Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So why is a Burgman a Burgman? Is there a person named Burgman? A scooter company acquired by Suzuki? Anyone know?

·
Registered
409 Posts
With all due respect, what a dumb question. It is just a name. Was the CEO of Suzuki a thief when he named the Bandit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With all due respect

It's a reasonable question. Bandit conveys speed. Hayabusa is a falcon. A Burgman sounds like a Jewish lawyer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re: With all due respect

joezeff said:
A Burgman sounds like a Jewish lawyer.
snicker snicker

Ummm, the consensus seems to be that it's German for "City Man"

Or "Town Man" Or something along those lines... I just ripped off the Burgman Emblem and replaced it with "Harley Eater 650" in it's place.

Ok, not really, but I should. :twisted:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

Kias said:
Ummm, the consensus seems to be that it's German for "City Man"

Or "Town Man" Or something along those lines...
The consensus would be wrong.

Burgman with one en is Swedish. Burgmann with two ens is German for man of the castle or man of the fortress, which becomes man of the city in later times.

However a Japanese executive who liked the idea of Burgmann may have thought having two ens was redundant; or maybe it wouldn't fit in the space available; who knows. But it's not really "German" for anything.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Brian said:
The consensus would be wrong.
We may be wrong, but at least we're consistently wrong!

Burgman may not be German, but "Burg" is.

Burg is also an ancient or medieval fortress or walled town.

Hmmm... I like the sounds of a medieval scooter! I may have to start modifying it now.

:druid:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Edwljoseph said:
Was the CEO of Suzuki a thief when he named the Bandit.
Have you priced Suzuki Motorcycles lately??
:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Edwljoseph said:
With all due respect, what a dumb question.
Actually, It’s a very good question.

The head of Suzuki’s chrome lettering department was once a German woman by the
name of Hiedegard Dunhuber. A few years ago, her father died in a tragic Octoberfest
accident. When she returned from the funeral, Frau Dunhuber was determined to do
something in memory of her dad.

In the final stage of the North American scooter prototype development, she snuck into
the studio and changed the letters from “Skywave” to “Burgman”...her maiden name. She lost her job but the name stuck.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Its not a dumb question. In fact is a frequently asked question. Joezeff, feel free to ask any other questions you may have. I moved this topic to the Newbie Question area.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
mupp said:
The Burgman family crest!
I hate those "Your Family Crest" sites! There's no such thing as a family crest! It's a coat of arms or achievement of arms.

First, taking someone elses coat as your own is like taking someone elses scooter just because you have the same last name. Coats of arms are granted to individuals and may or may not be hereditary depending on why they were granted. They are not granted to everyone who shares a name.

Second, the "crest" is only part of the achievement of arms -- the main part is actually a coat of arms, and can be accompanied by 1) a crest, which is usually on 2) a helm, and may have 3) supporters, 4) a motto, etc.

In much of Europe there are laws against this type of "theft."

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Kias said:
There are such things as family crest's.

I have several:
The Starbucks logo could almost be classified as a coat of arms (not a "crest," which it lacks), but the other two couldn't.

For any who are really interested in this stuff, my coat of arms is:

Bleu-Celeste a Lion rampant guardant argent langued and armed gules. On a bordure Azure 13 mullets pierced gules.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Skywave sounds so much cooler than Burgman. Wonder why Suzuki didn't market it worldwide under that name?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
While we have been up this road many times before we always end up with the same problem
Very limited documentation and our own point of view.. So maybe we can get someone to write a
letter (e-mail) to Suzuki and get a definitive answer.. :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Who was Burgman ?

Who or what was Burgman ?
Well you all ride a "Town Man"
Burg is an "Ancient Medieval Fortress" or "Fortified Town" an ancient Germanic word that is also the old English name for Borough.
Man is,Man.
The original Burgman was possibly meant to be a commuter scooter as in town transport before the 400 and 650 came along. 8)
Cheers
Ian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts