially if you're going to being doing these kinds of repairs , it's imperative at least it would be for me to have a solid parts hoard .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking it'd be a bargain, maybe minor repairs of wiring or PPS or other sensors. If it's the whole CVT then I'm with reaper - I'd rather just buy one with lower miles for $3.5k or so.

Agree that I'd be a buyer at more like $1k.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Offer $1,000, you may be surprised that he accepts.
He might I don't know, can't hurt to look and see what he is willing to do now. Maybe you'll get lucky. I can't remember if I offered him $800 or $1,200 but I really only needed a body for my '05.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I can get him to call me back, when I called earlier he didn't have time for me :/

I'll try to go this SAturday, maybe I'll bring a new pullet bolt and check the stand switches and see what happens.

MJR i'll send you a PM to see if you're up for a road trip.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would not consider buying this machine until a Suzuki technician looked at it.You may have a bargain, but guessing what it's problems are and wishing it is minor is not a very good idea in my opinion.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I bought a '06 with 9500 miles that wasn't running for $750... It has a XXL vented windscreen and a Givi topbox... I put $1250 to get it going... So far, so good!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I bought a '06 with 9500 miles that wasn't running for $750... It has a XXL vented windscreen and a Givi topbox... I put $1250 to get it going... So far, so good!

@ $750 you went in to it pretty much in a can't lose situation , which is exactly how you should go in to one of these deals . Paying nearly 2K for one puts a buyer between a rock and a hard place from the start .

About a year ago I bought a Silverwing with 1200 miles on it with all the plastics in ruin from a low speed slide . I bought it for $1,300 but even at that price it wasn't worth buying all new plastics for it . So I repaired every thing and gave it a camo paint job to hide all the sins . Under all the damage is basically a new Silverwing scoot , I gave it to my son and he loves it . Said he preferred it to a new shiny one , said it took the edge off of it not having to worry about scratching it up .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there an easy test to check if the CVT bearing is shot, after researching that is the latest thougth on the CVT failures correct? If it's not the PPS or stopper bolt wear?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
If I can get him to call me back, when I called earlier he didn't have time for me :/

MJR i'll send you a PM to see if you're up for a road trip.
Seems like he's not really needing to get rid of it very badly. Yah just let me know I got some stuff to do on my truck, Jeep, or Burgman. We can work it out.

I would not consider buying this machine until a Suzuki technician looked at it.You may have a bargain, but guessing what it's problems are and wishing it is minor is not a very good idea in my opinion.
Most dealer techs don't know a lot about them as far as I can tell.

Is there an easy test to check if the CVT bearing is shot, after researching that is the latest thougth on the CVT failures correct? If it's not the PPS or stopper bolt wear?
At best you might track the noise to engine/CVT/Final drive. I use a long screwdriver or prybar to the ear to isolate noises against the case in various places. Just a thought it could be possible the adapter bolt has come loose on the left side and is rattling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stay away there are way better deals. I found an 08 Bergman on CL. Yep spelled wrong. 2008 with 1800 miles for $3600 over here in MD. That was a couple months ago, now has over 5,000 miles ;-)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts