Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was gifted a 2005 AN650 that has been sitting for about 3 or 4 years.

Unfortunately, the fluids were not drained and it was only partially covered.

I'm looking to get it back on the road before summer. I bought a brand new battery and changed the oil & filter, hoping that would be enough to get it started and run it down to the shop instead of having to get it towed.

But it doesn't start. There is an error message on the dash that says CHEC and then the green oil (genie lamp) icon is illuminated. I find this strange because I changed the oil & filter.

I made sure that the kill switch is in the "run" position and when switching it from one to the other I hear a "click" but when I squeeze the brake lever and hit the start, nothing.

I also noticed that the brake lights do not work. I checked the fuses and they are all good.

Any thoughts/suggestions before I have to call the tow truck. All is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Flip the kill switch on the right handlebar to run.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was gifted a 2005 AN650 that has been sitting for about 3 or 4 years.

Unfortunately, the fluids were not drained and it was only partially covered.

I'm looking to get it back on the road before summer. I bought a brand new battery and changed the oil & filter, hoping that would be enough to get it started and run it down to the shop instead of having to get it towed.

But it doesn't start. There is an error message on the dash that says CHEC and then the green oil (genie lamp) icon is illuminated. I find this strange because I changed the oil & filter.

I made sure that the kill switch is in the "run" position and when switching it from one to the other I hear a "click" but when I squeeze the brake lever and hit the start, nothing.

I also noticed that the brake lights do not work. I checked the fuses and they are all good.

Any thoughts/suggestions before I have to call the tow truck. All is appreciated.
Turn on your ignition and check your Brake Switch. When you squeeze either brake lever you should hear a distinctive click and your brake lights should activate. If you are not hearing this click when you press the lever(s) try giving the switch a shot of contact cleaner and see if this allows the switch to close which will activate your brake lights and allow you to start the Burgman.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Make sure the kickstand is up. The bike will not start or run with it down. The side stand sensor is another one that could be bad also.

It will however, start on the center stand.

You must also be squeezing one of the brakes levers when you hit the start button.

So, 1 ignition key on, 2 kill switch to "Run", 3 side stand up, 4 squeeze brake lever, 5 hit start button. That should do it. Otherwise you have bad contacts or something failed in the system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure the kickstand is up. The bike will not start or run with it down. The side stand sensor is another one that could be bad also.

It will however, start on the center stand.

You must also be squeezing one of the brakes levers when you hit the start button.

So, 1 ignition key on, 2 kill switch to "Run", 3 side stand up, 4 squeeze brake lever, 5 hit start button. That should do it. Otherwise you have bad contacts or something failed in the system.
Turn on your ignition and check your Brake Switch. When you squeeze either brake lever you should hear a distinctive click and your brake lights should activate. If you are not hearing this click when you press the lever(s) try giving the switch a shot of contact cleaner and see if this allows the switch to close which will activate your brake lights and allow you to start the Burgman.
Flip the kill switch on the right handlebar to run.
Thanks all!

I will get some contact cleaner for the brake levers & side stand.

I have it on the center stand & have made sure the kill switch is in the run position before trying to start it.

Thanks again! I'll keep you folks posted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im not so much into mechanics however it's my understanding there's not only "one" engine oil but not sure if another one or a couple. Id suggest to replace them all with proper spare, as well as filters if any.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Even if you have to put a little money into it since it was a gift you've got an awesome ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Finally got around to checking the scooter out again.

I jumped one of the brake switches and I got brake lights and she cranked but would not turn over.

Now I have this oil light on.

Any advice is appreciated!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
could it be possible that I need to recharge the battery or give it a boost??

I have a car booster pak.

Can I use that?

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
That oil light stays on until you start the bike, it then goes away under normal operating conditions.

How old is the battery, it may bedtime for as new one?!

May also want to clean the fuel injectors.

Dump the fuel and replace it with fresh batch.

Clean the air filter and CVT filter.

Replace the spark plugs.

Take the brake bulbs out and inspect/replace them.

·
Premium Member
14,255 Posts
If the battery voltage is to low it may crank but not start. You could try jump starting it. You might also want to get the battery tested.

One other thing you might want to try is to hold the throttle open while you crank it. Sometimes that will get a reluctant to start one to fire off.

Past that you will have to start testing stuff to see what the problem is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That oil light stays on until you start the bike, it then goes away under normal operating conditions.

How old is the battery, it may bedtime for as new one?!

May also want to clean the fuel injectors.

Dump the fuel and replace it with fresh batch.

Clean the air filter and CVT filter.

Replace the spark plugs.

Take the brake bulbs out and inspect/replace them.
The battery is brand new (bought 5/1/14)

Dumped a fresh gallon of gas definitely want to clean the injectors air filter & CVT. really looking to get it to start in order to get it to a mechanic!

I inspected the bulbs and they are ok.

it was recommended that I use techron fuel system cleaner, what do you think?

Are you the same LeDude of youtube fame?!

If so, used you video to change the oil.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Was there any gasoline sitting in there for all those years ? Where was it parked ? Where insects and varmints can nest and munch ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Was there any gasoline sitting in there for all those years ? Where was it parked ? Where insects and varmints can nest and munch ?

TheReaper!
I checked it before I put the new gas in and it was bone dry! There were no varmints, there are a few cobwebs but nothing apparently nesting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the battery voltage is to low it may crank but not start. You could try jump starting it. You might also want to get the battery tested.

One other thing you might want to try is to hold the throttle open while you crank it. Sometimes that will get a reluctant to start one to fire off.

Past that you will have to start testing stuff to see what the problem is.
Again the battery is brand new! It may have lost some power with me attempting to start the scooter before. I'm sure it could use a tune up as @LeDude suggested.

I'm going to look into jump starting it because it sounds like the battery is not strong enough to turn it over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does the motor turn over at all, is it locked up?

If it does, does the motor turn over slowly?
It doesn't sound seized.

sounds like it's trying to turn over but the battery doesn't have enough power or it's not getting a spark/enough fuel.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I checked it before I put the new gas in and it was bone dry! There were no varmints, there are a few cobwebs but nothing apparently nesting.

I bought a scooter with 300 miles on that was sitting for 5 years , when I opened the variator up there was a few pounds of some thing that looked like bird seed in it . Let me repeat that ....A FEW POUNDS , like it was packed to the brim . It really is amazing what insects and varmints can do . They can get into places where you don't know there are places .

I bought another scooter that was sitting in a storage shed with a full tank of gas for 4 years . The gas had turned to some thing that looked like and had the same consistency of molasses . By the way , once you smell bad gas it's like a dead body , you will never forget that smell .

TheReaper!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts