Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Shinko makes tires to fit the Burgman 650. These tires are much less expensive then other brands and from my experiences with then and other riders I ride with they work very well. I've run them on my Suzuki 650 V-Strom and my KLR 650 and are very happy with the results. I have a riding buddy that is on his second set on his KTM 990 and very pleased with then also. For the price they are worth trying. I buy my tires from these folks and here is the tire I'm talking about. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/20389/ITEM/Shinko-SR568R-Rear-Scooter-Tire.aspx

John

·
Registered
511 Posts
I put one on the rear of my BMW R80ST but didn't keep it long enough for any long term results. The price was right and it seemed to handle well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
A buddy of mine bought Shinko tires for his Goldwing, and they were out of center (i.e. thicker on one side of the tire than on the other.) He vows he will never buy them again.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I put a set on a 400 and they worked well. The front was wearing well but the rear was wearing pretty quickly when it died due to a large nail puncture.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
if you haven't tried them on the Burgman, it really doesn't matter what others have experienced on other bikes using shinkos.

I have been running them on my 650 and love them, great value / performance so to speak.

I am on my 3rd rear and 2nd front.

Amazingly stable all around tires and super quiet.

give them a try, not sure how they do on the 400.

You can buy a set for under $100.00.

My tire ratio is going to be 3 rears to two fronts.

Rear lasts about 8-9k miles, front lasts about 14-16k miles.

I run 38 psi front , 42 psi rear.

my experience with them thus far has been very positive, I will continue using them for as long as I have the 650.

good luck.

Shinko Tires

·
Registered
182 Posts
Used them on my GL1800 and currently on my 3rd rear Shinko on my ST1300. Good grip, wet or dry. Good bang for the buck. Not enough miles on the Burgman to need new tires yet.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Only lasted 5k on my 07 400.:( Wouldn't even waste my time with them on the front of my 650. I'm dark sided on the rear. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
if you haven't tried them on the Burgman, it really doesn't matter what others have experienced on other bikes using shinkos.
+1 I'll install Michelins when the B'Stones need replacing just be cause I have always used them on my vehicles and never had a complaint.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought a new rear tire to install on my 400. I seriously considered going with a Shinko but wound up buying a Bridgestone Hoop.

My OEM rear Hoop went 11,500 miles and still had a teensy, teensy bit of tread left on it. I hope my replacement Hoop go just as far!

The rear Hoop was almost twice as expensive as the Shinko would have been. But, again, I got such good life and good handling from the Hoop that it just seemed to be value wise a good move to stick with the originals.

MSL

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've been fretting about getting a tire for my new, to me, b650. Dunlop doesn't make a scooter line tire like they do on the b400 and all the alternatives from the dealer and my tire guy were all well over $100.

So I heeded everyone's advice here and ordered the Shinko. $54 delivered. Not bad. I'll report back when I've had some time on it, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks everyone, especially LeDude. His recommendations always carry a bit more authority.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I had good results on my 400 with them. They handled very well in the wet and dry. They did not last as long as some of the other brands I have had but at the price point 6100 miles was pretty decent.

·
Registered
119 Posts
9k on a Shinko

On the left is my Shinko SR568 after 8,980 (9K). I should have changed it at 7600 like the Bridgestone but wanted to push it because of the negative performance some have reported. I have no complaints about it at all. Just sayin....;) In the middle is my original Bridgestone Battleax after 7600 miles. On the right is my new Metzeler Feel Free. I would easily buy another Shinko. Oh, and I had it balanced with Dyna Beads. They worked great in my opinion although I don't know if they helped me get more wear or not. My new Metzler is running with Ride On. We shall see how it performs.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Yeah, you would not been able to ride that Shinko up here with no water siping. That Metzler pattern looks almost the same.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I put a rear Shinko on 3k ago and thus far, I like it very much. Great, smooth ride. I don't know the ultimate tread life yet, but given its wear thus far, I'd say 7-8k, which is very good for the price. My OEM Bridgestone only lasted 5k.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you don't mind, I would like to toss out some information along with my personal opinion (for what ever that is worth).... So here goes.....

I have been looking at tires lately, but not for my 04 AN400. I use the OEM Bridgestone hoop tires. For the difference in price I will stick with Them

Recently, I have been pricing tires for my Victory XCT. I decided to stick with the OEM Dunlop Elite III. Here is my strange reason why, .... Both Suzuki and Victory motorcycles stake their reputation and your safety on the tires they put on their new motorcycles and scooters. Dunlop, Bridgestone, and other OEM tires have a deserved outstanding reputation. I will pay the extra and stick with what the manufacturer recommends.

There are tons of people that like Shinko. They sell a lot of tires (200,000 a month) and "somebody" is buying them... So I am not knocking them at all. I am also aware that there are no absolutes when buying anything... Even with OEM stuff there is potential for defects. It is a personal choice and mine is OEM. When I am riding the twisted winding back roads of New England, My tires are the last thing I want to worry about. I don't want to trust my life to the last possible thing that can go wrong and riding on the lowest priced tire on the market doesn't make me feel good.

Yes, I am biased toward OEM, however, I have heard good things about Yokahama tires and Shinko bought the manufacturing design from them. They are made in South Korea and imported through a company based in Boise Idaho. They may be a true bargain, but then again, it is a personal choice...

·
Registered
169 Posts
My experience too; 3.5-4k. With the high cost of mounting they're not a bargain to me.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
My experience too; 3.5-4k. With the high cost of mounting they're not a bargain to me.
Just Got my Michelin's In Today!! Just waiting for the DynaBeads, and New Brakes to come in, and New Bearings, which are a late Order, So had to make a Wooden Bearing for the time being until the Part arrives, I know your Wondering What a wooden Bearing, I Must be crazy But it works, As long as i keep it Under 30 Mph. On Short runs..

My Original tires are Pirelli Diablo, Which are really rated for rain Chris,Daboo, hooked me up with these, But had little slipping here and there,In Sunny Days but not much. But was a Great tire.. real quiet... But time to move on!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts