Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SMIDSY - sorry mate, I didn't see you - is proved not to exist in this interesting article from a fellow member of our Motorcycle Action Group here in Britain. Comments please.:(

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's a sad world we live in when it is always the other persons fault. Shame we can't opt out of this

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Sad story but not an uncommon one. The first thing you learn when riding a bike is that the drivers of some cars (or trucks) will fail to see you no matter what.

As for pulling out into the road because someone flashes their lights supposedly indicating all is clear. That is just a dump thing to do. Just because one person might be yielding right of way to you does not mean everyone else on the road will do likewise. Look and know what else is out there before you pull out.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
SMIDSY= BS to me I wear hi-viz and it's almost impossible to not see me.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I am not going to say that the SMIDSY maneuver is totally dead by this incident! It simply does not work every time on every person. The same can be said for hi-viz colors which do nothing for those who are color blind! I think SMIDSY is a good tool and should be used just as hi-viz colors, lights, wearing proper gear and most of all ridding defensively.

For those who don't know what SMIDSY is here is a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

·
Registered
133 Posts
A friend and I were talking about bike accidents and he (a non-rider) felt that most cagers are just not trained to look for bikes and only look at the bigger picture and are more likely to notice the bigger imposing cars when driving and not our smaller bikes. Visibility helps and I think we need more public awareness and education programs.

Wonder where the US stack up in terms of statistics compared to countries where scooters/motorcycles are more of the norm and main form of transportation.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Car drivers not seeing motorcycles are not nearly as bad now as they were in the 70s. I think it is because there are many smaller cars on the road now than were not there then.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Back in the 70s the US Navy did a study of why taxing pilots would sometimes run into unexpected things. What they found was that pilots were looking for specific things on the runways and taxiways. When something unusual was out there they would look right at it and not see it because their brains did not expect it to be there. They saw it but it did not register on their brains. The Navy ran experiments to verify this and found it really happens.

Same goes for car drivers looking at motorcycles and not seeing them. They don't expect them to be there so they don't see them. It doesn't matter if you have high vis on or lights on. Their brains will just not recognize something is there. That is why campaigns to get drivers to start looking for motorcycles are good things. If they are looking for them it will register on their brains that they are there.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
WARNING!!!
You see a guy's last seconds of life!
Footage from his helmet camera.

http://youtu.be/xq2xStb0R-c?t=2m50s

Doing 100 MPH on a 60 MPH 2-lane road, the rider was killed instantaneously, as a car turned in front of him.

The driver of the car has been sentenced to 12 months community service and lost license for eighteen months. He also paid £250 in community service and performed 130 hours of unpaid work.

If it was up to me, the estate of the Darwin award winner should pay damages to the unfortunate car driver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mercy Killers

I have a term for drivers who try to be nice by letting others turn in front of them. I call them “mercy killers.”

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Doing 100 MPH on a 60 MPH 2-lane road, the rider was killed instantaneously, as a car turned in front of him.

The driver of the car has been sentenced to 12 months community service and lost license for eighteen months. He also paid £250 in community service and performed 130 hours of unpaid work.

If it was up to me, the estate of the Darwin award winner should pay damages to the unfortunate car driver.
I agree with you! The bike rider was speeding. The car signaled his turn and there is a "slow" warning painted on the road approaching this intersection. The car driver should not have been punished especially to such a severe degree.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I can't read the speedometer and I'm not familiar with that bikes speedometer to know just from the needles orientation but if you can tell I'd think the police could figure out his speed. If he was speeding which it looks like he was I can't understand why the driver of the car was charged with anything.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The driver confessed he didn't see the motorcycle.

If he had said that he saw the motorcycle, but was convinced he had plenty time to complete the turn, I think he wouldn't have been penalized to the same degree.

That's the problem with people speeding on roads with intersections. They take up much more space and time than the ones following the flow of traffic, because the other road users have to play it safe when they want to cross their path, and have to wait until the speeder has passed them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't trust Hi-viz to help you! When I had my accident I was in bumper to bumper traffic which was barely moving, my lights were on and I was wearing a hi-viz jacket with a white helmet. I was even in the proper pathway of the lane for highest visibility and the car still pulled out and t-boned me but the thing that really frosts me is I was hit by an official drivers training car with the instructor showing the student how to drive! Not only do they breed, they also train each other on how to kill us!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Not long ago I had a near-miss from a fat blond woman in a SUV. I caught up with her at the light, pulled up next to her, and glared daggers at her. She rolled down her window and said, "Sorry, I didn't see you." I replied, "As I am a gentleman, I cannot give that remark the answer it deserves."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts