Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about people having the valves adj and 600 miles. But then the book says 14-15000 miles. My dealer said 14,500 miles. What do I do? I rolled over 600 miles tonight. I am confused. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went through the same thing you are going through. After much thought and watching the postings on this forum, I changed the oil myself. I'll wait for 3-4k miles and then have it done. 2 of the 3 dealers in my area said the same thing you heard.
I believe that some of the dealers are simply gouging the Burgman owners. :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Mark Mettler said:
I keep reading about people having the valves adj and 600 miles. But then the book says 14-15000 miles. My dealer said 14,500 miles. What do I do? I rolled over 600 miles tonight. I am confused. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!
Go by the book. Many dealers don't have enough experience yet with the Burgmans and think they're dealing with old Vespas or something.

Take the book with you to the dealer, point, and say "I want this, this, and this" like picking items from a restaurant menu. Let them know that you're the boss, you know what you want, and that they're performing a service for you.

HTH.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Mark, your 400 manual says to "inspect" (and adjust if needed) at 600, and every 4000 thereafter. My exhaust valve was spot on at 600, but the intake was below spec...meaning it was getting tight. The big question is whether it would have continued tightening up between that 600 mile and the next one at 4000 or not. If it had, I could have had a burnt valve.

However, I'm inclined to think the initial tightening up is about all it will do based on having recently checked the valves on a buddies 400 and he had close to 7000 miles on his. His intake valve was about what mine was at 600. Exhaust was ok. I'll be doing mine again shortly for the second time just to see and also another buddy who has a 400 with about 3-4K on it. Will let the group know the results.

·
Registered
40 Posts
At 600 miles, my dealer's service guy said I didn't need any valve adjustment, so he just did the oil change and sent me on my way. When I asked him about it, he said why do something that don't need doin'? I think I can trust this guy........

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I believe the dealers are gouging the Burgman owners. It may be a case of not selling a lot of them, taking a beating on price and trying to make it up on the customers service needs that they have. Everyone should read their manual, that will help.
:p

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
In my experience, they don't "gouge" me any worse on the Burgman 650 than they do on the V-Strom 1000 motorcycle. Service costs are about the same. Don't kid yourself - they make everybody pay...

I recently read about a guy who had to have the rear tire replaced on his Goldwing while touring. Total cost was $600.00 (tow, tire & labor).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Good posts.

My AN400K3 has over 800 miles now and I was going to adjust the valves after I return from Biketoberfest (Daytona Beach, FL) at the end of October; by then I expect I will have around 1600 on the machine. Now I am rethinking the extra work. I plan on doing the job myself, but like the man said, "Why do somethin' that don't need doin'." :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
pauljo said:
In my experience, they don't "gouge" me any worse on the Burgman 650 than they do on the V-Strom 1000 motorcycle. Service costs are about the same. Don't kid yourself - they make everybody pay...

I recently read about a guy who had to have the rear tire replaced on his Goldwing while touring. Total cost was $600.00 (tow, tire & labor).
Yes, I can hardly credit them singling out Burgman owners for special treatment.

One thing is for sure though much better to be an informed consumer and for the dealer/service writer to realise he is not dealing with a fool. Establishing what work will and will not be done, charges etc is the way you should handle dealer/shop services - for any vehicle. IMNSHO! :wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
pauljo wrote
Service costs are about the same. Don't kid yourself - they make everybody pay...
I agree Service costs are about the same and if I go to a dealer I expect to pay.
The real problem as I see it is the dealers just don't know enough about the scooters.
We end up paying for there inexperience in extra money, time, and frustration . :(
I hope this is a problem that time will take care of as more & more scooters get sold.

·
Registered
793 Posts
After the first Do It Myself valve job, my 400 has more power and better milage
over a wider range of engine temperatures (starting or cruising at any altitude).
I run 87 octane in it now and save more dough.

Suzuki service departments aren't like church.
You can turn them down and still go to heaven.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi AJ

I just love feedback like that. :) :)

It is so much satisfying to do a job like that yourself, know for sure that it is done correctly (as opposed to handing over greenbacks and not being sure if you have been scammed), saved money AND get a performance result. A 'win, win, win' situation. :D

What symptoms were you getting to cause you to upgun the octane? Have you any data on fuel consumption - before and after?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had the 600 miles maint done at the dealer. He said that the intakes were out, they were tight, and he also said the exhausts were "snug," within specs but he loosened them up a little.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If the valves did not need adjustment at 600 miles should they be checked again prior to the 4000 mile service?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
BobG said:
If the valves did not need adjustment at 600 miles should they be checked again prior to the 4000 mile service?
According to my copy of the schedule (and yours may well differ) it is not listed to inspect at the 4K service. After the 600, the next inspect (& adjust if necessary) is at 7K.

·
Registered
239 Posts
NormanB said:
BobG said:
According to my copy of the schedule (and yours may well differ) it is not listed to inspect at the 4K service. After the 600, the next inspect (& adjust if necessary) is at 7K.
Thanks Norman,

Let me rephrase my question.

If the valves did not need adjustment at 600 miles should they be checked again prior to the next scheduled inspection?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
BobG said:
NormanB said:
BobG said:
Thanks Norman,

Let me rephrase my question.

If the valves did not need adjustment at 600 miles should they be checked again prior to the next scheduled inspection?
Okay Bob - understood!

Well first of all I refer you to Teds note (which differs from 'my' schedule):

ted clement said:
Mark, your 400 manual says to "inspect" (and adjust if needed) at 600, and every 4000 thereafter. My exhaust valve was spot on at 600, but the intake was below spec...meaning it was getting tight. The big question is whether it would have continued tightening up between that 600 mile and the next one at 4000 or not. If it had, I could have had a burnt valve.

Thats the voice of experience too - so maybe you should do at the next scheduled maintenance interval (4K). The consequences of a failure are more costly and time consuming than the check and adjust - which is less than an hours work if you include gaining access and boxing up.

·
Registered
605 Posts
OK,

Speaking from my experience with my 400, the valves were checked by me at 600 miles (1000 kms) and I found the intakes to be tight (0.003 to 0.002") and one of the exhaust to be tight. This is normal, valves should get tight as the engine piles up the miles...its the valves settling into their valve seats. I deliberately set them to 0.006" intakes and 0.008" exhaust. This was on the loose side of the recommended spec.

So like a good guy who loves his Burgman, I then did the recommended check at 6,000 kms (4,000 miles) and the valves clearances were exactly where I had set them at the 1000 kms check.

Funny though, I found my 6 hour service dropped down to about 2 hours. I guess I'm getting better at removing all the plastic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts