Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a pair of snow ski pants for riding the Burg in cold weather.
Anybody tried this? Seems like it should work pretty good since they hug your boots and bottoms unzip so an old fart like me can get them off easily.
I use a bidder heated vest and leg warmers but needed something to keep the wind off of my legs.
Hope it works.:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes it will work. We have used ski pants when riding motorcycles in the past. A little bulky but you get used to it. Now the trick is to find something to keep your toes warm.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
I have worn a pair of Walls Blizzard-Pruf Bib Overalls
for the last several winters...full length side zippers for
easy on & off....keeping in mind, that they are warm,
but offer almost no crash protection in case of a spill.
A Joe Rocket textile jacket with quilted liner completes
the outfit.
Snowmobile suits offer about the same protection as
my bib overalls.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
the outfit.
my bib overalls.
+2
I think I have the same Walls Bibs. They work great.
Only thing I add is a pair of Fox or Icon strap on knee
guards underneath.
Commuted everyday including winter and they work great. :hello1:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is my second year on the Walls bibs. But... My son took it upon himself to borrow them and ride his vlx shadow with straight pipes. Now the right leg is pretty much toast. Luckily he didn't get burned before he shucked them off at a red light dancing around like a chicken with a leg on fire. LOL... You can't make this kind of stuff up. HE HE
Boy I sure wish somebody had a camera to film that one.
OK picture this. A young man on a Loud, lime green Shadow with one of those green mohawks stuck on his helmet dancing around a red light with his britches on fire.
Priceless!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Never thought about the ski pants idea until it was mentioned above. Bought myself a pair the other day and what a world of difference it made today. The leg chill factor was reduced tremendously.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Not trying to be a downer whatever rocks your boat , just wanted to add I purchased some joe rocket pants , zippers down legs for easy on and off , waterproof liners, zipper to connect jacket, armor for knees and hips http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/13230/i/joe-rocket-ballistic-7-0-pants I'm sure they are more expensive, but offer warmth along with protection. Just something to think about

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Earlier in this thread I noticed GeeGusKahn speaking of putting knee protectors on before donning a similar suit. I suspect elbow and spine protectors could be donned in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I just wear a base layer under my regular riding gear. I use the FreezeOut top and bottom from Cycle Gear. Pretty expensive unless you get on sale. Right now you can get both the long sleeve top and the bottoms for about $60 delivered (not sure how long the sale is going on). Saved me $125 off the regular prices. Bought a set last year too (wanted to know how good they were before buying more). My set I bought last year are holding up well, hence me ordering a second set (they do need hand washing though). Well worth the money. They keep me warm well down into the high 30's on the road. I don't know how warm I would be at lower temps as I don't ride when it gets that cold.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
the outfit.
my bib overalls.
+1 Duster! I just posted about Wall's coveralls and the good protection they gave in a crash. Much much more than any ski pants will do. Ski pants will keep you warm but if you have an OFF you will regret it.

...As for warm feet try Baffin boots made for arctic expeditions! They work very well with their insulated soles and have impact protection as well!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I grabbed an old pair of ski pants - I usually have to get a new pair every few years as they get pretty worn for working on the hill. I can put them over my slacks or jeans when it is 20-50F and they keep me quite comfortable on the freeway to and from my day job.:D

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I just use $20-$25 rain pants to keep warm and dry. Wear them over my Slider jeans. Rode today in 37-39F temps and legs were nice and warm. Far less bulky (and expensive) than ski pants.

With knee high socks, lined windbreaker under my Kevlar mesh jacket and a fleece neck sheathe, the only cold weather solution I haven't solved is gloves. My fingertips (particularly thumbs) still get very cold in rides over half an hour. Haven't gone to heated gloves and would prefer to find a brand of winter glove not requiring that, but may have to accept the inevitable and go that direction.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Though it hardly ever gets below 30F here in Florida, my fingers get cold once it dips below 50. I've got a set of Sedici Hotwired Glove Liners which I picked up at Cycle Gear and I love them. They feel like the warm sun is shining on my skin. They are a bit bulky, but I have a set of leather overgloves which they fit just fine. Some folks review them badly, saying they don't last very long, but I only wear them a dozen times a year or so. For me, they're well worth the investment - particularly since, unlike heated grips, they keep your fingers warm and there are no installation hassles.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/...-HOTWIRED/Heated-Glove-Liners/p/43122_59409_2

1 - 19 of 19 Posts