Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my '06 AN400 for 3 months now and have put 800 of it's 4100 miles on it. I just finished inspecting/adjusting my valve clearance for the first time. I changed the spark plug while I was in there, and cleaned the PAIR valve with a wire brush. The bike started right up afterward, but after a minute or so I smelled something. I noticed a small amount of (barely visible) white smoke coming from the bottom of the PAIR valve. I let it run for a good 15 minutes on the center stand but it did not stop smoking. Is this normal? I thought I detected this smell in the past but never saw any smoke until I had the tupperware off. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Most likely you just disturbed some deposits while cleaning the PAIR reed valve, and they are burning off--though a concern might be that the pair valve should not be so hot as to "burn" (as opposed to vapourise) oily deposits. A problem could be that the reed in the valve, which is there to prevent back flow of exhaust into the PAIR plumbing and solenoid, is not seating properly and exhaust gasses are flowing back through the reed valve causing it to heat abnormally.

You can see in this diagram that the "downstream" run from the reed valve is directly to the exhaust port. The gas flow is only supposed to be one way, I.e. air into the exhaust port drawn in by the low pressure "tail" of the exhaust gas pulse--and if the solenoid valve is open.

If the problem persists I would pull the reed valve (I know, PITA) and make sure the reed is seating--just to be sure...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cliff! I think you were right about deposits burning off. I have not been able to spot the smoke after riding a few days. The engine is running great and I am no longer getting the small backfire "pops" that I had been experiencing previously.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
bmansfie said:
Thanks Cliff! I think you were right about deposits burning off. I have not been able to spot the smoke after riding a few days. The engine is running great and I am no longer getting the small backfire "pops" that I had been experiencing previously.
Cool !!!

I did away with the whole thing just after I got the scoot and found it reduced the head pipe temperature quite a bit, I had noticed it glowing one night after a long run, doesn't do that anymore...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts