Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 650, 4k miles

Got my machine back from the shop , had them look it over and change all the oils.
Next day I notice a small puddle of oil on the floor back near the end of the final drive.
Wiped it off , figured it was a bit of a sloppy by the tech and went on my way.

Next day I noticed another small oil spot, took the outer cover off, wiped it dry, checked all the drain bolts, engine, transmission, final drive all tight :?

Wiped everything off again , went riding yesterday, no noticeable drip or puddle of oil at breakfast stop, none during the ride at stops.
This morning there is another small spot on the garage floor :(

Dealer is closed today , so unless I can figure it out I will take it back tomorrow :roll:

Suggestions , ideas , does the rear final drive have a breather hole ?
It may just be a little over filled ????????????????

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I would start by doing the obvious, take the final drive cover off and make sure that the drain plug isn't leaking.

If it isn't that, it could be the seal in your final drive that is leaking, easy enough to replace...

check this thread: Final drive leak

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I would probably pull the fill pug and at least check the oil level. You should be able to find the source of the leak I would think by looking it over good with a light.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would take it back to the shop where you had the work done and tell them that you had no leaks until they worked on it and you expect them to fix the problem. You paid good money for good service and that is what you should get.

Bill

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done all the obvious as suggested, actually I did all that before posting initially.

Just wondered if there was something i had missed , or thought maybe there was a breather hole on the back side of the unit . As far as i can tell there is no breather hole, so it's probably a bum crush washer .

Looking at the invoice i see that all the crush washer's were replaced .

My dealer is super to work with and I am sure he will have me back on the road with no leaks in a few minutes tomorrow.
No big deal IMHO.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had a leak coming from the final drive and it was just that some of the bolts holding it together had loosened a little and it was seeping out around the gasket. Tightened all the bolts and problem solved. Dealer wanted to tear it down and replace the gasket. Over a year ago and no more leaks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update ;

Took the bike back to the shop this morning and as suspected the drain crush washer was bad.

It looked to be a bit too large on the OD so when the bolt went in it crushed it crooked.
It was a white metal ( aluminum) type that came from Suzuki in one of their parts bags.
We replaced it with a copper washer , I'll keep an eye on it . :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts