Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have made a major decision to sell my 2012 650 Executive after having it for only 1 year and 2 weeks.
It was a tough decision to make but to make a long story short, I decided I wanted to be able to take advantage of some of the considerable miles of fire roads we have here in SoCal, so I bought a more dual-sport oriented machine. I have read numerous good things about the more gentle "off-road" capabilities of my new bike and as soon as I mount a good set of Conti TKC-80's on it, I'll be ready.
I bought a 2013 Honda NC700X-DCT. It is still an automatic but with a real 6 speed tranny with a D (normal) twist & go mode, an S (sport) mode for more aggressive twist & go shifting and a fully Manual mode using the paddle shifters.
I've had 2 weeks now and I'm up to about 70 miles/Gallon :toothy7:

I'll be posting my Burgman in the for sale section soon.

Thanks to all for the excellent commentary and suggestions you offered. :p

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Congratulations. There's a lot to explore in So Cal.

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
Give us some feedback on the DCT off highway.
I've been considering the CB500x because it's light and I don't mind shifting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good luck on the new bike. I've heard nothing good about the Honda DCT, hope it works for you. I didn't like the lack of wind protection, or the seating position. Great looking bike though, and the added fuel economy is a bonus, I just did not like the fit of the bike and have grown so comfortable with the step through.

My friend is the manager at a local honda/suzuki dealership and has not been impressed with the trans, but the bike looks great.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I took a look at 500x and then another, even tested it to understand what it's all about, but came to the conclusion that its main merit its affordability. Despite Mac's consistent arguments the seating position is cramped, both for driver and pillion and one can find multiple proofs of that.

Secondly, you don't see often this bike carries some stuff, the rigging options are either very small or they wreck the design of the bike.
Yes, it can handle rough terrains, but what is the purpose - a holiday promenade? They do look good both CBX and NCX in design, but so does Burgie. People just want something new i guess.

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
I'd never advocate pillion but CB500x is full sized machine unlike the other CBs.

120/70-ZR17M/C (58W) front, 160/60-ZR17M/C (69W) rear
Wheelbase 1,525 mm
Dimensions L 2,195 mm
W 760 mm
H 1,130 mm
Seat height 790 mm (S)
830 mm (X)
800 mm (X Type LD - JDM )
Weight 211 kg (NC700S)
215 kg (NC700SA)
218 kg (NC700X)
225 kg (NC700SD) (wet)

Tires 110/80-17" 57H front, 130/80-17 65H rear
Rake, trail 27°20', 113 mm
Wheelbase 1430 mm
Dimensions L 2090 mm
W 720 mm
H 1050 mm
Seat height 775 mm
Weight 170 kg (dry)
Fuel capacity 18 l

It's only a tiny bit smaller and a whole lot lighter which is the big appeal.
It's not a small bike -

There are 200 pages now on the CB500x on ADVrider
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840842&page=200

It would not be suitable for a 6" 4" rider but for the average 5' 10" -6' it's fine.

A Weestrom would be more suitable for the taller rider.

The whole idea is that is a dual sport...and a very light one but is also a light solo tourer.

Of course any transformer style bike will have things hanging off it.

Honda has a winner with this machine.

Why do you keep showing images of riders that cannot shift gears where their feet are...
gets tiresome.

That is NOT foot position for riding a CB500x period.
This is

I had the pleasure of getting a test ride on a cb500x yesterday (for those in the London area don't ask metropolis they don't have a demo model, go to dobles).
I've been digitally coverting this bike almost daily since i saw it at the eXcel show in Feb as a replacement for my aging transalp 650.
Bit of background I'm 27 and stand at a not so lofty 5'7" and 60kg (ish) and ride solo and 2-up with my g/f (same height and 54kg) for those who wish to do a comparison.

I favour Hondas due to their 'bombproof-ness' and just seem to click with them. I do genuinely love my TA however due to my petite size have been looking for something a little smaller, lighter and more fuel economical with that same 'adventure' feel to it.

First impressions did not disappoint. The engine is smooth all the way through the revs, minimal vibrations until you start hitting the red-line. You had to shift hard to get the gears moving, this could have been due to the fact the bike only had 100miles on and hadn't broken in yet. The clutch was light and smooth also, it would pull comfortably from 6th gear from 30mph without any shuddering at all. Unfortunately I did not get to test it above 50mph so cannot judge how it is at motorway speeds. Clutch was light and easy to find the biting point and hold it.

This bike does not lack power despite it's 470cc engine, it accelerated as quick as my TA but alot smoother and has good ability to overtake without issues.
Brakes are very good, shaper than the TA, 40-0mph in 15-20metres without any drama or abs required (2-up), only issue with heavy breaking is the front forks dip more than prefered. However I believe some progressive springs and thicker oil would fix this. Rear break is average.

The rear shock is good, holds the bike to the road well, absorbs the bumps ok; nothing special there but does what it needs to. I was riding solo first then 2-up and did not notice the weight on the rear with the exception being under breaking.

The seat and riding position were ok, the seat more specifically was a little narrow than i prefered but my ass seemed to get use to it after 10 mins. The riding position was a couple of degrees more aggressive than the TA but once again 10mins and I was used to it. I would personally like to see how my body gets on with it after a couple of hours in the saddle. The screen looked great...that was it, get the larger one.

The handlebars were placed spot on, I was previously thinking they would need changing if I got one as I suffer from tendonitis in my shoulder and am very fussy about the positioning of my arms. (I currently run shorter rentals with risings on the TA), but after the test drive found them to be the right height and width for me, other have previously commented that they would change them for the bars on the 'F' model. Whatever works wins.

The overall finish and build quality of the bike was spot of for what honda issue regardless of which factory it came from.

I was also very impressed with how light the bike felt, it only had about 6 litres of petrol in but was caparable to a fuelly fuelled varadero 125. I really felt the difference after get back on the TA I can assure you. I also took 5 mins to get off and push the bike around a bit on both sides and up and down a slight graidiant, no problems what-so-ever, my g/f was also able to do this without fuss.

Summary

Good Points:
Smooth well-powered engine (also silent)
Light Clutch
Strong Brakes
Good rear shock
Lightweight
Economy has been quoted to be very good on other forums once broken in.

Bad Points:
Front fork dive under heavy braking
Lack of under seat storage
Poorly positioned exhaust
Windscreen did nothing to deflect air much
(Other that the forks I am just nit-picking)

Side Points:
The 'X' is a sticker so will peel off
If you're looking at mounting alu panniers you'll need to mount them high, get one with the exhaust cut out or change the exhaust.

Conclusion: Will I be getting one?
Yes, simple as that. It has certainly won me over and has the potential to become what I want it to and for many of us on here maybe in a few more years a project to apply a few upgrades to and push it more towards the bigger dual sports that roam here.
His assessment was the same as mine including the weakness on the suspension.

Average rider mostly solo....the bike is fine....most dual sports are too tall and too heavy.
If you are 5 11 and up it's not the bike for you and in my view a far better machine and value than any of the NC700 series tho the new 750 cruiser style may be okay for that motor.

A DCT dual sport is intriguing....only if Honda gets the downshifting sorted tho the paddleshift works well.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Honda has a winner with this machine.

Why do you keep showing images of riders that cannot shift gears where their feet are...
gets tiresome.

That is NOT foot position for riding a CB500x period.
This is

Oh, yeah that's period, Mac -- your bike is not moving. That's why i keep showing a running bike. It's definitely not for everyone. Me at 6.0' ain't comfy at all. I sure will get tiresome on it pretty fast.

As to the winner, Burgman was such for more than a decade now. May your CB be at least half of that.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Good luck on the new bike. I've heard nothing good about the Honda DCT, hope it works for you. I didn't like the lack of wind protection, or the seating position. Great looking bike though, and the added fuel economy is a bonus, I just did not like the fit of the bike and have grown so comfortable with the step through.

My friend is the manager at a local honda/suzuki dealership and has not been impressed with the trans, but the bike looks great.
Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Nice sendoff!! :p

Good luck, Bernd. Get back to us next year and tell us what you're riding ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just sold my 2014 CTX DCT. Getting back on the Burg650.

Just was not the right bike for me. Liked my 06 burg better..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Galaxy... Congrats on getting back on the 650.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The entire Galaxy rejoined -- something you don't see very often in life :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts