Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I presently ride a Gold Wing, which I love, but intend on buying a new Burgman next year. Having never ridden a maxi scooter, I took a dealers used 04 Silverwing on a test ride yesterday. The scooter had just 5000 miles, but somewhat battered, scratched, broken windshield, etc.

Anyway, I didn't enjoy the ride much, since it seemed the transmission was not smooth, somewhat grabby, etc. Also, found the machine much noisier than my Wing.

I'm hoping that the Burgman 650's transmission is much smoother.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Needless to say, you shouldn't expect the Burgman to perform like your GW. I changed from a HOG Harley Roadking to a 650 Burgman this spring and it doesn't have any of the Harley's traits. However, I appreciate and enjoy the Burgman for what it is and, for me at age 70, is a better fit. I feel reborn as a two-wheeler rider - I find myself looking for excuses to ride my Burgman - last year I put only 1,000 miles on my Harley. This year so far (10 weeks since I bought my 2006 650) I've done 3,000 miles. Where am I going with this? Oh yeah ... if you love the taste of a peach, don't expect the taste of an apple to be the same ... it just might be MUCH better (but different).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the 650. The wet clutch is as smooth as glass when compared to the dry clutch on the Silverwing and the Burgman 400. You will also find the 650 to be very quiet. I hear wind noise at speed and a little bit of tire noise, depending on the road surface I am on. Of the 16 bikes I have had, this is easily my favorite one.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I only ever test drove one Silverwing (the scooter, not the old 500cc shaft drive motorcycle from the 1980s), of similar vintage and condition as the one you saw. I wasn't real impressed. Sure, it would be okay, but I think my 400 was as good.

The 650 has a nice smooth ride. I don't know how it will compare to a Goldwing; some who have ridden both prefer the Burgman, others prefer the Wing. But an AN650 will surely outshine a Silverwing.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Needless to say, you shouldn't expect the Burgman to perform like your GW. I changed from a HOG Harley Roadking to a 650 Burgman this spring and it doesn't have any of the Harley's traits. However, I appreciate and enjoy the Burgman for what it is and, for me at age 70, is a better fit. I feel reborn as a two-wheeler rider - I find myself looking for excuses to ride my Burgman - last year I put only 1,000 miles on my Harley. This year so far (10 weeks since I bought my 2006 650) I've done 3,000 miles. Where am I going with this? Oh yeah ... if you love the taste of a peach, don't expect the taste of an apple to be the same ... it just might be MUCH better (but different).
Jim,

You have an excellent point, and the Gold Wing comparison undoubtedly entered the picture. I have little doubt that the Burgman test ride will be a different story, but will keep your comments in mind during the ride.

I started my love affair with scooters at age 14, and now 72. I had never ridden a maxi scooter of any kind prior to the Silverwing.

All comments and advice much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You'll find the Burgman 650 superior in transmission smoothness compared to the Silverwing. The Silverwing is a great bike but has a dry clutch which needs to be maintained properly just like the Burgman 400 clutch. Most people don't bother so the clutch on the Silverwing is often a bit jerky or grabby...otherwise ok. However, like the Burgman 400, if the clutch is maintained correctly at prescribed maintenance points it's very smooth and gives no problems.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The Silver-wing is pretty much a scooter and feels and operates that way . While the 650 Burg's CVT is more like a real automatic transmission with a severe engine break , that takes some getting used to . I'm used to the severity of the engine break , but to be honest I wish it weren't as severe . In the end every bike has it's plusses and minuses and the 650 Burg is no exception , out of all the big scooters the 650 Burg has the best ride , so I put up like a lot of others with it's idiosyncrasies .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think you'll find the Burgman to be much more to your liking. I have both a Silverwing and a Burgman and find the Burgman to operate much more smoothly and be a much better ride. In comparison, the Silverwing shutters a little at takeoff, feels noticeably smaller, and substantially less comfortable overall. With all that said, I still like the Silverwing too, it's just not my favorite.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I traded my 2009 Goldwing for a Bergman 650 Executive. The Goldwing was a great bike, but the seating position made my hips hurt after 50 miles. Although it was a tourer, the seating position was like being on a sports bike. I would have preferred having my feet further in front of me. The Goldwing's power was outstanding. It was like having a car engine mounted on a bike. After owning both machines, I prefer the Burgman. It weighs less and is therefore more maneuverable, the seating position is better for me, it gets better gas mileage, and yet it has plenty of power. It is a wonderful machine that does equally as well on back roads as major highways. I love it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I traded my 2009 Goldwing for a Bergman 650 Executive. The Goldwing was a great bike, but the seating position made my hips hurt after 50 miles. Although it was a tourer, the seating position was like being on a sports bike. I would have preferred having my feet further in front of me. The Goldwing's power was outstanding. It was like having a car engine mounted on a bike. After owning both machines, I prefer the Burgman. It weighs less and is therefore more maneuverable, the seating position is better for me, it gets better gas mileage, and yet it has plenty of power. It is a wonderful machine that does equally as well on back roads as major highways. I love it.
Thanks, Steve

Just the information I need. Note to self, need to ride Burgman 650 soon, very soon!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
The thing i notice after riding my burgman is that the Silverwing feels more exposed.
Almost as though I sit "on" the Silverwing but "in" the Burger, partly due to the big big wraparound car-like dash being higher and wider I suppose.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The new Burgman 650 doesn't have such a severe engine braking due to improvements in the gearbox and clutch area.
Right, just one reason I want at least a 2013 model. However, a couple of years ago, I purchased a new Kubota RTV900, which also has severe engine braking. I was annoyed by that factor to begin with, but grew to love it after a few weeks. :)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The new Burgman 650 doesn't have such a severe engine braking due to improvements in the gearbox and clutch area.
Most of it stems from the different programming of the CVT, with generally less RPM at any given steady speed plus a lowered RPM threshold.

My 2007 refuses to rev less than 3000 RPM unless it can't gear down anymore, the 2013 and forward can go down to 2500 RPM.

The 3K RPM threshold can't be changed, but I've otherwise made it rev less by feeding the CVT-controller an exaggerated speed signal, making it upshift sooner/downshift later, resulting in noticeably less engine braking.
I'd like engine braking on demand, when the brakes are applied, and costing otherwise.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

Pity !

Love engine braking on 2002-2012 650, easy to control with micro manage of throttle and so so useful.

Wish Suzuki had keep this on 2013-2014.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Pity !

Love engine braking on 2002-2012 650, easy to control with micro manage of throttle and so so useful.

They should have made it programmable, by some kind of jumper or switch.

I had a car which would coast until you gave the brake a dab, then it would engine brake. That worked well

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Pity !

I agree with you. I use the throttle like a rheostat to speed up and slow down. I like that I don't need to use the brakes much.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Agree with others a Silverwing is more like a Burgman 400 then a 650. 650 drive train is very smooth. If your looking for something a little smaller with good power & fuel mpg over a Goldwing a 650 has it all. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Silverwing and Burgman 650

At 70, I switched from a Beemer R1150R because it was too top heavy, especially when I dropped it. I bought an 07 Silverwing and found it a surprisingly fast on acceleration. But I didn't like the sharpness of the shifts, and the smaller tires led to a front end shake on slow, tight turns. It felt wobbly. And the belt change intervals of 16000 miles bothered me, too. So I sold it and bought an 08 Burgman Exec. It's a heavy scooter, to be sure, but it carries its weight lower, so doesn't feel unstable to me. I get great gas mileage, 55-72 mpg, depending on how I ride. If I push + legal speeds, like 75-85, the economy goes overboard. However, the shifts, including the manual option are smooth and precise. I love its quiet running. And one inch larger tires in front and back, it is quite secure and stable. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts