Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reality, to slow down at intersections so that one can see a driver (coming from a 90 degree angle, not the opposing direction) running the light,etc. and being able to stop in time to avoid that driver,I think one would actually have to slow down to such a slow speed that the new risk would be getting hit from behind. Anyone see my point? It is a nice thought to slow down but - in reality - I don't think it would work. If u think it would work, what speed should one slow down to?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hey Tom........! Interesting posting...Honest!!!!! hahahahahahaha.. I was just talking about that subject and even on a green light - I always slow down when going thru an intersection..AND cover both brakes as well! JUST IN CASE.....!!! I never want to get T-boned by a left turner talking on his or her cell phone.............

If i am already travelling at a normal speed and the light is green - i always just back off the throttle and look in both directons. If I am standing at a red light - i still look both ways when it changes to green. before accelerating... Speed.???? That depends on the type of road and the amount of traffic.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Tom I would say your analysis is correct, at least on the urban corners where buildings are only a sidewalk distance from the road. On those you are not going to see a vehicle coming from 90 degrees in time to stop unless you have dropped to a pretty slow pace. As you say, that will increase you chances of being hit from behind because most drivers are not going to do that. They will assume that if the light is green they have the right away and will proceed at whatever speed they are running.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
When I approach an intersection, I don't always slow a bit - only when I perceive danger.

What I always do is change my lane position to provide myself the best line of sight to detect danger, and to make myself most visible.

Be aware of what structure and other vehicles can hide a fast-moving vehicle that could be a threat, such as a small car overtaking large truck making a left.

You've got to develop a "sixth sense" for these threats. I can't count the times I got "the willies" and slowed down, only to have a car come screaming out of dead space. If I hadn't slowed or changed lane position, the outcome could have been a collision.

Don't be too fearful of what's behind you. Statistics show that 90% of the threat to a motorcyclist is in front.

If you worry so much about what you're gonna get up your tailpipe that you are obsessively looking in your mirrors instead of to the front, or not slowing down for perceived dangers - you're going to take one right in the kisser.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Good post

I generally try and use another vehicle as a shield where possible.

The ones that bother me most are multiple vehicles at an intersection some turning in various directions - some crossing etc - especially at stop signs where I have the right of way in theory- too many threats to keep an eye on - then I will proceed cautiously.

Eye contact is good and if I think a driver is inattentive the horn and the high beams go on.

Don't like late left turns on advanced greens - some of them are absolutely vile.

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
Out here we do not have too many totaly blind intersections, just totaly blind drivers. :D That said, I do slow down for most intersections but I also watch my mirrors. I will not get setup as a "Sitting Duck". Too many times in my life I proceeded into an intersection with a green light that had been green for over 10 seconds only to have a car/pickup/simi/bus fly by inches from my frontend but I seen them comming and braked in time. By pure luck I have not been rearended and shoved into that cross traffic red light runner, but I have seen it happen a few times. I have stopped at a light, watching my mirrors and seen the car behind not slowing and blown through the red to avoid the rear crash.

But in the far past I have busted thru an intersection at over twice the posted speed limit. Not proud of that and I do not do that any more officer.

I will not proceed from a stop into an intersection untill I am sure cross traffic is not busting thru a red light. About two weeks ago in Redmond WA (Microsoft HQ) I was at a red light and when it turned green I did not move and the millionare behind me in a Bentley Continental got on the horn, just as a ML55 AMG Merc ran the light and would have creamed me and him at 45 MPH+++. Bet he felt small. I seen it comming from the left and knew it was not going to stop.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Just use your COMMON SENSE.
When I approach the busy intersections around here that I know have lots of accidents, I always back of the throttle to ENSURE I am doing the speed limit or maybe 5 BELOW and I START LOOKING at CROSS traffic for signs of problems (sirens, flashing lights, somebody about to run the light, whatever). It's been my experience that backing off the throttle a bit is fine and one instance I had to go FULL throttle to avoid being hit as I entered an intersection..the driver was heading into the rising sun and either was blinded or ignored the red light....but just use your common sense...it isn't ROCKET science. How would you get hit from behind...you totally back off the throttle and try to coast thru the intersection? Don't OVERthink this.

REd light cameras are being installed around town so HOPEFULLY that will make at least some of the intersections safer.

tomfelock said:
In reality, to slow down at intersections so that one can see a driver (coming from a 90 degree angle, not the opposing direction) running the light,etc. and being able to stop in time to avoid that driver,I think one would actually have to slow down to such a slow speed that the new risk would be getting hit from behind. Anyone see my point? It is a nice thought to slow down but - in reality - I don't think it would work. If u think it would work, what speed should one slow down to?

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Some times the slower speed may work against you, the person may think you are about to stop or turn. As for eye contact forget it, you are invisible. I try to ride with another bigger vehicle and look for a way out. I also try to avoid going through that type of intersection.

What troubles me is when I have a truck to my right or left at 90 degrees and cannot see to his far side. That can be a real surprise. I like to see where i am going and not into the side of a car.

Too bad the people driving the cars do not have the same mind set as a guy riding two wheels without a cage around them. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Daboo posted something like this before; the Ratio of Speed to Stopping Distance:

http://www.jmu.edu/safetyplan/vehicle/generaldriver/stoppingdistance.shtml

His was prettier.

So, if you factor in reaction time + stopping distance, you get almost 20 FEET going 40mph instead of 45mph through an intersection. 20 Feet can mean the difference between impact and near collision easily. We're not talking about a paltry couple of feet.

You get almost 70 FEET of extra stopping distance if you go 45mph through a 55mph intersection.

When I say I slow down when things look hairy, I'm not talking about going 25 through a 45 intersection. I'm saying 5-10 mph slower. It can help a lot.

No sir, I'm not worried about what is behind me. If the intersection looks hairy, I'm slowing a bit.

I think anyone who has read a dozen of my posts here on BUSA knows I like to ride aggressively on country roads with lots of curves. But, I don't dick around with intersections.

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
Like Rusty said, don't think too hard on this. EVERY time you slow down ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS modulate your brake lights by ether a brakelight modulater or with your fingers. You must let the fool behind you know the fool infront of him/her is slowing down.

I have had a driver come up beside me and say "Your stupid brake light flashes 5 times and is BANNED WORD anoying". :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: I repled "It did its job and got your attension and you seen me."

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
If the speed limit on the approach roads and thru the intersection, is say 45 mph, it makes no SENSE to slow down RAPIDLY or to go more than 5 mph under the speed limit. Unless you hit your brakes, simply letting off the throttle will allow nice slow down. As I wear a FULL FACE TINTED shield most of the time, EYE contact is no guarantee. Watch the rims of the car. IF you are trying to look at the driver's eyes, that's absurd...you'll miss the fact that the car is MOVING or creeping. IF the wheels are turning, the CAR is moving regardless of eye contact with the driver. As I reported in a sep thread, a headlight MODULATOR is the BEST thing going for you as you approach an intersection, especially a BUSY one. Do NOT do anything UNEXPECTED or UNPREDICTABLE...that contributes to accidents. Look for an out and keep a wary eye BEHIND you. I have modulating brake lights and I am NOT afraid to tap em perioically.

Chet_Benson said:
Some times the slower speed may work against you, the person may think you are about to stop or turn. As for eye contact forget it, you are invisible. I try to ride with another bigger vehicle and look for a way out. I also try to avoid going through that type of intersection.

What troubles me is when I have a truck to my right or left at 90 degrees and cannot see to his far side. That can be a real surprise. I like to see where i am going and not into the side of a car.

Too bad the people driving the cars do not have the same mind set as a guy riding two wheels without a cage around them. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
MSF instructor said to us in his class over and over again many years ago "ride like u r invisible" and "the minute u start riding like u have the right-of-way.....u may be dead right" He didn't say, and I'm not saying, be paranoid when u ride........just think about it. :thumbup:

Reactions: Chozen1

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sun viser

[ entered an intersection..the driver was heading into the rising sun and either was blinded or ignored the red light...

How to avoid heading into the rising sun.

I have a HJC -IS-33 3/4 helmet. In the early morning or late afternoon the sun was right in my eyes. HJC has a very nice sun shade built into the helmet but it does not block out the sun like a car sun visor. So I made my own sun visor. Duck tape now comes in all colors besides silver. Just install it on your face shield. Now when I'm driving directly into the sun I just tilt my chin down just a little bit and it works just like the sun visor in my car.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I have not done that because I keep the visor open to the first detent 75pct of the time and closed 25pct of the time. I have to really nail down the perfect width for that compromise. Rather, I would like to apply it to the built in sun shade. Thanks for the idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts