Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just took a 400+ mile trip and was going up some pretty steep mountains and hills. Somehow, I still got 72mpg. I'm thinking about it, is this because when going up a hill it puts it in a lower "gear"? I could be completely off, but thought I would check.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It seems that a lot of the people who get the really high mpg's on their 400's come from States with liberal marijuana laws. Wonder if there is a correlation. Might be worth telling the weed doctor about my depression from getting only 53-55.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
A CVT transmission is operating 90+% of the time at optimum RPM thus the mpg does not vary as much as it does with a manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Were you riding at high altitudes. The electronic fuel injection leans the mixture down at higher altitudes which gives better mileage. When I was riding my 650 up in the high mountains of Colorado I was getting 60+ mpg which is the highest mileage I've ever gotten on it. Never had my 400 at altitudes like that but I suspect it would react the same way.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
When riding into higher altitudes and fueling up - keep in mind that the octane rates are different! They are usually a couple of points lower because of the higher elevation. Not a problem while you ride there but once you go back down the octane may then be too low and detonation occur. I live in the Rocky Mountain octane zone so I use regular here but if I were going to travel into a lower elevation I would buy a grade higher just to be safe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't know what you call a mountain in AZ, but here in VA and WVa my 400 gets worse mpg when riding in the mountains. Everyone I know that had a scooter or car with a CVT sold them because of the performance in the mountains. I don't believe you got 72mpg in the mountains unless you cut the engine off and drifted down the mountain.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The highest peaks in VA and WVa are in the range of 6,000 feet. The highest peaks in AZ are in the range of 12,000 feet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, those are mountains in AZ. Now I really don't believe that he got 72mpg. I regularly get between 65-70mpg with my 05 Burgman 400 travelling up and down the interstate. Rideing the interstate, even a tail wind or head wind has an effect, mountains change that even more.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know what to say. I checked the math 3 or 4 times. It came out to 72. I was pretty shocked myself. I just kept the cruise control on where it didn't break 6,xxx rpm. Maybe that was it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts