Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a Burgman 400 Used for My wife , or maybe a silverwing ( she liked the look of that) so i went to scooterfinds.com and this is is the picture for all Burgmans, does the west coast like Burgmans more ?

I see some really good bikes in classified but they are not west coast friendly. Weird or What ?

[attachment=1:2gjy9kv8]burgies.png[/attachment:2gjy9kv8]

similar but at least some west coast on Silverwings
[attachment=0:2gjy9kv8]swing.PNG[/attachment:2gjy9kv8]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
A Burgman ( or any motorcycle) from out of California
has to be 7 years old before you can bring it into the state.
A fellow bought a brand new 650 somewhere in the East,
had it shipped-in, & ended up selling it, because he could not
get it registered.

The various on-line adds that you are looking at, may reflect that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Try Craigslist and search each area individually. Really. When we are bike shopping that is where we start. I just found this : 2003 Suzuki Burgman - $2000 (Fresno, CA). http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/3019245117.html
Ad does not list mileage but an email can take care of that.

CL is very good about showing misspelled results. I also search with misspellings. Here is one in Oakdale (not to be confused with Oakland) Suziki/Burgman 400 - $3200 (Oakdale, California),2007Suziki, good condition, 7100ml, $3200.00 or B.O, http://modesto.craigslist.org/mcy/3093336905.html

After checking your hometown I searched Sacramento and it took me to this Modesto post, 2006 Suzuki Burgman 400s Large Scooter - $3500 (Modesto ). (this one has higher mileage and he might have tidied up the garage before taking photos, I take that into consideration when I think about how the ride was treated)

All of that took about three minutes. It just depends how far you want to go to shop. For us 2 hours to Fresno is no problem. And you have to let your fingers do the walking. There are a few sites that compile the local listings for you. Try ALLOFCRAIGS also. But in my experience, you find better results checking each area yourself.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Both :thumbup:

To Be clear Scooterfinds searches both ebay and craigslist and groups them by Scooter and Location - so it wasnt that i couldnt find any, it was that the bulk of ones for sale are outside california .
but it also didnt include the one you found in modesto, neither did Searchtempest as it now only goes back 7 days :(

I wasnt aware of the import restriction so that was very handy to know, but still means that for californians we are pretty restricted ! :cry:

Anywayy all good info appreciate it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually the requirement to bring a used bike into CA is it must have at least 7,500 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
dhobin said:
Actually the requirement to bring a used bike into CA is it must have at least 7,500 miles on it.
See there...my old-timers disease got me again........

·
Registered
36 Posts
That seems to be one more oddity from California. Why would they want to require only older/higher mileage bikes to be allowed in? Is it to protect the dealers? Newer bikes would seem to me to be less polluting, if that is a big deal there. Does that same law pertain to autos also? This is the first I've heard of such a law and am just curious.
In the mean time, enjoy the ride.
Nodak Rider

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Scooterfinds.com is not good for much. When I had mine for sale, it hardly ever showed up on there.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
NoDak Rider said:
That seems to be one more oddity from California. Why would they want to require only older/higher mileage bikes to be allowed in? Is it to protect the dealers? Newer bikes would seem to me to be less polluting, if that is a big deal there. Does that same law pertain to autos also? This is the first I've heard of such a law and am just curious.
In the mean time, enjoy the ride.
Nodak Rider
It is my understanding that new vehicles built for sale in Calif often are required to have emissions requirements that are often not required by other states and federal laws. These emissions devices cost more money. This Calif law stops Calif residents from purchasing new or nearly new vehicles in other states and bringing them into the state. They figure that if a vehicle has 7500 miles on it that it is no longer new. It stops having a friend purchase a new vehicle out of state and then selling it to the Calif resident as used and bypassing Calif emission law requirements.

·
Administrator
18,347 Posts
dhobin said:
Well LeDude is bike down right now so buy a newer one out of state and "Loan" it to LeDude till it has 7,500 miles on it. He's in the Medford OR area, just a short hop from CA.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Dave_J said:
dhobin said:
Well LeDude is bike down right now so buy a newer one out of state and "Loan" it to LeDude till it has 7,500 miles on it. He's in the Medford OR area, just a short hop from CA.
California DMV: Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

This explains it pretty well.
You can bring a used vehicle (defined as having over 7.5K miles) into CA with no restrictions.
You can bring a new vehicle (fewer than 7.5K miles) into CA if:
- it meets CA emissions requirements as manufactured (should be indicated on the ID placard)
- it was registered to you in another state and you are moving to CA.
- you are military (or retiring military) and it was registered in the last state where you were stationed
...more at the link.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts