Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 650 at a stoplight (or anywhere else where I'm stopped)... I just can't get comfortable taking both hands off the handlebars. I always have to have at least one hand on the bars. Not true with other, lighter bikes because I can balance them with just my feet/legs. In fact, other bikes I just put my left foot on the ground with the right foot on the brake.

Just curious if anyone else is afraid to balance the bike with just their feet/legs. I'd rather be able to have both hands free when stopped but somehow just can't get comfortable balancing this amount of weight without at least one hand on the bars.

- Chuck

·
Registered
135 Posts
im a short guy im only 5'2 and i can balance fine with no hands at a light although it isnt quite as comfortable as it is on other bikes to do that. my assumption is that it is because we dont have a gas tank to wrap around to help us hold the bike up so all the balancing goes squarely on the feet.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you hit it when you said there's no gas tank to wrap the legs around. That's probably what's making me really uncomfortable about removing both hands from the bars. Guess I'll just have to try it more and more until I get comfy with it! Thanks for your reply.

- Chuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree. Have not had bike long, but also feel slightly uncomfortable taking both hands off bars. I also have a bit of a problem getting use to way the engine slows the bike when cornering. Makes me feel very unsteady

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marlow said:
I agree. Have not had bike long, but also feel slightly uncomfortable taking both hands off bars. I also have a bit of a problem getting use to way the engine slows the bike when cornering. Makes me feel very unsteady
The engine slowing was a concern for me at first too... but now I'm used to it. The only time the the engine freaks me out now is when I'm in a hilly residential area where you have to go slow. The engine disengages from the transmission below 10mph. When coasting down a hill at this slow speed, eventually gravity kicks in and takes you a bit faster, at some point around 15 mph going downhill in 'neutral' the engine suddenly engages the transmission and the rear tire skids at first and then things are back to normal.

But I'm used to all these things and none of it bothers me anymore. The only thing I just can't get comfortable with is taking both hands off the handlebars at a stop. Maybe with more practice it'll be more comfortable but that bike is heavy!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Humm, I read this thread this afternoon and it struck me that I didn't have the uncomfortableness. I had thought to post a smart assed comment about my ass-ets being bigger than others but kind of figured I would be a good boy.
I did checkout my comfort level with stops and lights and I do not have a problem with hands off at stops. It might very well be that my assets are longer in that I am 6' 3'' tall.
At a stop, on level ground, I have no problems with having both hands off. My behind is firmly planted on the seat and my legs are very comfortably planted on the ground, the front of the seat allows me do small balance adjustments, I do this without even thinking about it.
I think that once I got over the 'fear' of the weight I seemed to have fit right into the Burgman. It has got to be one of the few things in this world that I have found that fits me, wind screen excluded, and it is Japanese!
We have a pair of Toyota Camrys and I fit okay in them but can't get one with a sun roof as I don't want to bounce my head and I was once told by my dealer that there was a whole crew of little Japanese guys just working to see how the could annoy me. I am on a hunt to find a new car and can't find something that is not going to cost more than a loaded Camry and will allow me to fit comfortably.
I don't have this problem with the Burgman, hit the gas and lift the feet.

I have not gotten comfortable with low speed throttle adjustments, tried coasting in, slow speed but still engauged and I can't get it right. I do every now and then and wonder how I did it. I think that I maybe being too carefully and should come into the stops just a little faster. My riding is on flatish ground so I haven't had to deal with the re-engauging drive but will have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the warning!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sails said:
I did checkout my comfort level with stops and lights and I do not have a problem with hands off at stops. It might very well be that my assets are longer in that I am 6' 3'' tall.
Do you feel that same "comfort level" when riding 2 up?

[quote "Sails"]
I have not gotten comfortable with low speed throttle adjustments, tried coasting in, slow speed but still engauged and I can't get it right. I do every now and then and wonder how I did it. I think that I maybe being too carefully and should come into the stops just a little faster. My riding is on flatish ground so I haven't had to deal with the re-engauging drive but will have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the warning![/quote]

You get used to it and eventually it won't even be a concern!

·
Registered
367 Posts
chuck807 said:
Sails said:
Good question! I don't know, we haven't done a lot of 2 up yet. What I have done with my son was just fine. Was I taking both hands off, don't remember but it was not an uncomfortable situation. Comfortable, just a little different, if that makes sense.

I will have to do some research on the subject, yet another reason to go for a ride.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sails said:
chuck807 said:
Sails said:
Good question! I don't know, we haven't done a lot of 2 up yet. What I have done with my son was just fine. Was I taking both hands off, don't remember but it was not an uncomfortable situation. Comfortable, just a little different, if that makes sense.

I will have to do some research on the subject, yet another reason to go for a ride.
Yeah, when I take my 14-year-old son for a ride its like he's not even there. I definitely notice a bigger difference with an adult as a passenger though.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
chuck807 said:
...The only time the the engine freaks me out now is when I'm in a hilly residential area where you have to go slow. The engine disengages from the transmission below 10mph. When coasting down a hill at this slow speed, eventually gravity kicks in and takes you a bit faster, at some point around 15 mph going downhill in 'neutral' the engine suddenly engages the transmission and the rear tire skids at first and then things are back to normal....
Sometimes you can keep a little more throttle on and prevent the acceleration. It's counter-intuitive to keep it on when going down a steep hill, but it often works for me; I can stay at a steady 9MPH indicated, or more as desired.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian said:
chuck807 said:
...The only time the the engine freaks me out now is when I'm in a hilly residential area where you have to go slow. The engine disengages from the transmission below 10mph. When coasting down a hill at this slow speed, eventually gravity kicks in and takes you a bit faster, at some point around 15 mph going downhill in 'neutral' the engine suddenly engages the transmission and the rear tire skids at first and then things are back to normal....
Sometimes you can keep a little more throttle on and prevent the acceleration. It's counter-intuitive to keep it on when going down a steep hill, but it often works for me; I can stay at a steady 9MPH indicated, or more as desired.
I'll have to try that. Thanks!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
chuck807 said:
On the 650 at a stoplight (or anywhere else where I'm stopped)... I just can't get comfortable taking both hands off the handlebars. I always have to have at least one hand on the bars.
In the morning, I get on the scooter, take it off the stand and start it. Then I put on my helmet, then gloves. This gives stuff some time to warm and circulate before I take off.

If you did this too, it would let you practice balancing the bike without your hands every day.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wasquid said:
chuck807 said:
On the 650 at a stoplight (or anywhere else where I'm stopped)... I just can't get comfortable taking both hands off the handlebars. I always have to have at least one hand on the bars.
In the morning, I get on the scooter, take it off the stand and start it. Then I put on my helmet, then gloves. This gives stuff some time to warm and circulate before I take off.

If you did this too, it would let you practice balancing the bike without your hands every day.
Excellent idea and I'd love to implement that every morning, but I'm parked on a driveway that slopes down toward the street. Once off the stand it rolls backward!!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
chuck807 said:
Excellent idea and I'd love to implement that every morning, but I'm parked on a driveway that slopes down toward the street. Once off the stand it rolls backward!!
Use the parking brake. I almost always wait until I have the bike started to put on my helmet and gloves. Anytime I'm on a slope, I use the parking brake.

·
Registered
367 Posts
chuck807 said:
I just came back from taking one of our ladies in Accounting for a ride, she came with leathers and her own helmet!

So to answer your question, no, but it isn't because of the bike or its size, more because I don't know how the person on the back is going to move. Having a hand on one of the bars allows me to control the front 'wiggle' when she moved.
With both hands off I actually have to work to control the bike where having a controlling hand on, just light pressure, make the bike that much stabler and comfortable. It wasn't going to get away from me this way.

I do think that I need more practice!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Riding pillion is a skill too!

You need to brief the key points to those who are novice:

1. Do not mount/dismount the bike without command approval.
2. Keep your feet on the footrests.
3. Hold on to me (around the waist or the grab rails).
4. The bike needs to lean to take a bend - do not fight it and lean in the same direction as me - no more -no less . Keep your shoulders and head aligned with mine.
5. Do not make any hand signals either directional or communicative!

·
Registered
428 Posts
NormanB said:

3. Hold on to me (around the waist or the grab rails.
4. The bike needs to lean to take a bend - do not fight it and lean in the same direction as me - no more -no less . Keep your shoulders and head aligned with mine.

I'm trying to work off some of my grab rails.

Peace.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bleeder said:
NormanB said:

3. Hold on to me (around the waist or the grab rails.

I'm trying to work off some of my grab rails.

Peace.
:lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Chuck, just a reminder that it's not a good idea to have both hands off of the bars while sitting at a traffic light ( or stop sign or in sitting traffic). You should be constantly checking you mirrors for traffic behind you and watching for anyone who may not be stopping and could rear-end you or the car behind you.
If there's a problem, you want your hand on the throttle so you can accelerate out of harms way quickly. The time it would take to get your hand on the throttle and roll it on could mean the difference in getting hit or not. It's for this reason that, if you are sitting in traffic behind another vehicle, don't sit on it's bumper. Stop far enough back to allow yourself enough room to accerlate and swerve around either side of the vehicle should something happen and you want to get out of the way. :D

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DonRich90 said:
Chuck, just a reminder that it's not a good idea to have both hands off of the bars while sitting at a traffic light ( or stop sign or in sitting traffic). You should be constantly checking you mirrors for traffic behind you and watching for anyone who may not be stopping and could rear-end you or the car behind you.
If there's a problem, you want your hand on the throttle so you can accelerate out of harms way quickly. The time it would take to get your hand on the throttle and roll it on could mean the difference in getting hit or not. It's for this reason that, if you are sitting in traffic behind another vehicle, don't sit on it's bumper. Stop far enough back to allow yourself enough room to accerlate and swerve around either side of the vehicle should something happen and you want to get out of the way. :D
Excellent point, and while the topic implies that I may take both hands off the bars at a traffic light, it sort of doesn't get my real point across. That point being that if I'm stopped somewhere, I don't care where, a parking lot, a stop sign, the side of a road, in a driveway, in a parking space, wherever... I just don't feel comfortable enough to take both hands off the bars, even if its just to open up one of the side glove boxes to pull out a pair of sunglasses and put them on!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts