Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check my scooters and make sure the trickle chargers are connected (doing their job I hope). I look and admire their form and style. I look outside and view the white. That awful white accompanied by cold to bitter cold temps. Never thought I would want to be a "snow bird" but I am a "snow bird" and want to go somewhere where it never snows. My only light at the tunnels end is the Cleveland International Motorcycle Show in a couple of weeks. Let's build a dome over Ohio and declare it a scooter heaven. If any of you have some pull with the weather man, please use it and give me some riding weather. Please !!!!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hey, I live in Idaho. I don't feel too awful bad for you.

But in a few days it is supposed to be 50 degrees here or so. Plug in my electric jacket, turn on the heated grips and off I go.

Only about 3 months out of the year that there is even a little bit of snow here so I dont mind too much. I used to love taking my Honda Trail 110 out in it and pull my daughter around on her sled with it. Good times.

When I lived in the Houston area I could pretty much ride year around but there were no good places to ride there compared to here so I will take excellent riding 8-9 months out of the year rather than so-so riding all year long. Quality over quantity always wins out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I lived in Mansfield Ohio for 40 years and winters were horrible, moved to Florida in 1984. Its 63 degree's here this morning and its a few minutes before 6AM. Don't regret the move to a warmer climate.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey, I live in Idaho.
When I lived in the Houston area I could pretty much ride year around but there were no good places to ride there compared to here so I will take excellent riding 8-9 months out of the year rather than so-so riding all year long. Quality over quantity always wins out.
Hi Rusty,
It's the same here in Las Vegas for me as it was for you in Houston. A lot of nice weather but no where to ride. When we lived in Illinois you could crisscross the state on country and county roads never having to use a toll road or expressway. No twisty or real winding roads, but pleasant riding, stopping in the small farming towns for meals. Weather is just one element to the riding experience for me, add the bike, the ride itself and destination.
Agreed "Quality over quantity" wins in my book.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I agree with MrWick, I moved from N.E.Ohio in 1972 to Florida. I'll never move out of Florida. I do have to ride a half hour or so to get away from the city but I can find some great roads. We don't have any mountains but there are some small hills and some nice curves and beautiful country. About the only time I don't ride is during hurricanes and we don't get too many of them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Look at the bright side... this winter is a heluva lot better than last winter! ;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Woe is me, woe is me: New B650 sitting cold and unused as it's 28 degrees this morning but I see a light at the end of the tunnel, with supposedly 55 degrees later this afternoon!!!!!

"Mudda-Fadda kindly disregard this letta."

Sam:)

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think some of us take riding a bit more seriously than others do. I absolutely loathe big cities and big city traffic. At one time I lived 11 miles from work yet I had to leave at least an hour early to make sure that I would get there on time and still I did not always make it. The every idea of having to ride an hour or more to get to some roads that were not atrociously clogged with traffic just makes me shudder now. Yes, I know that millions of people enjoy living in places like New York and Chicago and LA and Houston and good for them and better them than me. I still get an email from a friend in the Houston area every now and then saying "heh heh heh it's 78 degrees outside right now dont you wish you were here?" He is just one of those that just doesn't get it. Your riding temperature doesn't have to be perfect but your state of mind does.

Those that have to live where there is a big shopping mall and a Super Wal-Mart right around the corner are living for different reasons than me. I live where 5 minutes or less of riding will bring you to roads that run along a river. Follow the serpentine road for mile after mile until eventually you get to white-capped mountains. But you don't ride all the way there- oh no. You stop along the way to watch a few helmeted and life vest wearing people paddling furiously as they shoot down the river in accident waiting to happen overfilled inflatable boats. A few more miles and you stop at a mom and pop and fill your tank. While you are there you treat yourself to a hand dipped cone of your favorite flavor (as long as you like one of the four flavors that they have on hand) before taking off again. And no satellite tunes needed here. The road is your orchestra and it is playing a symphony.

Later you look at your watch and are befuddled as to how it possibly could have gotten so late in the day as it seems as if you left home mere minutes ago. Finally you are parked on the side of the road drinking water and thinking about where would be a good place to turn around when a slightly battered Chevy truck with two halter top wearing farm girls waving at you goes by.

