Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I'm wondering if someone can help with this. I live in San Diego, CA and i have a 5 year old boy. He is about as excited as i am about soon getting a burgman. He wants to be able to ride with me but i have no idea what the law says about this. Does he need to be of a certain height, weight, age, or anything else to be a passenger on a bike? His biggest thing is he wants me to pick him up from school every once in awhile, and its only about five blocks from our home.

thanks
Jaime the burgmanwannab + 1 :roll:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
AMA state law link

Above is the link for the AMA site with the state laws, however I am not sure how accurate they are nor if anything has changed.

Usually if the passenger cannot reach the foot rest, then it is not safe for them to ride. Would need a helmet as well.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have seen harness type products used for snowmobiling with kids to keep them securely attached to the driver. I'm not sure about using them on a bike though. Irregardless, 5 blocks, 5 feet or 5 miles from home, if the young one comes off and gets hurt no one is going to be happy least of all Mom!

Yea, yea, yea the safety guy is on someones case again!

It'll be just my luck that one day that picture of me on the Hog in shorts, muscle shirt, skull cap and thongs drinking a Bud, joint hanging out of my mouth, with a topless chick hangin' off the pillion, cruising the streets of Sturgis will show up and blow my cover. No really, it'll happen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are no specific restrictions in the CVC that I'm aware of concerning height, weight, age, etc. as they pertain to motorcycles.

You're probably going to be most interested in Cal. Veh. Code § 27800, which essentially sets a variable height requirement in stating, "Every passenger on a motorcycle or a motorized bicycle shall keep his feet on the footrests while such vehicle is in motion."

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Usually, most states require that the passenger's feet be able to rest on the footpegs (or floorboards) and that the bike be factory-equipped to carry a passenger (seat and handholds). They usually require that the passenger should not be ridden in front of the rider and not in any manner so as to interfere with the rider's control of the bike.
As a matter of common sense, the passenger should, like the rider, wear full protective gear (helmet, eye protection, gloves, long pants, jacket, foot and ankle protection). Any passenger should be instructed on how to ride with you and what to expect during turns, braking, etc.
Jamie, I don't know the amount of riding experience that you have or if you have taken a MSF safety course. However, the MSF does highly recommend that any rider have at least a years riding experience before carrying any passengers. I know how kids can be with a new bike in the family but it's a heck of a responsibility whenever you carry a passenger, especially a youngster who really doesn't realize the risks involved.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Last weekend while riding I came up on a MC accident. There was a young boy wearing a helmet lying on the grass with a worrily adult standing beside him (driver of the bike). What a bad feeling??

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
burgmanwannab said:
...I live in San Diego, CA and i have a 5 year old boy. He is about as excited as i am about soon getting a burgman. He wants to be able to ride with me but i have no idea what the law says about this. ...
Ditto what forthguy said.

California Vehicle Code

Motorcycle Passengers

VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 27800

27800. It is unlawful for a driver of a motorcycle or a motorized bicycle to carry any other person thereon, except on a seat securely fastened to the machine at the rear of the driver and provided with footrests, or in a sidecar attached to a motorcycle and designed for the purpose of carrying a passenger. Every passenger on a motorcycle or a motorized bicycle shall keep his feet on the footrests while such vehicle is in motion.
Suzuki sells optional footboard risers for shorter passengers, but I doubt they'd be high enough for a 5 year old.

I don't know what the law in California would say about home-made risers.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I did carry my kids as passengers on my motorcycles when they were fairly young. I think the youngest child was about 5 or 6 years old. They did wear helmets and protective jackets, and we had some safety rules. They were tall enough to reach the footpegs. I did take each of the three children on at least one long tour. My daughter used to ride with me with the Goldwing rider's group, and she loved to go on their poker runs. Fortunately, we had some great times, and never had a mishap. It was quality time, but yes, there is potential for disaster. I think I realize that more now than I did back then - and I think the roads are a lot more dangerous now with all the those drivers yakking on cell phones. It is a family decision I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts