Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some previous posts, I removed my snorkel from the stock air cleaner after installing my Leo Vince exhaust to see if it made any difference in the performance. It seemed to make a slight difference, but the noise from the air cleaner increased significantly as stated in the posts. The increased noise from the air cleaner drowned out the exhaust tone. Using the stock air cleaner and snorkel, the exhaust seems to make little difference in the performance, but it sounds nice.

I have some questions, 1) What is the purpose of the snorkel, noise reduction or foreign matter diverter, 2) Does the K&N air filter "really" effect the performance of the 400 with the Leo Vince exhaust? 3) Do you use the K&N with or without the snorkel? 4) What is the sound level of the K&N? 5) Could a low resistance filter material be put in the snorkel hole to reduce the noise but not the air flow?

·
Registered
747 Posts
roy_ryall,

I would say it is for noise reduction ...

If you check most modern cars will have an odd looking plastic box running between air cleaner box and throttle body, this is a resonator chamber to offset induction noise.

So I guess you could experiment will longer snorkel to see what you get ?

Greg ...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Guys,

Yeah, don't remove the snorkel it makes the intake roar WAY too loud. It's like having an open pipe! I cut about 4 inches off the end of my snorkel and I'm guessing, but the mid range power is improved. From 50 to 70 the bike pulls very nicely now.
I don't know about the K and N filter, I haven't tried that.

Good Scootin'
Russ

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Russ, what is the intake noise level with the 4" cut off? Significantly quieter than no snorkel.

·
Registered
466 Posts
roy,

The trimmed snorkel (4 inches) is about the same noise level as the untrimmed snorkel. That puts the end of the snorkel near the middle of the air box instead of being very near the end and jammed against the cover. I'm afraid to trim any more but I might buy an extra snorkel and cut more off. I never had a switch to a K and N filter increase noise level but there is power to be had. I'm not sure if a K and N is available for the Burgman but I will buy one if there is.

Thanx
Russ

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Russ, the K&N air filter for the 400 is SU-2599. If you get one, let us know how it works.

On the Ron Ayer's site, the snorkel is $9.95, if I remember correctly. I am going to trim my snokel like yours and see what happens. I can always replace it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I took the snorkle out of my 400 recently but after a few days the noise was too much for me. Altough at first it seemed to improve performance, I think it was mainly the "peception" of improvemnt based on louder motor sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts