Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

I'm kinda new here, and have a question, but first a small intro:
I'm thinking of buying a Burgman 400 soon (which will be my first 2-wheeler).

I haven't had the chance to test drive one at my local dealer, but I have been noticing burgies here and there...
Well anyways, lately I came across a nice blue '04 model parked on the street. I stoped to give it a look-over, and it is a beutiful machine!

Just one thing caught my eye, and I was wondering what burgman owners think about it:
I noticed that that the rear wheel/tire is kinda thin. I have seen 150cc scooters with wider rear tires than that.
I wanted to know what you guys think about it...
I don't know much about 2-wheeling (just getting started as I mentioned) but it seems to me that a wider rear tire allows the bike to lean a bit more and still be stable, and gives more overall traction, especially in rainy weather.

I just know that the big "super-bikes" have really fat (wide) rear tires, and they lean really well.
Now I know that the burgy ain't no sport bike, but it does seem powerful enough to need a good rear tire (for traction and stuff).

Did anyone replace that rear tire to a wider one, and is it possible to do so?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Burger 400 handles great! And the low center of gravity makes me even more confident in turns than on my motorcycle, which had a much wider rear tire! I wouldn't really worry about it, but if wider and stickier rubber were available, I would probably switch, but only after this set is done...

·
Registered
32 Posts
meetyg said:
Hello there!

I'm kinda new here, and have a question, but first a small intro:
I'm thinking of buying a Burgman 400 soon (which will be my first 2-wheeler).

I haven't had the chance to test drive one at my local dealer, but I have been noticing burgies here and there...
Well anyways, lately I came across a nice blue '04 model parked on the street. I stoped to give it a look-over, and it is a beutiful machine!

Just one thing caught my eye, and I was wondering what burgman owners think about it:
I noticed that that the rear wheel/tire is kinda thin. I have seen 150cc scooters with wider rear tires than that.
I wanted to know what you guys think about it...
I don't know much about 2-wheeling (just getting started as I mentioned) but it seems to me that a wider rear tire allows the bike to lean a bit more and still be stable, and gives more overall traction, especially in rainy weather.

I just know that the big "super-bikes" have really fat (wide) rear tires, and they lean really well.
Now I know that the burgy ain't no sport bike, but it does seem powerful enough to need a good rear tire (for traction and stuff).

Did anyone replace that rear tire to a wider one, and is it possible to do so?

Thanks in advance!
How much you can lean depends more on the suspension/weight distribution and your courage than on the tires. In my opinion the 400 is not bad in corners, but going through wide corners smoothly at high speed is more difficult than on a motorbike. The 650 does this much better.
You should really make a test drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK...

Thanks for shedding some light on this issue...
I really should (and really want to!) test drive the burgman 400 I guess.
As far as i've seen, the tires on the 650 do look a bit wider and I understand that it handles better than the 400, but unfortunetly I can't afford the 650 :-(

·
Registered
498 Posts
Guys,
The 650 doesn't handle better than the 400. It depends on which roads you are riding as to which performs better. I suppose because they share the name 'Burgman' people wna tot compare them, but you should't. They are torally different animals.

If you ride in the mountains on bends that have a sportsbike rider skimming the tarmac with his knee at 60mph or lower, the 400 will definately handle better - low weight, stable long wheelbase, upright and flickable riding position. On my similar Reflex 250, I have significantly gapped my 996/T595/ZZR1100 friends on such roads, especially when going downhill. Of course, it is excellent around town too.

However, if you ride on roads that have bends that would have you at max lean aove 60mph, then the 650 will provide the better package.

Remember that slim tyres make for faster turning - with sportsbikes, a 190 rear may look cool, but 180s turn faster, for example.

Don't hesitate: buy the 400 - it's an extremely capable all rounder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great Info!

Thanks for this great info... I see that I have alot to learn about motorcycles/2-wheeling :?

So from what I understand so fat, thin tires help manouverability... Cool :)

Suzuki (burgman 400), here I come!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts