Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday at sunrise, the beaches re-open in Palm Beach County (Florida), after 49 days of being closed.

The forecast calls for a 150% chance that I will be there with pigeon feed and unsalted peanuts to feed a flock of wild birds I have been meeting every morning for five years. I'm very eager to see them.

More thrilling news (hey, I've been stuck inside for 49 days). My $14.99 RAM cupholder arrived so I can stop for tea on the ride to the beach.

Nice to see signs of normalcy returning.

·
Super Moderator
2,265 Posts
Judging by that overgrown pigeon's expression thinking ya made the right choice in anteing up with chow...
<Pigeon> "Nice bike ya's gots there..Real nice paint job..would be a shame if somethings wuz to happen to it."...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Judging by that overgrown pigeon's expression thinking ya made the right choice in anteing up with chow"

Right? They look so fierce up close but they're so gentle. They stand on my shoulder and coo in my ear and it's the second-best sound in the universe (according to this dad and granddad, a baby's belly laugh is #1).

SO nice to be back on the beach after 49 days of closure. The ocean is clean and clear and warm today, 76 degrees to match the air temp. Very few people on the beach at 8:00 a.m. when I go. Normalcy rocks.

·
Administrator
18,069 Posts
Pigeons are not bad at the beach or park.

Seagull's should be _ on sight. My niece was at the beach 10 years ago and the seagulls were swarming. The tried to steal her food and when she clutched the food to her chest a seagull bit her on the neck that ripped her skin deep enough we could see the Jugular vein. She had to get 35 stitches and lots of shots for rabies and other nasty things.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Being on a salt-sea coast rocks. The first month after I bought my ‘08 650, I rode out to the Pacific from mid-continent. Birds that trust enough to get close to you - that’s a nice feeling.

A Hitchcock-like experience of The Birds variety was on my mind walking through a rather isolated riverside park in the city. The crows seemed to be talking to each other high in the Elm trees above me. It started to get quite raucous with my mental state focusing on the fact that a gathering of crows Is referred to as a ‘murder’ of crows. I ended up getting quite spooked and retreated hastily the way I had come, looking - as I passed along the trail - for a likely stout branch that I might use to pick up and defend myself.

The Pacific and Atlantic coasts being equidistant apart from here, I have to get by in the peaceful environs of the backyard pond where everything visits my fountain. The sparrows - those non-fickle little non-deserters who hang with us even through the winter - they are my favorites. When I am there in the pre-traffic-noise dawn,they do not fear the neighborhood cats. The birds in the morning sing almost as sweetly as the bird alarm on my shattered screened iPad.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Hello from Texas Tweets the Mocking Bird,

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
A Hitchcock-like experience of The Birds variety was on my mind walking through a rather isolated riverside park in the city. The crows seemed to be talking to each other high in the Elm trees above me. It started to get quite raucous with my mental state focusing on the fact that a gathering of crows Is referred to as a ‘murder’ of crows. I ended up getting quite spooked and retreated hastily the way I had come, looking - as I passed along the trail - for a likely stout branch that I might use to pick up and defend myself.
Experiments have shown crows can recognise individual human faces, pass messages about those faces to one another, and react accordingly to those messages. At present we have no indication they are aware we dislike their poo. But they are amazingly clever. It would behoove us and our vehicles to be one of those faces they regard as "friends".

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Experiments have shown crows can recognise individual human faces, pass messages about those faces to one another, and react accordingly to those messages."

That's fascinating. Crows appear on the beach on occasion. One summer they came several days in a row. They apparently recognized me (I always wear the same hat and shirt to foster recognition) and became comfortable to the point where I got one to land on my outstretched hand (they are heavy). Another random bird fact: the breast of a gull might just be the softest thing I have ever touched.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pelicans fly up and down the shoreline all day in South Florida. It's great to see them again (normalcy rocks).

Wingspans of six feet and more, around 50 lbs., they follow the water line single file or in the classic V shape, maybe 100 yards above your head. They are especially striking when they swoop low over the waves near the shore, inches above the water. I have seen surfers have to duck as they zoom by. They are incredibly efficient flyers, rarely moving their wings, using air from the building waves for flight.

On the sand, the number of pigeons is slowly increasing. Word must be getting around that the human with unsalted peanuts and pigeon feed has returned. I swear they talk to each other (like black crows).

I have visited Delray Beach most mornings for five years. At one point, I went there for 365 consecutive days, took a picture each day, wrote a story about it and eventually published the collection on amazon: "The Beach: 365 Little Stories."

In general, South Florida is a cold place, despite the warm climate. There are great people, of course, but the most common vibe is, "It's all about me." It's a self-absorbed, self-indulgent world, not a "we" culture (anathema to an Original Hippie like me ;o).

There are barriers everywhere: gated communities, fences, walls, hedgerows, medians, not to mention the ubiquitous unfriendliness.

All of that is unwelcome and unfamiliar on the beach, of course, which is why I go there every day (on a Burgman 650 ... life is good ;o).

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
I have heard (read) that pelicans intelligence makes them no real threat for taking over the world, have you seen any evidence they would be challenged to take the bird equivalent of a g.e.d.?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I am a pelican fan. They can cruise - without flapping - inches above the water’s surface. The pelicans of Puerto Vallarta are brown but ours at Lockport where they compete with fishermen by the rapids - they are a brilliant white. But, mikey, I’ii be damned if I could get one to sit for an IQ test.

Responsibility

They’re out there
you can see them
on the streets
in their boots
and leathers
the bikers

as graceful
as grounded
pelicans
behind those strollers
too uncomfortable
to stroll

turned into
fathers
by the women
they love

— C. R. Procyk

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Listen for the back-up singers .....

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes - the birds and the surf.

·
Administrator
18,069 Posts
Listen for the back-up singers .....

A side of Chet that most never heard. He was a Jazz guitar player foremost. Everyone thinks he was country. I've been listening to Chet since 1954, before I was born my mom would play his records and sing along. He is missed.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
A side of Chet that most never heard. He was a Jazz guitar player foremost. Everyone thinks he was country. I've been listening to Chet since 1954, before I was born my mom would play his records and sing along. He is missed.

Darn Dave_J, That explains it ...you were incubated in Good Vibes !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts