Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't care who makes it. I am not a brand name groupie (even though I've had more 'zukis than anything else...).

As long as it doesn't leak, has electronic ignition and fuel injection (i.e fool-proof / good cold weather driveability), a frame mounted engine, triple disk brakes, also, a good (relatively) backing / dealership network...i.e, KNOWN names...BMW, Honda, Harley etc... (I am not talking about these sort of wierd off-brand-"good"-price, buy-it-through-a-website type or one- every-800-mile-outlet type brands).

And And And...(picture a lack o love puppy here..:) pet me pet me pet me!!.....) But ya know what? I'd want way more power at my disposal, AND, I'd want the option of automatic OR standard transmission. It's the scooter, step thru design that I like!

I guess that's asking too much huh? :twisted:

Heck, I don't much like the plastic personally. I prefer "normal" bikes with exposed frames that you can clamp stuff to. But if there were a builder that made a "step-through scooter" with a 400, 650, 850, or 1000 plus cc powerplant, and optional transmissions, without all of the zoot suit plastic, - with "scooter" ergonomics, I'd be all over it.

Am I just weird here (well that's a given... :wink:) or is there anyone in our genre that wishes for, seeks, or thought about the same sort of thing?

Just stirring the pot! 8)

Pete

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
O.K., my opinion isn't worth as much because I haven't experience the twist-n-go experience, but I happen to like shifting. Especially on a motorcycle. I mean, you can't really multi-task on a motorcycle, eating or talking on the cell phone. (or at least you shouldn't) So it's all about the operating of the machine -- that 'being one with the machine' or it being 'an extension of your body'. So I agree, a standard 5 or 6-speed manual transmission on a scooter would appeal to me. It's funny you thought to vent on this, Pete, because I was thinking about this yesterday. :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Well... I just sold a fine 6 speed motorcycle and kept a ecvt automatic scooter. I am fine with shifting a manual transmission motorcycle or car, for that matter. I've owned many of both. And sometimes, yes, shifting is fun. But part of the allure of the Burgman 650 is that ecvt tranny. It works beautifully whether riding in urban traffic, or scootin' rapidly through the twisties. And no matter how good you think you are at shifting, the ecvt does free up a portion of your concentration that you can devote to just enjoying the ride or picking the perfect line through the next curve.

When I lived back on the east coast, I frequently got caught in miles of creep & crawl traffic jams on I-95. On a bad Friday evening it could take 3 hours to do the 35 mile commute back home. I can tell you for sure, a clutch and a shifter were no joy under those conditions. Fortunately I don't encounter that much where I live now.

The Burgman is what it is - and I like the overall package. The ecvt is part of that, and I although it gives the option of manual shifting, I almost never use it. They could drop that feature and I wouldn't miss it. If they offered a "real" 6 speed model alongside the ecvt model, I would still buy the automatic.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a goldwing and a reflex. The goldwing is a very nice bike but I wish it had an automatic tranny and step thru design like the reflex.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shifting

I have shifted motorcycles (about 12 or more) till I am blue in the face. I now have three scooters of various sizes and one motorcycle. The Shadow just sits in the garage and collects dust. I will probably sell it sometime soon. Any guess why automatic cars are so popular. It gets rid of the hassle of thinking and moving three parts of my body. Ruling out this rudimentary way of transportation allows me to enjoy the ride way way more. On bikes mainly in town driving that is. All I would think about is what gear am I in, should I shift up, should I shift down, I am on the highway am I in 5th or forth oh I don't have a tach on the bike so I would have to shift up to make sure I am in 5th. Now I am at a stoplight oh did I shift down all the way to first I don't remember I better shift some more to see. I take off from the stop light and shift from first to second and sometimes would flop it into neutral then have to shift again on up to get it into second. And on and on and on and on and on an over and over and over and over again. How much fun is that compared to just turning the throttle and flying up to what ever speed fast and no thinking of anything other than how much I enjoy the automatic and great no hesitation for shifting ride I am on. Think about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was talking to a Harley driver the other day and we were comparing notes and experiences.
He expressed the opinion that bikes like the Burgman were the future. Now he is a dedicated Harley driver but one who knows a good thing when he sees it. Beside the discussion concerning gears and trafffic was the fact that a Harley can't deal with traffic! Air and oil cooling just don't seem to cut it, if an intelligent Harley driver is stuck in traffic for any length of time he should pull over and wait it out with the bike off. If he doesn't he will cook off his engine and end up with big bills.
Water cooled, ECVT transmission, no vibration, turn the key dependable, well handling two wheeled fun transportation is definitely the future as the Harley driver predicted. If it is called a scooter, feet forwarded or a motorcycle doesn't really matter, just that it is fun and people like them!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
One of the things that sold me on the Burgman 650 was the choice of full-auto mode, or manual, Tiptronic-style, shifting.

I used the manual mode a lot...for a couple of days. Why bother? I get wonderful controlability in auto mode, and I include Power mode for "high performance" riding; mountains, long downgrades, etc.

The only time I use the manual mode now is when some baby-faced kid in his dad's Camero or somesuch pulls up next to me and says sarcastically, "Wanna race? Ha ha!" (And I sometimes do) :twisted:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sails said:
I was talking to a Harley driver the other day and we were comparing notes and experiences.
He expressed the opinion that bikes like the Burgman were the future.
When I visited Taiwan in 1980, the streets were full of motorcycles: 50cc, 90cc, and biggie 125cc. There were a few vespas as well.
When I visited again in 2003, the streets were full of scooters: 50cc, 90cc, 125cc, and biggie 150. There are more bicycles (like 3) than motorcycles (like 1).
Because of the step-through, scooter is more women-friendly, so there are lots more women riders today as well.

Given today's high gas price and street congestions, I am surprised that there are not more scooter riders in medium-sized college towns.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Pete,
They may have been way a head of us here in North America. I think that part of the problem why more people don't ride has to do with weather. My Burgman can never be my only means of transportation, it ain't got snow tires. So for me, it is a 'toy'.
If I lived in warmer climes I would definitely ride 12 months of the year.
Your point of the lack of use in small town America or Canada, for that matter, could be the 'cool' effect or more that your 50cc scooter isn't cool. Could be that there isn't a dealer to support that bike.
Or it could just be that a four in the floor and big American iron are something that we have all grown up to want, the 'cool' effect again.
I had a 50cc Honda Minitrail years ago when I lived in Montreal. I would commute some 15 miles on it, the neatest thing was that when I got to the building that I worked in, I would drive into the parking garage and drive right into the elevater and take it up to the 7th floor. My parking spot was under the cutting table in the back of the drapery factory that I work in. To me that was cool! My friends all thought that I was a little wacked but hey, it was fun!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Pete said:
But ya know what? I'd want way more power at my disposal, ...Just stirring the pot! 8)
Here's some stuff for the pot: I don't want any more power. The 650 goes plenty fast for me. It's rare that I even use the "Power" mode of the transmission. But ya know what? I'd want way more suspension travel, and a few more degrees of lean angle.

And handlebars to which standard moto accessories can be mounted.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Wasquid said:
And handlebars to which standard moto accessories can be mounted.
I think that's an easy one... just take the tupperware off the handlebars.

·
Registered
367 Posts
billmeek said:
I think that's an easy one... just take the tupperware off the handlebars.
BUT the Tupperware is oh so pretty! I am going to have to put a hole in it to mount my GPS. I HATE putting holes in things, Tupperware or fibreglas, makes you boat sink!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts