Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - so these 21g sliders are pretty good, but it seems about 800 to 1000 miles after I install them all the sudden your riding along and notice the RPM's on the freeway are back up to about where they are with the rollers. I take it all apart and find that 1 or 2 of them will be flipped backwards. I correct this, blow out the dust and its good for another 1000 miles. This morning I looked down to see 7000rpms at 80mph indicated so I know they have flipped again. I don't understand why, my variator doesn't have ridges at the top and otherwise I haven't altered anything. I like them alot but I am getting tired of taking it apart constantly to fix this.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Are they combined with the rollers?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not right now, I put them all back in a while back because I was going to be doing all highway riding for the next few months. I am getting a bit tired of the re-work though. I can't figure out how this is happening, looking at them in there it makes no sense one could flip.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I can imagine them flipping easily, that's what i don't like about this idea. In fact i was more sure they would flip than they wouldn't. Try to clean and grease the variator movable parts concurrently checking if anything could prevent plate from smooth operation.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess right now for reliabilities sake I'll just put the rollers back in since my work schedule is going to become demanding and I might not have time to keep taking things apart over and over again.

The main reason I wanted these was because the 7000rpm's at 80 indicated made me think the engine was over stressed which I have learned from reading here isn't true. Otherwise their performance is slightly better at low speeds but I didn't dislike the rollers either. I know when on hills or headwinds being stuck at 5300rpm's isn't very good for performance, but on just flat roads its nice and raises the MPG's some.

As long as the higher RPM's aren't over working the engine with the rollers then I guess for now I'll just stay stock and leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Are you sure you are using the correct size? I used 19g DPS for 2 years on my 400 and never had a problem with them flipping. There is good chance of them flipping if you are not careful when re-assembling the CVT.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure you are using the correct size? I used 19g DPS for 2 years on my 400 and never had a problem with them flipping. There is good chance of them flipping if you are not careful when re-assembling the CVT.
I keep a tight hold on it and don't let them move if thats what you mean. Why do you think they go so long before they flip. This is really bugging me because I like them for the most part, but taking it apart over and over again is getting old.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I to had 19 gram ones in for 33k+ miles & never had them turn over. Sure don't know why yours would be doing that. :scratch:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I to had 19 gram ones in for 33k+ miles & never had them turn over. Sure don't know why yours would be doing that. :scratch:
If they did it immediately it would make more sense but why so long. I am wondering if something is wrong with my variator?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My 18g ones did about 4000 miles then 2 flipped, cleaned it out and they have been ok
for about 5000 ok so far, not a clue as to why it happens though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far the furthest I've gotten is 1000 miles before a flip. First time I got about 600, second time close to 1000. and today just a little over 1000 since the last time.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Dunno where you picked up so much dirt in 1000 miles :eek: Check the gaskets maybe

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It does seem like it gets really nasty in there in a hurry. Maybe I need a new belt? The gasket seems to be in ok shape, but I can order one.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Somehow you've got an excessive dust blow to the inside. Definitely not the best condition for the sliders to run.

The belt might really be giving up, so it just lets out more powder. It's not only miles that ages it but time and condition also, or it even could be some cheaper aftermarket brand if it had already been replaced.

Don't forget to check the variator air intake filter also

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Bolzen, you just said it. That filter needs to be kept clean if you are using sliders. It's dirt usually that causes them to 'stick' and flip. Also, any rough spots in the channels where the weights slide. That's all. I remember a post from Chris (Daboo) who says he uses a dry lube in the variator to keep a smooth action and he also made sure there were no rough spots of any kind in the slid channels. He had no problems as far as I know.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Somehow you've got an excessive dust blow to the inside. Definitely not the best condition for the sliders to run.

The belt might really be giving up, so it just lets out more powder. It's not only miles that ages it but time and condition also, or it even could be some cheaper aftermarket brand if it had already been replaced.

Don't forget to check the variator air intake filter also
Well I put that belt on there brand new about 4500 miles ago when I bought it since I had no history on when it was changed so it shouldn't be that I hope. I will try to take it apart again this weekend and see if I feel any rough spots on the channels they slide in. I put the rollers back in for right now though.

Thanks for the tips, I will check it all out this weekend.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh this just keeps getting better, since I just can't give up on those sliders I put them back in last night and stripped the variator nut tightening with the impact wrench :(

Gotta go by Ace Hardware on my way home this afternoon and get one and put it back together tonight. Just thankful the threads on the shaft weren't damaged.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guess I am forking over some car rental money next week because nobody around me sells M18 sized nuts. M16 to M20 is the jump, but no 18's. Figures they'd use some freak size you can't buy anywhere :(

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 51 Posts