Heck. It's not all that late yet. I got time to ride a bit longer. I got the rest of my life to ride a bit longer. I will be home when I get there.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm a displaced California boy since 1999 and lived 20 miles south of Los Angeles, in the beautiful, quiet little town of Bellflower. My offices were in the Financial District of West LA and were only 20 miles away. It took me 2 hours EVERY morning to get to work and at least 2.5 hours to get home:rolleyes:

Now, I live 12 miles from work, in the country and I take beautiful little country roads to get to work and it takes me like less than 15 minutes of "smell the roses" type riding. This morning on the commute in, I actually only saw maybe 5 cars on the entire drive in. I'll take it.:D

However, in CA, even though I had the commute into Hades, I made SO much money that I could put up with other drivers that looked like this guy::thin:

Sam:tongue5:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm blessed as my next 4 days' forecast......
SUNNY! 65F-68F-70F-73F-77F

·
Registered
704 Posts
Winter hasn't been bad yet here in Ohio. I'll take it any day over Florida, Phoenix, or LA. 48 hours is about all I can hack of those places at one serving. I took off one morning out of Youngstown/Warren with the snow blowing across the runway for Ft Lauderdale, Fl. After spending the day there I arrived back at Youngstown/Warren just before midnite with wiffs of snow still blowing across the runway. I looked over at the Co-pilot while taxiing in and asked if I could get out first and kiss the ground I was so happy to be back. A little snow does a great job of filtering the pollutants out of the air.

Florida= For the newly wed or nearly dead. I don't fit either one. LA the sister city of DC where the average IQ is just above an earthworm's. Phoenix, colorful scenery to enjoy if one likes 30 different shades of brown.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Winter hasn't been bad yet here in Ohio. I'll take it any day over Florida, Phoenix, or LA. 48 hours is about all I can hack of those places at one serving. I took off one morning out of Youngstown/Warren with the snow blowing across the runway for Ft Lauderdale, Fl. After spending the day there I arrived back at Youngstown/Warren just before midnite with wiffs of snow still blowing across the runway. I looked over at the Co-pilot while taxiing in and asked if I could get out first and kiss the ground I was so happy to be back. A little snow does a great job of filtering the pollutants out of the air.

Florida= For the newly wed or nearly dead. I don't fit either one. LA the sister city of DC where the average IQ is just above an earthworm's. Phoenix, colorful scenery to enjoy if one likes 30 different shades of brown.
You got it right. And for sure you are right on about Phoenix. My daughter lives there. What a drab and hot place to live. If you want to see anything that is green better go to Sherwin-Williams.

·
Registered
285 Posts
"LA the sister city of DC where the average IQ is just above an earthworm's." Justme.:rolleyes:

Only since the leftist, Marxist, liberals have taken over and the State has decided to support Soooooooo many-ahh-tourist from cradle to grave:fucyc:

20 years ago CA was the 7th most RICH territory in the world and you don't get that from being an earthworm.:D

Sam:cool:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Well, up here in Ontario it's just as cold and miserable as Ohio and this is an especially brutal winter. Not because the weather is really bad compared to past years, but because I've got a brand new 2014 Burgman 650 paid for and waiting at the dealer for pick up the last week of March. Oh how I long to ride.

The only thing that keeps it bearable is working on my computer and laying out the trips I'm going to ride this coming season.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yea L.A. has it's draw backs but tonight I went to get dinner with the top down and tomorrow I will have to whittle down the great roads to ride. They are calling for 82 so I might have to break out the mesh gear....again.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
How'd this become bag on CA and Los Angeles? I may extol their virtues from time to time, but I never bag on someone else's hometown or denigrate their intelligence. There's good riding and dumb people everywhere I figure.

Oh except Texas. Not there's no good riding or dumb people there, I'm sure there are. But I did bag on its cops once. I've gone 10 years without a ticket in CA. But wasn't in Texas more than 2 hours before I got pulled over. I guess the CA plates don't play well there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
"Don't mess with Texas!" :D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Liamjs don't feel bad Florida doesn't seem to get any respect either. I'm far from a newlywed and I hope I'm not nearly dead. I think Florida has very high quality roads and scenic areas to enjoy a lot of quality rides. The rains must do a great job of filtering the pollutants out of the air because I've never seen any pollutants in the air here. I will have to admit we have had a few summers that we've had red tide that stinks pretty bad but that's just at the beaches. If I wanted to be rude I could knock down other parts of our beautiful country but that's not my style. I'm sure most any state has both high quality and not so pleasant areas. I'm glad everyone doesn't know how many great places we have to ride because I would hate to have to deal with all the traffic the Dragon has. I've enjoyed riding the Dragon and I'm not knocking it but I like get away from traffic and I can find plenty of roads to ride without seeing any cars for miles.
Okay end of rant. :)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts