Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our members has a strange problem.

the CVT slips

the sensor removed from the CVT, it is wet with oil, and if you look in the CVT through the sensor hole you see hanging oil,

Also the the CVT filter is not dry (oil?)

Make 2002 aprox 25000 miles

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
We'll that is problem, the CVT assembly is an oil free zone.

It's going to need to come out - a fairly labour intensive job.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Primary seal and O ring ? NOT GOOD !

TheReaper!

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
Max-T, the CVT belt is now ruined. There is no saving it. But the engine is also in need of repair. There is a seal between the engine and CVT that has gone bad. It will require a total re-build of the engine and CVT. Your friend has what most of us would call a "Parts" bike. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
Max-T, is that seal pressed in from inside the engine or outside? If outside then the whole engine case would not need to come apart. Then it would just be a total clean up of the pullys and a new belt.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave

If I look at the drawing and the DIY movies Ledude made when he repaired his CVT

I think you have to open the CVT case and remove everything before you can change that oil seal :rolleyes:

Repairing this by your local dealership is gonna cost you plenty €

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well I do not believe this is totally gloomy.

It is just a case of -do you have the facilities and time to commit to tearing it down. The actual job once you get to the area of interest and action is not difficult. It is the overall tear down and rebuild that is daunting.

On the positive side winter is a good time to tackle this! A weekend would cover the tear down, you will then have a pause awaiting parts and can the tackle the reassembly in 'bite size chunks' a couple of hours each evening.

Besides what else is there to do in Belgium at this time of year? :p

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
<<<SNIP>>>

Besides what else is there to do in Belgium at this time of year? :p
Uh, make small Belgium's that appear 9 months later. :twisted:

Drink GOOD Bier, Wine and food when not making small Belgium's.

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
It could also be #2 or #3 seal in the primary gear. This Primary gear is what the CVT adapter goes into. If that seal failed there would be oil on the other side all over the Primary adapter if you remove the CVT Primary adapter cover on the left side. There are three seals keeping oil out of the CVT.

View attachment 19250

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hmmm now I know the gut feeling when buying my Burgman to go for the 400 instead of the 650 was a good one. I am mechanically trained but do not have a workplace to work on bike unless i take SWMBO car out of the garage and this leads to arguments if i do not finish job in 5 minutes LOL, but consider my bike to be fun to ride, with minor maintenance. Glad I have learn't to go with my gut feelings. But looking at the diagrams i do not see any problem just having a warm place to work in and patience to do the job and the 650 will be back on road with the riders Burgman grin back in place..

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's a good point, Muse. I can well see how evicting's SWMBO's vehicle could cause a line of conversation to begin which might not end well. On the other hand, Max T's in Belgium, and warm sunny days are a way off.

One cool thing which has been popping up here and there are self-service garages. You can rent space with a lift and tools and some friendly advice; it works well if you don't have your own space. This one is in Washington state in the Pacific Northwest, but you can probably find something closer - generally in a fairly large city, I'd think. Maybe this'll help.

http://selfservegarage.com/

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hmmm now I know the gut feeling when buying my Burgman to go for the 400 instead of the 650 was a good one. I am mechanically trained but do not have a workplace to work on bike unless i take SWMBO car out of the garage and this leads to arguments if i do not finish job in 5 minutes LOL, but consider my bike to be fun to ride, with minor maintenance. Glad I have learn't to go with my gut feelings. But looking at the diagrams i do not see any problem just having a warm place to work in and patience to do the job and the 650 will be back on road with the riders Burgman grin back in place..
"Hmmm now I know the gut feeling when buying my horse and buggy instead of a automobile was a good one," I muse as I visit an auto dealers service department. :D

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
"Hmmm now I know the gut feeling when buying my horse and buggy instead of a automobile was a good one," I muse as I visit an auto dealers service department. :D
"Now I know the gut feeling when buying my wheel cart instead of a horse and buggy was a good one," I Muse as I follow the blacksmith and the veterinarian when they go around on their visits.

A better comparison is a thoroughbred horse and a donkey, except our thoroughbreds don't have problems going the donkey's pace, they just eat more.

A donkey is very good at doing what it does, but it's not a horse.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I felt the same way and my first Burgman was a 400. However, when it was totaled, the best available Burgman after mine was totaled by a rear end accident was a 650. When you have had both, you realize that the 400 is a nice large scooter and the 650 is a nice mid-sized motorcycle. world of difference.

I got to thinking about it and the reasons I initially used to buy the 400 over the 640 (ease of repair, probability of problems, etc) are the same reasons my Dad used in the late 50s and early 60s to not buy a car with an automatic transmission or power steering.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I got to thinking about it and the reasons I initially used to buy the 400 over the 640 (ease of repair, probability of problems, etc) are the same reasons my Dad used in the late 50s and early 60s to not buy a car with an automatic transmission or power steering.
In that time period, your dad was exactly right, but the technology has vastly improved over the intervening half-century. I am simply astounded at the quality of the transmission on my Burg 650.

It's the first auto transmission I've owned since an '85 Camaro we bought new. The Dragon Lady blew SEVEN torque converters out of the poor thing in seven years. Perhaps the bar is set kinda low in my case... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
In that time period, your dad was exactly right, but the technology has vastly improved over the intervening half-century. I am simply astounded at the quality of the transmission on my Burg 650.

It's the first auto transmission I've owned since an '85 Camaro we bought new. The Dragon Lady blew SEVEN torque converters out of the poor thing in seven years. Perhaps the bar is set kinda low in my case... :rolleyes:
In the early and mid 80s, most of us with company cars where I worked chose GM products. The transmission failed in nearly every one before they were replaced. My 83 Celebrity had the transmission go bad twice in 50,000 miles and I had had enough (2 of my last 3 GM cars had problems). I went to Chrysler products and had no more problems. A couple of years later, the company went strictly with Ford products and wouldn't allow anything else. I think the expense of repairs and the cost of downtime drove them away from GM products. I've gone back and had a few personally in the last few years with no issues.

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
Ok if we can get off the bashing of the 650's CVT again.....

Max T, the problem of dropping the CVT is the whole engine must be dropped down to remove it. But if you could just cut the tube out of the way, remove the CVT, do the CVT rebuild, put it back in place and connect the tube back together it would save hours.

Look at these tubing connectors below. You cut enough tubing off each end to make room for these connectors, slide the connector in both ends, align the connectors, snug the bolts down and weld the connectors to the tubes.

CLICK ME
View attachment 19289

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Ok if we can get off the bashing of the 650's CVT again.....

Max T, the problem of dropping the CVT is the whole engine must be dropped down to remove it. But if you could just cut the tube out of the way, remove the CVT, do the CVT rebuild, put it back in place and connect the tube back together it would save hours.

Look at these tubing connectors below. You cut enough tubing off each end to make room for these connectors, slide the connector in both ends, align the connectors, snug the bolts down and weld the connectors to the tubes.

CLICK ME
View attachment 19289

Dave do you have a link for these connectors ?

TheReaper!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts