Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my very first bike. Its a 2003 model that was on the expensive side here in Japan. The previous owner seemed to take care of it but I want to make sure. What should I do maintenance wise first?

-Oil change/filter
-Belt
-Tires
-Radiator (seems to run hot, over half mark...is this normal?)

Anything else?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Spark Plug Change - Better Add new Radiator Fluid somebody might have put Tap water ,Your not suppose to use Tap water, Replace with Distilled Water Only,

And Check the rollers for wear

Elliott,

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
How many miles are on your steed! when changing fluids do not forget about the gear oil.
The 400 doesn't use gear oil as it has no gears. That's on the 650. So nix that.

You might want to change the air filter as well.

The tires and belt could possibly be put off depending on condition. If they have been changed in the past few years, they should be fine, age wise. I can generally get about 10k miles from a set of tires and 20k from a belt.

Be sure to check out LeDudes Burgman center for help with all things mechanical.

https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/Home

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
The 400 doesn't use gear oil. So nix that.
Unless he was referring to changing the oil in the final drive at the rear wheel. It takes engine oil not gear lube but it does need to be changed.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is my very first bike. Its a 2003 model that was on the expensive side here in Japan. The previous owner seemed to take care of it but I want to make sure. What should I do maintenance wise first?

-Oil change/filter- Definitely change
-Belt- Check
-Tires- Check
-Radiator (seems to run hot, over half mark...is this normal?) - Mine never gets over 1/2 way. Change it and replace the thermostat. It's time for that. The bike is 10 years old!

Anything else?
Welcome to the wonderful world of scooters! Great choice for a first bike!!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
not sure but but on the 2013 model the temperature gauge its always halfway AKA in the middle. I guess the 2003 is different on that?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Kind of going with Fernando on this. If it stays at the point you say, then I wouldn't worry. Sounds as if it's in the "don't worry" zone. If it moves up and down, you need to worry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts