Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...with a concern that from day 1, I get this sort of surge while maintaining city speeds. Now with over 2200 kms, I am also getting the groan and abrupt clutch engagement when talking off. Course a few seconds of throttle with that brakes engaged cures it briefly but it re-occurs the next day.
Now with warranty almost over, I booked the appointment for them (almost a month to get in) to see what is the problem.

They give me a Virago to ride back to work (ugh, cruiser) and I wait to hear from them. So apparently after 2 different test drives with different riders (service manager and GM) they conclude that yes, I am not imagining things.

Take off the cover, inspect the belt, call Suzuki, they tell them that the slight surging is "normal" at that speed as the belt is trying to find the right spot to engage (something like that) and that nothing is warrantable. When the advisor told me that the belt was glazed up and would I like a new one installed? Warranty? I asked, no, that would be on me. Hmm, yea that makes sense, I should pay for a new drive belt on a scoot with about 1300 miles and still under the 1 yr warranty period.

Anyways, I tell him I've got their used cruiser and he says they should be done putting it back together at the end of the day. Blowing out the dust and putting the cover on sounds like a big job :confused: Good thing I sort of understand how this all works as I installed the sliders a few months back.

So after work, I drop their bike off and pick up my keys and I ask what do I owe you (expecting a few bux, nothing outrageous) and he looks at the work order, $223 with tax.
Nice, its not like I'm some NKOTB, I've dealt with them for over 20 years. I've bought 4 motorcycles there, numerous parts and have the service department do the odd thing now and then.
He says he has to pay his mechanic and I agree, but I shouldnt be the one doing that IMO.

Anyone care to comment?

BTW, when I left the dealership, the bike took off so smooth, like day one. Sure the slight surge was still there but taking off from a stop was beautiful again.
But of course next day, back to the groan and abrupt engagement of the clutch. Oh well, Cést la vie.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I doubt it was the belt glazing. I've NEVER deglazed a belt. They normally go 20k maintenance free miles.

The clutch on the other hand does need deglazing, but at like 5-10k miles. Perhaps there was dust accumulated from being new and all. Does it run better?

Or perhaps you might be a bit sensitive to its feel. There are slight variations to the scooters feel during differing maturities of the clutch, belt and rollers. When the clutch is freshly deglazed, it feels very smooth, less so after a couple k. Still works fine, just not the same feel.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
+1 with Liam on this. Sounds like the clutch has glazed and needs cleaning and deglazing properly. Read up on this as it's important to do it properly. Belts don't glaze in any way that causes an issue.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Honestly man, not saying anything to the way your dealer handled it, but I've ridden everything from my old Honda Helix to the Silverwing and the Burgman. Even owned an Aprilia Mana for a while and every single CVT behaved this way for me - I know its from the stop n go traffic. It causes glazing sometimes within 20 miles. Just something I've learned to live with as its never hurt a thing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As for your dealership they've shown they have zero loyalty towards you.

Return the favor. Get your service elsewhere even if it means driving an hour.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I say again: Your bike was under warranty. Something didn't feel right. You asked them to check it. They charged you $225. You paid it.

My question would be why you paid it when they didn't do anything and if something was wrong warranty should have covered it. Just Say No!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Where they might have you is that you installed sliders, which they might blame it on. I don't know why anyone would do this on a new bike, but that might start an argument on here.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I'm a bit of a pushover when it comes to this type of thing too - so i probably would have paid it

I think the thing to be clear about before they start is - who will pay for the labor if not covered by the warranty, as he says he has to pay his mechanic

So maybe setting a max fee up front might have helped and you all would have been on the same page at least you would have covered say 1 hour of labor the rest was up to him or Suzuki , as you are a long term customer ? just a thought - since you asked ! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I haven't paid it yet, bill is still there. I told the GM that I haven't got the funds to pay for something like this at this time. No problem I was told but when I do come in to pay, I'm hoping for at least 1/2 off anyways.

Sliders they knew about and that doesnt affect anything except on throttle performance. For the better of course. No mention of this was brought up during the phone calls anyways. And actually, the GM has commented on the acceleration the Burg has tho, all positive.

I'm actually looking at a 2011 Burgman 650 they have (new) and have asked the GM what kind of deal I might looking at for a trade....I'm not sure if that will have any effect on this matter but we'll see in the next few days.

·
Registered
66 Posts
He will be happy to trade w/ you and you may have limited choices but do you really want to support a dealer with such poor customer service?

I wouldn't plead poverty on paying his bill I would say that the charges were unjustified.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts