Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Slight misfire above 3000 rpm

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Buffalo 
#1 ·
Hi all
Can anyone set my mind to rest?
My 2011 650 is showing FI light. So i took it to my local main dealer who diagnosed the idle speed module as being the culprit. As the light was not showing anymore they told me that they had reset it and hopefully it would not show again.
24 hours later it was back on. It seems to idle ok but seems a little chokey when accelerating through 3k rpm.
Would that still point to idle controller?

#2 ·
Not sure what you mean by "idle speed module." There's an intake air control (IAC) valve which the engine control module (ECM) uses to control the idle RPM and a throttle position sensor (TPS) that's one of the primary inputs to the ECM. If the IAC is faulty then I'd expect the idle speed to wander all over. If the TPS is faulty, the bike will no doubt run like s**t.

It would help if you could grab the FI code and post it. Search the 650 forum for info on how to activate "dealer mode" to get the FI code displayed on the instrument panel.

FWIW, my 650 has never misfired as far as I can tell, and accelerates through 3000RPM with no hesitation whatsoever.

#3 ·
I agree, you should put the ECM in dealer mode and see what code it is showing. That would indicate what the ECM thinks is wrong that it causing it to turn the FI indicator on.

To do that all you need to do is locate the plug that will be pushed down beside the 40 amp fuses under the left front side of the seat. Take the cover off the plug and use a short piece of wire to short between the white with red wire and the black with white wire. The code should show on the dash where the odometer normally shows.

#4 ·
Hey guys thanks for your quick response.
I'm no mechanic as you can probably tell. I'm new to the bike as I've only had it about three weeks. My mate in London gave me the bike as a gift when he upgraded to the 2014 model so I can't complain about a fault on it, I'm very lucky to have it.
As the FI light has gone out again would it be safe to wire the loop in so I can read the code when it shows again. Because stopping the engine to unlock the seat seems to reset the fault.
I'm told that it does have an idle control module (I'm sure that is what I was told) on the 2011 and that this will cost £325 ($400) to replace at my main dealer, I hope he is right cause I don't want to spend this money for no reason. Sorry to be an idiot.

#6 ·
If you wire it in now you will not be able to see the odometer. It will show a C00 code until such time as the FI indicator comes on again. You can obtain a switch from Suzuki that you can plug into that plug then when the FI indicator comes on you can just flip the switch to read the trouble code. You can leave it hanging outside the seat so that you do not have to kill the engine.

Another thing you should be aware of is that the code will go away when you turn the key off. It will not come back on when you restart the bike unless the ECM sees a fault. Basically what the ECM does is that if it does not get a signal from a sensor for a specific time frame or it gets a reading from a sensor that is outside the range that it considers valid then it turns the FI indicator on and sets a code that tells you what sensor it found the fault with.

The valve you are talking about is probably the ISC valve. A bad reading from it causes the computer to set a code of C40 to display on the dash. I don't think it would cause the misfire at 3,000 rpm you are talking about. It basically just controls the idle speed.

Is that price he is quoting you the price for just the valve or the price including labor to install it. The valve list for $261 here in the USA. The valve it's self is easy to remove and install but you have to remove the front box to gain access to it so there is bit of labor involved. Hard to believe it would be $200 worth though.

#8 ·
Thanks guys for all your help.

I'm really sorry not to have got back earlier but work took me away.

I'm a bit of a technophobe but I'm am insured by suzuki that the computer holds a history of the FI codes so I'm taking in for the new valve on Thursday and in future I'll have to learn to get things done for myself at these prices.

But thanks for the information. I'm going to try to get hold of one of these cables.

Nigel.

#9 ·
The ECM does retain what are called the "P" codes but not the "C" codes that you can access with the dealer mode switch. To retrieve the "P" codes requires a special reader. The "P" codes are more detailed than the "C" codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.