Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! I'm a new AN650K3 owner, as of last Wednesday. I'm a former scooter owner (Honda Elite 125, Elite 250) from the '80s, but haven't ridden in 18 years.

I was looking to get back on two wheels and went to look at the Honda Silver Wing, but saw the Big Burgman. Then the Safety & Training manager where I work, who is also a motorcycle instructor, told me that he had tested both scooters and recommended the AN650. THEN I read a rave review in Motorcycle Consummer News about the Burgman and that was that. I went back to the dealer and put down a deposit, went to a finance company and took out a loan, and now I'm the proud owner of a new bike.

It's a 2003 model, one of four left over from last season, but it's a "new" bike with zero miles on it. Well, it HAD zero miles on it. Now it has 200 miles on it. That's the "Sleepless in Seattle" part. Every chance I get I'm riding it. I even bought a rain suit so I could have fun in the drizzle.

I've got it partly broken-in now, and feel confident that nothing is going to break soon. So tomorrow I'm heading off across I-90 and Snoqualmie Pass to Spokane -- 297 miles there, spend two days with a friend, then back via US2 and Stevens Pass. That'll be the longest rip I've ever taken on two wheels, but will be a test run for my next project...

Border to Border on a Scooter! I'm planning a trip for September from the Canadian Border at Blaine, Washington to the Mexican Border at San Diego, California -- 1385.6 miles one way. I'll take along a camera, and I hope to sell an article to a magazine.

BTW, I'm not really from Seattle, I'm from Everett. Home of the 747, 767, and 7E7; the largest building in the world; the Aquasox and the Silvertips. But since 99.999% of the world's population probably wouldn't have a clue where that is I just say Seattle. Besides, I work in Seattle most days, so it's not a total lie. :wink:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Congrats, Brian!
Before the trip, you might consider retrofitting the '04 anti-splash guard to the Burger. It's cheap, and from what I've heard, worthwhile.
I envy you. I'd take that trip with 5 minutes notice, but wife and work - well, you know. :roll:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Brian :wave: congrats on the new 650 and welcome to the forum. Sounds like quite the trip you have planned . I envy you as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
New Burger!

Greetings from Eastern Canada ! I am sure you will be delighted with your new ride. We have had ours just about a month and now have around 7oomi have been waiting my first service and that is arranged for 8am tomorrow morning. I will look forward to seeing those pictures also. Take Care and Enjoy/RW

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,

I just got back from Spokane. Didn't stay two days after all (Spokane is BOOOORING).

The weather was great both ways, and I took US-2 for both legs rather than I-90 for the first. Going through those curvy roads on Stevens pass was a blast! My previous scooter was (barely) freeway capable, back when the maximum speed was 55, but I only used it between Everett and Seattle to and from work. Never had it out just for fun.

Wow, I still can't get over what fun it was! I actually passed the 600 mile service interval (by 300 miles! Gulp!) so I'll have to limit my riding until I can get it in. All my fluid checks looked fine during the trip though.

What I learned that I'll use on my "Big Adventure"TM:

1. Wear earplugs. Even with a full-face helmet and windshield the wind noise is excessive. I've been home for an hour and my ears are still roaring.

2. Wear sunscreen. The small gap between my helmet and my collar is a bit red.

3. Bring Windex and a soft cloth. The bugs splattered on my windshield and faceshield are not only unsightly, but create hazarous refractions when going into the sun. And not all the gas stations along the way had clean solution in their wash tanks.

4. Check into a cruise control. After 5 hours of riding with only two 10 minute gas stops and one 30 minute meal break my right hand is pretty stiff. I figured out how to pinch the throttle between my thumb and palm to occassionally wiggle my fingers, but it's not enough.

5. Need a taller windshield. Already planned on getting one, but now it's confirmed.

6. Design and build a glare shield for the instrument panel. On the way over, the sun was coming over my right shoulder for almost an hour straight, and the reflection was blinding. In the military we had a honeycomb-type shield for binoculars, sniper-scopes, etc. that blocked almost all relections, and something similar might be feasible for the scooter.

Wasions, what's the anti-splash guard? Where does it mount?

Take care everyone. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Sounds like you had a great trip, Brian.

For the right hand thing, a Kuryakin Throttle Boss (at $9.95) is a lifesaver. I never take it off.

The splash guard is a little rubber-plastic piece that fits under the left footboard. From what I've heard it's cheap, effective, and easy to install.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Brian,
That does sound like a good trip! As you noted, Suzuki lacked a bit in the windshield area on an otherwise great bike. Here's a couple of pictures of the splash guard. They're standard on the '04's but they can be put on the '03's, as I did to mine. It helps keep the rain and muck from the road off of your left side. Whole thing costs less than $15.00, and takes about 20 minutes to put it on.

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/rain-deflector

Another option you might consider is a Vista-Cruise throttle control. It's a simple mechanical device you put on that accopmlishes the same thing you said you did with your thumb and forefinger. I also find it helpful to just slide my hand out so part of it rests on the bar end weight. Since it doesn't rotate, I don't have to hold on to the throttle so hard.

Nice to hear you had a great ride.

Bruce

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Brian said:
Hi All,

3. Bring Windex and a soft cloth. The bugs splattered on my windshield and faceshield are not only unsightly, but create hazarous refractions when going into the sun. And not all the gas stations along the way had clean solution in their wash tanks.
Don't use Windex. It is a glass cleaner - not recommended for plastic windscreens and face shields. Lemon Pledge works fine, or the Honda cleaner/polish product. I often carry the Honda product, because it comes in a smaller spray can. But when cleaning things up in the garage at home after a ride, I use Lemon Pledge.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wasions said:
Sounds like you had a great trip, Brian.
Indeed I did. And this Saturday I'm going on my first company ride (we have a LOT of riders at my company, including the General Manager, and during spring and summer there are a number of group rides organized. Envied them last year, going along this year. Cool!)
wasions said:
For the right hand thing, a Kuryakin Throttle Boss (at $9.95) is a lifesaver. I never take it off..
I'll have to do an Internet search. The only Kuryakin I know is Illya Kuryakin from the United Network Command for Law & Enforcement. (Open Channel D, please. :wink: )
wasions said:
The splash guard is a little rubber-plastic piece that fits under the left footboard. From what I've heard it's cheap, effective, and easy to install.
Why only the left footboard?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Brian said:
Why only the left footboard?
The sidestand on the left disrupts the airflow causing it to spray road grime on the left side of the machine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts