Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Los Angeles is actually quite nippy right now. I can only imagine what the rest of the country must be going through. Any cold weather stories you wish to share?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Let's see...5 degrees in Grand Junction, Colorado at 8:45 PM, and it's supposed to get down to -7 tonight. Snowed overnight and most of the day and with the temps as they are, streets may not be safe for two wheels for a few days. Still, in front of the house today was a kid riding down the ice/snow covered street on his bicycle pulling a squealing kid on one of those disk "sleds". He had let a lot of air out of his tires and was doing pretty good!

·
Registered
71 Posts
We hit 76 here in Music City today, almost a new record high. But as always when it gets this warm this time of the year we are getting ready for heavy rain then possible ice by this weekend. But it was good to be able to get in a little riding today.

Dan

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Rode 130 miles through the mountains today with highs in the high 50s and low 60s. supposed to have ice and freezing rain by Saturday. Might be my last ride for a while as it is supposed to rain until the cold hits.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
S.E. Michigan got to the mid 50's , drove to the GYM and back about 6 miles each way . Finger tips got cold on the way there , on the way back it was a little warmer so hands were fine . No big deal but I just like to get out for a bit when possible , even if it's just for a quick trip . Normally I get a few rides a month all winter long , but I'm a die hard . Gotta get some heated gloves .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
753 Posts
My Burgman 650 sits in a heated garage so when I decided to meet a few other retirees for beans and cornbread at lunch I figured that it be interesting to ride the bike. If you call riding in 25 degree weather interesting that is.

But I pulled on my insulated coveralls, tugged a balaclava over my head put on my warmest gloves and took off on the 5 mile journey. It was cold but doable for that short of a ride. Needless to say I did not pass another two-wheeler on the way there or on the way back. I guess that they had more sense than I did.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
At 4am it's down to 62 here, so I'll put the liner back into the jacket, but it'll warm right up once the sun comes out and the liner can go back under the seat. Should be a beautiful day for riding - partly cloudy with highs in the low-80s. You guys really should come down here and ride along the beach!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I work overnight, often going to work if the temps have been near 50 during the day, it's still a pretty nice ride in. However, overnight the temps drop into the 20s. That ride home after a below freezing night can get miserable, especially my fingers! Still haven't found a solution for those cold cold fingers.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
oh man, just yesterday I had to go to buy a new pair of gloves Icon Justice to get my hands some more ventilation, because the GIVI Airflow is Awesome putting the wind away of your hands in WINTER, but it also makes you realize it works pretty well in summer! we're running around the 97F over here.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
It's 37 F here this morning and the temp is suppose to drop all day. They are calling upper 20s tonight with freezing rain. Once it drops below freezing it's suppose to stay that way until Sunday afternoon when it will get back up in the mid 30's. Needless to say I won't be testing my ice riding skills this weekend :(

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It was 30F this morning according to the Burg. SInce I just put a new rear tire on last night and haven't ridden it yet. I decided to drive the cage rather than risk riding with a tire with less than 100% traction on frosty frozen roads.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Right now it's in the mid-30s and a bit windy.

The ice and rain is supposed to hit tonight - knowing my luck, they'll call a district snow day tomorrow - grrrrrrrr.

According to what the radar is showing/predicting, the icy stuff won't hit my area until sometime after 2:15p local time (the radar only forecasts out that far). It has, unfortunately, been know to be wrong.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Rustydust -
I'm sitting back in total wonderment about how effen great those beans and cornbread must be to ride in 25 degree weather. :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Rustydust -
I'm sitting back in total wonderment about how effen great those beans and cornbread must be to ride in 25 degree weather. :)
Ha! I am well home before those beans start taking effect on me! :)

My wife would much prefer that I be all over the, ah, effects that beans cause my digestive system before I get home but alas, it takes well over an hour before I start making anything really putrid and it's too cold to have to ride around that long here in my part of Idaho right now! :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Gorgeous day in Southern Ontario - in the high 50s. :D
Nice to get out riding.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
We got to 72 yesterday, 68 this morning when I got up. Down to 47 now and is supposed to be 36 tomorrow. Working towards 31 on Saturday and staying in the high twentys and low thirtys for the next week. In Kentucky if you don't like the weather, just wait a day or two and it will be different.

Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
We got to 72 yesterday, 68 this morning when I got up. Down to 47 now and is supposed to be 36 tomorrow. Working towards 31 on Saturday and staying in the high twentys and low thirtys for the next week. In Kentucky if you don't like the weather, just wait a day or two and it will be different.

Doug in Kentucky
Sounds like around here. High yesterday afternoon was 79 at around 3 PM. High today was early this morning at 39. Currently 34. That's a 45 degree drop in 22 hours. :shock:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha! I am well home before those beans start taking effect on me! :)

My wife would much prefer that I be all over the, ah, effects that beans cause my digestive system before I get home but alas, it takes well over an hour before I start making anything really putrid and it's too cold to have to ride around that long here in my part of Idaho right now! :D
I told my wife once that the Burgman has such good wind protection, I could smell my farts at 60!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ditto for San Angelo, Texas

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
Got up at 5 AM, 14 deg's F. Put on all my gear including a Baclava and cranked up the heated grips to mid range. The wind coming over my cutdown GIVI was hitting me at just under the helmut and I had to adjust the baclava some. 41 miles in sub 20F was not fun, @ 70 MPH. I do need some more wind protection and I may just remove the shims at the bottom of my GIVI, that will raise the top some.

Just a bit of BLACK ICE too. My studded snow car tire was delivered today at about 12:45PM. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 167 Posts