Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to fill up my 400 like I always do and when I had finished I realized that it was on the side stand and I have always put it on the centerstand to fill up. Well I put the bike on the centerstand thinking I would have to put a little more gas in, but even on the centerstand the gas level was exactly the same! So maybe it doesn't matter on the 400 if it's on the the centerstand or sidestand.

Has anyone else noticed this? :?:

Steve

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Hi Steve,

I'm just slumming here in the 400 forum, because I can't sleep and I've read everything in the 650 forum. :wink:

Where is the filler on the 400? Is it on the left side, like on the 650? If so, I'd think being on the side stand would tip the filler opening below the level of the top of the tank, but maybe not.

On the 650 it doesn't make a lot of difference; maybe a half-gallon, if that. But at 45 - 50 MPG that 1/2 gallon can make a difference of 20 miles or so of riding distance.

I think I'll look over my 650 more closely. Maybe the side stand / center stand thing is a myth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
gas fill

Hi all,
Because the gas fill is in the center and low down in front of the seat on the 400, I don't think there is any difference in the amount you can get in the tank. So, which ever you find works best for you, fill'er up and go ride.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
If I recall, the filler on the 400 is straight up in the middle of the hump. I don't think that makes a difference though, because you shouldn't be filling to the brim of the filler anyhow.

The difference in filling the tank on either stand is minor. I prefer to do it on the centerstand, but in rare cases where that isn't convenient I have used the sidestand. If you fill 'till the pump clicks off, I think there is about 2 or 3 tenths of a gallon difference - less than you would think.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The only reason I use the centerstand when filling the 400 is that it's easier for me to be consistant when filling up. I always fill the tank to the bottom of the tube in the tank.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I don't know if you would get more gas in using the center stand. I use the kick stand fill to the top rock the bike a little and it drops I do this three or four times.
I have to try using the center stand..Maybe no rocking. :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Well, good to learn that the 400 filler is different than the 650. Something I didn't know.

Yeah, if it's in the center in front of the seat then I can't see that it would really matter.

As Paul noted, on the 650 if does make a small difference. I guessed less than .5 gallons, and he said .2 - .3 based (I assume) on experimentation.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I did

billmeek said:
The only reason I use the centerstand when filling the 400 is that it's easier for me to be consistant when filling up. I always fill the tank to the bottom of the tube in the tank.
Bill, that's exactly the same thing I do, to the bottom of the tube only it was exacly the same level after filling on the side stand when I put it on the centerstand. There was no differance, I figured I would have to put in a little more but I didn't. I, like you am trying to be very consistant. That's why I always put it on the centerstand but I guess it doesn't matter.

Steve

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Last night I accidentally overfilled my 400 all the way up to the very brim of the neck, so that I was certain to spill some fuel when I put the cap on. My scoot was on the sidestand. Since I _hate_ wasting fuel, even just a few drops, I grasped the bike by the handlebars and raised it up to the vertical and maybe even a tiny bit beyond. After a few seconds (there was quite a noticeable delay) some large bubbles emerged, and the next thing I knew the whole filler neck was empty, and (I think) even part of the top of the tank! If I hadn't already hung the nozzle back up and shut off the pump, I could have gotten a significant additional amount of gas in.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another try

Lapine Rider said:
Last night I accidentally overfilled my 400 all the way up to the very brim of the neck, so that I was certain to spill some fuel when I put the cap on. My scoot was on the sidestand. Since I _hate_ wasting fuel, even just a few drops, I grasped the bike by the handlebars and raised it up to the vertical and maybe even a tiny bit beyond. After a few seconds (there was quite a noticeable delay) some large bubbles emerged, and the next thing I knew the whole filler neck was empty, and (I think) even part of the top of the tank! If I hadn't already hung the nozzle back up and shut off the pump, I could have gotten a significant additional amount of gas in.
after I put it on the centerstand I watched it for a little bit and didn't notice any change. But I will try it again (this time on pupose) and see what happens.
Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Fill the bike up to the top while it's on the center stand, (put your parking brake on) rock the bike side ways you will see large bubbles and the gas will go down, you can then top it off and rock it again 3 or 4 times.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: gas

hankth said:
Lapine,
That is an interesting post! I'm going to try that next time. Thanks
Hank
I have tried it again twice and it made no differance at all. If you fill the gas tank while on the sidestand like you would normally ( like waiting a few seconds to let it settle) and then fill it to where you normaly do and then raise the bike up level you will notice no change. Nice, now I can do it all on the side stand. I have learned to ck the oil with it on the side stand like the manual says to do. With it on the side stand and standing on the right side I remove the dip stick and then insert it into the hole and hold it there like you would normaly and then pull the bike level with the handle bar, hold for a second and then let it go back on the side stand and read the stick. :wink: Actually very easy. :lol: :lol: Now if I can just figure out this gas mileage thing. :roll:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have noticed the Shell stations around here set the pump on a higher ground with floor slanting away. As I set the Burgman on side stand, it actually stands quite a bit more vertical. For cars, the filler will be pointing upward more.

Don't know if this is deliberately set to increase sales.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts