Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though most of you wouldn't buy a 49cc scooter, I just wondered what your top 3 choices would be. Just to scoot around on, a nice little stable mate for the Burgman. I wonder if someone will list something we have never heard of???? Maybe give a little info??????

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start this one off;

1. Italjet Dragster :D

2. Kymco Super 9 :D

3. Malaguti F12 Phantom :D

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Just as a stable mate to my 400 I would get a 49cc scooter just for running around local,
no plates, no insurance, fill the tank once a month, and some of them are "bullet proof"
But really my present ride handles all of that, and much more. . 8)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy,
So if you were to buy one, is there one in particular you would like to have? By the way I may change my 3rd choice to a Derbi GP1 :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think scooters are way too cool and I'm glad we are seeing so many new models and manufacturers coming to North America. If I can't have one of everything, I'd take one of these three (you choose for me 'cause I can't make up my mind):

1) Kymco People 50
2) Aprilia SR 50 Ditech
3) Honda Ruckus

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
JD wrote
Randy,
So if you were to buy one, is there one in particular you would like to have?
Not really, I would pick it the same way I pick all my bikes or cars
-settle on what I need, what, and can afford
-look at the specs .and decide
-then I would look at it to see if I like it, but that's the least important

·
Registered
56 Posts
JD said:
Even though most of you wouldn't buy a 49cc scooter, I just wondered what your top 3 choices would be. Just to scoot around on, a nice little stable mate for the Burgman. I wonder if someone will list something we have never heard of???? Maybe give a little info??????
JD,

Offhand, I agree with Rubble and choose the Ruckus for it's rugged look and performance. However I've seen many sharp looking small displacemnt scooters in dealer showrooms and at shows but am not savvy enough to remember model names, manufacturers etc. In my unscientific observation--Aprillia seems to corner the market on looks/styling. I love the Italian "designer " look to their scooters and could see myself tooling around on one.

BurgwomanUSA

·
Registered
103 Posts
Aprillia Scarabeo..... I owned two of these. Really stylish and will run 45 miles per hour carrying 230 lbs... powerful little bikes with 16 inch wheels....

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I like scooters but, for myself, I wouldn't go any smaller than my 650. It's perfect for me for short local trips, errands, etc. as well as touring. I live in a rural area and usually my shortest trips to town are at least 10 miles round-trip and on some pretty hilly roads.
Some years ago my wife had a 125 cc Honda scooter that would struggle up the hills (I'd actually lose speed climbing some) with my big butt on it. That grew old real quick and I never considered another scooter 'till I rode my Burgman. Now if they come out with a 750 or larger scoot I might find a stable mate for the 650.
Don

·
Registered
611 Posts
I also own a Yamaha Zuma II 50cc scooter, and Ann owns a Vespa ET2 50cc...

We use the little ones for around the neighborhood. I originally bought the Zuma to use when I go kayaking on rivers. It's small enough to easily be lifted into the bed of my truck, and I leave my truck downstream and ride the Zuma back upstrem in order to kayak down to my truck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Need to check out the PGO

I bought a PGO Bu Bu 125cc for my wife about a year and a half ago and it has been an awesome scoot. It is a 125 and will nail 65 mph very quickly. Very nice scoot and not one problem. It has been so good I bought the 50CC
PGO BIG Max and what a neat little scoot it is. It will do 50 mph out of the box stock. It has very nice big and wide tires and a fantastic ride. You all need to check out the PGO brand. Great quality and a very good price.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Little Scoot

I had a 49cc TN'G LS model (Twist N Go) which I absolutely loved. The price was right around $1000 with 1 year of service! I found the customer service to be expemplary and they have quite a decent dealer network around the country. Would highly recommend them. I was going to upgrade to the 125cc but didn't like the foot brake. They come in retro and regular styling. The website is http://www.tngscooters.com. They actually have a dealer Wheels in Motion in Corydon! 812-738-3344
http://www.wheelsinmotion.ws

Best of luck.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Kymco Super 9s. Mine has been slightly modified with a shock, light weight rollers and tuned for a K&N filter. I've been on 120 mile rides-no problem. (See my avatar) Go to http://www.scooterbbs.com if you want more info, this question gets asked often there.
One word of note; the 50cc are limited. They are OK around town but on faster moving highways they could use another 10 mph. I've been looking at a Kymco People 250 lately, it's more of an all around scooter.

Thanx,
Russ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe not in Cali

Be careful, some of the 49cc scooters are not legal in California. The whole no plates or insurance thing is a misnomer. Something like a Kymco or Ghila 49cc scooter is not FMVSS compliant and can not be registered. As such it can not be ridden on the road in California.

Some people believe that the small scooters with a 49cc motor fall within the "motorized scooter" exception. They do not. Also, as of January 1st you must have a class C license for a motorized scooter.

Just for info.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ScubaGirl,
Thanks for the website plug!! I agree, the TN'G scoots are pretty nice for an entry level product. I have only been selling them for about 5 months, but have never had one come back for repairs as of yet. If anyone is ever in my area, stop on by!! It would be nice to meet some people from this forum. You never know, some of you may just pass through here this spring or summer :wink:

·
Registered
611 Posts
The 49cc bit isn't all that it takes. Ann's Vespa ET2 is registered as a moped and therefore requires no operator license in Texas. My Yamaha Zuma II is registered as a motorcycle and requires a motorcycle license (both 49cc). Oddly - any vehicle registered as a moped is not allowed to exceed 25 (or 30?) mph no matter what license the operator has.

So basically the 49cc scooters have a lot of extra rules, and they vary state to state.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In Indiana, the laws on scooters are pretty messed up too. You do not have to register one as long as it is 49.9cc's or less, but at the same time it must be classified as a scooter, which means step through design and fixed floorboards. The scoots that look like the old mopeds actually must be registered, licensed, and insured. The problem with that is, in Indiana, you cannot license a 2 or 4 stroke 49cc. It must be at least 70cc's!!! Or at least that is what I have been told by a DOT officer and the license branch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ultimate 50cc Scoot

Too bad we can't get these here in the states http://www.yamaha-racing.com/aerox/index2.asp ... I would gladly replace my Vento Triton R4 with the Rossi replica Aerox. From what I gather it is probably nearly identical to the Kymco Super9 and Derbi GP1 all having high performance liquid cooled two-strokes with front and rear disc brakes. They are fun around town and I always get lots of good attention on the little scoots.

The Vento is not bad for $1500 but not quite the quality of a Kymco. I have ridden with the Yamaha Zuma and although it accelerates slightly quicker, the Vento will outrun in top speeds. The Super9, however, leaves both in the dust both off the line and top speed. Now that I have the Majesty I haven't ridden the little scoot much, but it is easier to handle in downtown traffic and the little scoots still have a place for lots of city commuters.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts