Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I have the dreaded sidestand flop, & am looking at parts.
Anybody done this job? If so do you recall which parts were shot, & which were reusable..aka do I have to get the stand and the bracket or is it normally just one or the other?
Tromper

·
Administrator
18,382 Posts
Not the answer your looking for but I have a 03 kickstand you can look at or the one on my 08. Just a few miles south of ya.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have a 2009. It's been triked and stand is not used. Anybody near me can have it if they come over and take it off. 20 miles south of Atlanta airport just off Interstate 85.

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the offers gentlemen, was actually looking to see what to order in terms of parts before I disassembled it this weekend.
There's a couple 07 complete stands on ebay which should be at least be as good, or a mild upgrade on the 06 one I have.
One of them states off a low mile unit. Of course no guarantees, but I can always reverse chargesThey're around $35-$40 vs. about 150-200ish so they should do the trick.

Cheers JT.

·
Premium Member
14,231 Posts
I don't remember anyone posting of having this problem on the 650 so you may be the first.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Tromper said:
Hi folks,
I have the dreaded sidestand flop, & am looking at parts.
Anybody done this job? If so do you recall which parts were shot, & which were reusable..aka do I have to get the stand and the bracket or is it normally just one or the other?
Tromper
Unless you have a broken spring or something bent out of shape, you may need to lube all pivot points. The side stand has not been a problem on the 650 unless dragging it in the curves is considered a dreaded sidestand problem.

·
Administrator
18,382 Posts
Long time back someone did post something about the thru bolt wearing the stands hole but I do not remember how far back. I do remember the cause was setting on the bike with the stand down.

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave_J said:
Long time back someone did post something about the thru bolt wearing the stands hole but I do not remember how far back. I do remember the cause was setting on the bike with the stand down.
I read an old post, probably the one you're thinking of. Nobody ever got back to it with further detail as I recall, but my symptoms seem pretty clear on this. the bracket stays in place but there's a lot of play/splay.

I am guilt of sitting on it with the side stand, & also guilty of leaving it on the side stand a lot more than the center stand; whereas the burger isn't known for these issues, the old post indicates it's not unheard of.
It's more of a motorcycle thing from what I gathered vs. a Burgman thing. At this point it leans a bit further than I like. I'll get back with pics et al if I can figger out how to post 'em here.

Cheers

Tromper

·
Administrator
18,382 Posts
Well the offer of a loan is still there. Its dismounted from the bike so I could snap a pic and post it. Back in a bit....

Back. First is to check all the bolts holding the stands brackets to the frame. When Arnie (Asolof) was up here May 2011 he was missing a bolt and the others were loose.

Click on Pic's to enlarge.

[attachment=3:vh1q9tag]Sidestand 1.jpg[/attachment:vh1q9tag][attachment=2:vh1q9tag]Sidestand 2.jpg[/attachment:vh1q9tag][attachment=1:vh1q9tag]Sidestand 3.jpg[/attachment:vh1q9tag][attachment=0:vh1q9tag]Close up of Bolt.jpg[/attachment:vh1q9tag]

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Buffalo said:
I don't remember anyone posting of having this problem on the 650 so you may be the first.
I've seen it on Dave Hobin's '07. It's like the pivot bushings wear out and there's a lot of play at the pivot but I haven't taken one apart yet. Come to think of it the '05 I bought might have the problem too. I just swapped it out for my '03's.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Tromper said:
Hi folks,
I have the dreaded sidestand flop.
Please send us a pic of the floppy sidestand for reference. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry no pics at this time, got my ebay low miles 07 sidestand (compete) and the old one has a fair bit more play in the "hinge" bolt where the leg attaches to the bracket on..now trying to figure out how to get the pesky third "bolt" (a nut actually) the one that is noted "check this bolt" in Dave J's pics.
Once I get that off the rest should be fairly easy, then of course figuring out how to torque the critter back on will be fun.. :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts