Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this from a REPO man with 1200 miles on it , who originally did the repo then bought it from the bank .

He bought it to fix and wound up just storing it for several years . Then I bought it for $1,500 ,
I turned down an offer of $2,200 for it .
While it doesn’t look bad in the picture , every plastic panel was damaged , some even twisted
in the slide . I actually used a heat gun to reform some of the plastics .
To date $1,645 invested + 30 hours of my time .

As purchased .

This is the naked bike

This is the bike after 30 hours work and not one new part other than $70 worth of paint supplies .
I finished it this afternoon .

Under the camo is a new Silverwing scooter with 1200 miles in it , on the outside ..............you be the judge .

TheReaper!

Reactions: OKLAHOMAMOSES

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheReaper,

Did you do the paint job yourself?

If so, what type of spray equipment did you use?
First I watched some U-tube videos on how to .

Strictly shaker can job .

Cleaned every thing then used a clear adhesion spray .

Used flat Krylon CAMO .
http://www.tcpglobal.com/SprayPaintDepot/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=KRY+4292&gclid=CO-7ierizbkCFe4-MgodA0MAEg

Then some clear coat to seal it .

It came out pretty good for a spray can job , but it doesn't compare to a $3,000 professional paint job that is for sure . That said it is now what I would call VERY PRESENTABE . My neighbor a former military lifer said he liked it better that the original burgundy plastics .

What I really like about this is it is basically a brand new 2004 with 1200 miles on it , and if you don't look to close it's one with a unique paint job . I will say this , it looks a whole lot better than it did with all the battle scars . The CAMO really REALLY REALLY hides a lot of sins .

Watch some videos on it and with a little practice ( 1/2 hour's worth ) and you'll be an expert LOL . Not at all difficult if you are patient .

Good luck if you decide to do one and post some pics when you are done .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the details. I'm planning on picking up either a Forza or a Burg 400. What I really like are those flat paints that are becoming popular. I saw a victory painted flat copper and it was spectacular. Your paint job looks fantastic to me and gives me hope that I'll be able to do a similar job in flat white. I think I'll go with an HVLP gun and an air compressor. I wonder if DIY paint is as scratch resistant as factory paint.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally found a donor for this project ($1,600) . It's a one owner dealer serviced 2002 with 42,000 miles and while it has some scratches here and there it was never down . Came with (monolock) GIVE trunk , the cheaper line but it was there so . I bought it for the plastics so I'll have a rolling chassis left over . I'm thinking maybe making a Big Ruckus type bike out of the rolling chassis :p

On another note the dealer had just serviced the bike and the CVT with a new belt . I was impressed with how well the bike ran in the test ride , basically power wise like a new one .

TheReaper!

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Blackcat- If you want to try out some flat paint jobs easily, try spray cans of Plasti-Dip! It comes in many colors now, and if you don't like it, just peel it off! ;)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How does it compare, performance and comfort wise, to the 650 Burgman?
I like the Silverwings but I wouldn't want it to be my main ride . It's quick and nimble, terrible seat good for an hour and no more , and they are rattle traps . If I had to compare it to any thing feel wise , I would say it's a big Burgman 400 . From what I've heard they will go in the hundreds of thousands of miles if taken care of and they are simple to maintain . The CVT is in the swing arm so it has that traditional scooter feel on take off . It has it's good and it's bad but it's NO Burgman 650 . NOT EVEN CLOSE !!

TheReaper!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like the Silverwings but I wouldn't want it to be my main ride . It's quick and nimble, terrible seat good for an hour and no more , and they are rattle traps . If I had to compare it to any thing feel wise , I would say it's a big Burgman 400 . From what I've heard they will go in the hundreds of thousands of miles if taken care of and they are simple to maintain . The CVT is in the swing arm so it has that traditional scooter feel on take off . It has it's good and it's bad but it's NO Burgman 650 . NOT EVEN CLOSE !!

TheReaper!
With that being said who has ridden both the 650 & the Tmax back to back? I know in reading reviews buy sport bike guys they seem to like the Tmax more. It fell off my list because I wanted ABS. The glowing fell off my list because of suspension shortcomings.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With that being said who has ridden both the 650 & the Tmax back to back? I know in reading reviews buy sport bike guys they seem to like the Tmax more. It fell off my list because I wanted ABS. The glowing fell off my list because of suspension shortcomings.

I have all those in my garage , the Tmax the Silverwing and the 2 650 Burgmans and a couple of Big Ruckus scooters . I hardly ever ride the T in 5 years in has just under 3000 miles on it . The T is fun to drive but a bit uncomfortable , it's quick and nimble but not so much for 2 up . When you are 2 up you really feel the fact that it's only a 500cc . But with no passenger the 500cc has plenty of power . The Tmax is more like a sports bike where the 650 is more laid back cruiser . The Silverwing is pretty much a bigger more powerful burgman 400 .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have all those in my garage , the Tmax the Silverwing and the 2 650 Burgmans and a couple of Big Ruckus scooters . I hardly ever ride the T in 5 years in has just under 3000 miles on it . The T is fun to drive but a bit uncomfortable , it's quick and nimble but not so much for 2 up . When you are 2 up you really feel the fact that it's only a 500cc . But with no passenger the 500cc has plenty of power . The Tmax is more like a sports bike where the 650 is more laid back cruiser . The Silverwing is pretty much a bigger more powerful burgman 400 .

TheReaper!
Q.E.D. - Burgman 650 reigns supreme

·
Registered
213 Posts
I test rode a used, low mileage Silverwing a few years ago. The one I rode had a nasty, high frequency vibration that was noticeable each time I accelerated, even from a steady speed. There was also a rattle coming from the front body work. They may not all be like that, but it was enough to make me pass on it.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I test rode a used, low mileage Silverwing a few years ago. The one I rode had a nasty, high frequency vibration that was noticeable each time I accelerated, even from a steady speed. There was also a rattle coming from the front body work. They may not all be like that, but it was enough to make me pass on it.
That rattle in the front has been present on every one I've driven , and I would never even consider buying one unless it were dirt cheap . The camo one above in the beginning I bought for $1,500 , and this last one for $1,600 . I gave the camo one to my son for his first bigger bike , if he drops it or gets it all scratched up it all up it doesn't matter . I will actually when all is said and done , make a profit on these to Silverwings and my son will have a FREE experience .

If I wanted to get a cheap bike that could take a beating to say ride to Alaska , I would seriously consider a Silverwing like the ones I have .
That way it would be cheap enough to be disposable , so if any thing happened along the way I could dump it some where and fly home .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Very nice and creative.

I bet you could sell that easily and make a good profit. Is it a salvage title?

Some folks are using spray on bed liner, like 'Rhino liner' and it looks pretty good.

Is it for sale?

Sam:D

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice and creative.

I bet you could sell that easily and make a good profit. Is it a salvage title?

Some folks are using spray on bed liner, like 'Rhino liner' and it looks pretty good.

Is it for sale?

Sam:D
Neither has salvage title and yes I could sell for a profit , but I don't want to at this time . I'm letting my son use the camo one and he loves it , says he really likes the fact that if he gets it scratched up it doesn't matter .
I like the fact that I have NO MONEY in it :D

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is the bike I bought last winter for a donor for the wrecked SW repo I have . While this is a higher mileage bike , it was a one owner dealer maintained bike and was never down . As it turns out the bike runs strong and well as it did off the show room floor . Even though I only paid $1,600 for it , I almost hate to use it as a donor it runs so well . The bike came with a GIVI trunk and a after market tall wind shield . I had some accessories I got for free from a couple of flips , a custom seat , Issota hand guards and Fehling saddle bag hardware . The weather was miserable here for a couple of days so I added all the goodies , I rubbed the entire bike out and I put the stickers on it to dress it up a little . I also used black finger nail polish to touch up the few nicks , $2 at Wal-Mart and it worked like a charm . The new GIVI 22 saddle bags are off my Burgman 650 , I just put them on for the pics . I built the seat a few years age and it is highly modified with memory foam , a custom adjustable on the fly back rest . As you can see in the pic I can actually stretch out and get comfortable , and with a couple of inches of memory foam in the right places my butt never gets at all sore . For me the Silverwing was terribly uncomfortable , but with this seat it’s very comfortable . If you look at the passenger area you'll it's pretty much nonexistent now , but that's OK by me . To date I have a little over $1,700 cash out of pocket in it .

TheReaper!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts