Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today, I took my first small dump while riding. I was going around a small hairpin turn that I am very familiar with, as a truck was approaching from the other direction. Long story short, I slowed and coasted around the turn, barely moving, but somehow got to close to the edge of the pavement, which had a 6 inch drop plus a guardrail. The bike caught the drop and fell, partially wedging itself under the gaurdrail. Some passing motorists stopped and helped me get it out and uprighted.

All lower tupperware panels and CVT case cover trashed, but they can be replaced.

Main problem is this. The force caused the castings on the engine case to fracture along the very top main pivot bolt. The caused the entire engine/drive train to come out of alignment. I have stripped the bike down now and will have to order new tupperware, but I am overly concerned over the case damage. Are we looking at a new set of engine cases/totally new engine/other etc?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm no expert at this, so take the free advice for what you paid for it... But that's not good. Really not good.

Many better bikes have been totaled for just the Tupperware alone, but a badly cracked pivot bolt? I don't know if I'd trust it even if it could be fixed. Lord knows what else is cracked or twisted out of alignment.

I'd do the insurance route. Let them figure it out. Sorry, I'm not trying to be harsh, but you do have your future safety to be concerned about.

For what its worth, I'm really bummed for you. This stuff sucks.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
It's a goner , bet on it .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
347 Posts
WOW! I am trying to imagine what had to happen to do that. I would think that there would be some frame damage too. If the bike is found out to be repairable, I don't know if I want it back. Sorry for your misfortune.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sort of annoys me more than anything. I was barely moving at all. Just swung too wide to let the truck go by and the front wheel caught the edge of the pavement and dropoff. I have fallen further and worse riding my bicycle and only sustained a scraped elbow.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sort of annoys me more than anything. I was barely moving at all. Just swung too wide to let the truck go by and the front wheel caught the edge of the pavement and dropoff. I have fallen further and worse riding my bicycle and only sustained a scraped elbow.
What's the old adage about football... Its a game of inches, not yards. So is riding.

So sorry for your loss.:(. But at least you weren't hurt.

My buddy went down right in front of me a few months ago. Poof, his MP3 400 was gone in a cloud of dust. But he was unhurt thanks to proper riding gear, insurance paid off quick and now he's on a 650 and quite happy with a few extra bucks to spare. When life shuts a door... Sometimes it opens a window.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, its a goner. Even if the cost of the cases and tupperware didn't total it, the labor cost to pull out everything out of the broken cases, put it in the new cases, then reseal it up surely would. Insurance will total it. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Glad you're OK and sorry about the Burgman.

If you don't have full coverage I'd say parting it out would bring in the most dollars but you'll have the hassle of making a deal for each part. Otherwise you could sell it as a rolling chassis/parts bike.

I'd also give some thought to keeping the bike and getting another 08 or newer. Then you would have a rolling set of spares.

Sorry this really does stink. I've been there and done that with a 2002 Triumph 955 Daytona that went poof (rod through the side of the motor, bent valves, etc) on a dyno run in 2004. It was a road race bike so no insurance. That was about $10,000 up in smoke.

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
Glad you are okay. I don't like hairpins at the best of times especially inside downhill.
Doewnside of a Burgman 650 it's vulnerable to expensive minor mishaps that my KLR would shrug off.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
AROTH, sorry to hear this. Glad you are ok. But yes, as the guys are saying, the engine needs new cases and a complete rebuild. Would suggest you do not attempt to alloy weld the cases. The pivot as you no doubt know is a critical load area. You may get a replacement engine complete on Ebay or somewhere like that if you shop around. My good friend needed a new 2011 engine and got one for £300 GB from ebay last year. The engine was from a near new bike with just 300 miles on it which had crashed at low speed with no damage to the engine. I fitted it for him. It was an easy job. No motor stripping at all. That would be your best bet. Good luck and keep posting if you need some help. We'll all do our best. It's a difficult time for you being without your baby!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash and I hope things work out for you. Like others have I hope you have full coverage. And like Liamjs said "When life shuts a door... Sometimes it opens a window" and I hope that is the case for you.
Off topic but.
Do you keep your scooter outside? I ask this because in the pictures I noticed the spacers (washers) on the pivot bolt are rusty. I'm wondering if that is just from normal riding, rain and whatnot. I've never been impressed with the paint job the factory puts on the frame.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It has always been garage kept. Ridden in the rain or on wet pavement only a few times.

Talked to the insurance company today and made arrangements to have it sent to the local Suzuki authorized dealership. Talked briefly on the phone with the body shop man and explained the total damage and he felt like it would probably be totaled by State Farm, but we will see when it gets there. I told him it was mostly apart now so he said at least bring over all the parts so that when the State Farm rep looks at it, he won't question why he was looking at just a stripped down frame.

I did put most all of the undamaged tupperware back on and found no issues with fit anywhere, so it seems that the frame did not suffer. Sad, since the rest of the scoot looks almost pristine. Seems like all it needs is a new engine and new lower tupperware and muffler, but again, that is all up to the insurance gods now........

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You'll be back riding in no time! Maybe a 650 this time around?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
AROTH that's just about what I figured. If the paint on cars and trucks had the frames painted as bad as scooters we would be replacing them every other year, heck every year up north the way they salt the roads in the winter.
Back on topic, you are still here and most of the time people seem to make out Ok on motorcycle insurance claims. I hope all works out well for you and you get back on the road quickly.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You are screwed.

Today, I took my first small dump while riding. I was going around a small hairpin turn that I am very familiar with, as a truck was approaching from the other direction. Long story short, I slowed and coasted around the turn, barely moving, but somehow got to close to the edge of the pavement, which had a 6 inch drop plus a guardrail. The bike caught the drop and fell, partially wedging itself under the gaurdrail. Some passing motorists stopped and helped me get it out and uprighted.

All lower tupperware panels and CVT case cover trashed, but they can be replaced.

Main problem is this. The force caused the castings on the engine case to fracture along the very top main pivot bolt. The caused the entire engine/drive train to come out of alignment. I have stripped the bike down now and will have to order new tupperware, but I am overly concerned over the case damage. Are we looking at a new set of engine cases/totally new engine/other etc?
Your bike is broken past repair. You may be able to find a wrecked Burgman to score a replacement engine and some tupperware. Take what your insurance will pay out and prepare to roll up your sleeves. Other than that, you are screwed. Take the payout and go shopping for a used Burgman.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
285 Posts
That crash sounded bad and I'm glad you are okay!

A little bit of JB Weld and you'll be just fine!

I wish I could mean that but it looks to me like you need a new case and I bet that would be very expensive.

Keep us informed.

Sam:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dropped off the Burg today at the dealership. He will write up an estimate for State Farm and we will see what they decide. Outta my control right now.

He did note that the fractured pivot point on the cases was extremely odd. Oh, well......

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well...maybe start checking CL for a plastic-wrecked Burg? If you can wrench, you could either swap your Tupperware onto it, or its motor/drivetrain into yours.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Sorry to hear of your mishap. To bluntly answer your question, " am I screwed?", In my opinion, yes, you are, and not in a good way!:( I hope your insurance company treats you well!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts