Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a Signal Minder today to cancel my signal lights as I'm prone to forget they are on. Odd thing about them is, after the signal is automatically cut off, and the next time you hit the turn signal, nothing happens......unless you first push the signal switch in to "cancel" first. Thus, you still have to remember to "cancel" at some point before you can get the signal light to work again. Not sure theres much advantage to this. Aslo hooked up the brake feature so that when the brake is on, the signals keep working, so that if you are sitting at a stop light the signals won't cancel out on you. They have a setting for 10, 20, or 30 blinks before canceling.

Intend to call or email the company about the above to see what they have to say.

And they were a real doozy to install! I had a professor that teaches electronics helping me; we started about 9am, finished at 3:30pm with an hour for lunch.

I think if there were some way to install really bright turn signal indicator lights, that would be a better option. Some years ago I had a BMW R80 and I found some small hallogen lights for the indicators; boy, that sure worked nice. However to get to the ones on the 400 you have to take nearly the whole front end (plastics), including windshield, off in order to pull the panel out.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The advantage to the Signal Minder is that you won't confuse other drivers by having your signal on as you drive for the next ten miles; but, yes, it would be nice to have a true auto-cancelling signal like cars have.

While installing ultrabright indicator lights on the Burgman might be problematic, I have seen a relatively simple beeper add-on that might help. Can't recall the name now, but I think I saw it in one of the fora here on BurgmanUSA.

HTH.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bleeder, thats simple......and probably the smartest thing I've heard. Just requires one to work a bit and getting the thumb trained, sorta like typing. I like it!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Call Kisan for a mod

Good news. Your turn signal issues can all be remedied. Please contact Fulke at Kisan at 1-888-464-5472. Kisan will provide a spring kit and mounting instructions to modify the turn signal switch free of charge.

I had the same problem but I was more concerned about losing the hazard flasher function than anything else.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan, thanks a bunch. Will give them a call today. As to the hazard lite; the first lt.blue wire we tapped didn't work, but did eliminate the hazard lights. So we fished around, staring for long periods at the schematic in the service manual, and found another blue wire. That one worked, although I forgot to reattach the first blues, and still have no hazards. Also, we originally used a screw on the frame for ground but that was inadequate and the system wouldn't work. Went to other side and found a big black ground wire and that solved our problem. Got a rattle I didn't have before; suspect its the S.M. box, so may have to go in and insulate it better. Maybe I can reattache the blues then.

Thanks again...Ted

·
Registered
794 Posts
Clarification

Ted,

Wasn't very clear on my last post. I didn't actually lose the hazard flasher function. It timed out just like the turn signals do. Not particularly useful if/when you need the emergency flashers.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
794 Posts
Only part of the problem

Jac,

You're right that the beeper helps to solve the persistent turn signal problem.

I decided to go with the signal minder solution beacause I wanted an integrated system that not only cancels the turn signal at a pre-set interval but also gives me front & rear running lights and flashing brake lights.

Regards,

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts