Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a passenger who finds it difficult to get the old leg off the seat when dismounting. Question: If I put the sidestand down, dismount, and do whatever I have to do (run into a store, pump some gas, whatever).... is it strong enough to hold the bike with the passenger on?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,593 Posts
With all of the bikes I've owned, that's never been a problem. The sidestand on my 650 seems to be just as stable and secure as any I've seen so I think it's quite capable of supporting a passengers weight. I know that before I bought my bike I sat on it with the sidestand down in the showroom and it was ok with my 260 lbs. Try it yourself. Make sure you always use the parking brake!
However, I wouldn't let any passenger sit on the bike while gassing it up (especially one who would have a problem getting off quickly). If something would go wrong and a fire would start at your bike or one of the other pumps, the split seconds it would take to dismount and get away could make a difference. :D

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, its reassuring! Taking it a step further, how about the passenger getting off with just the sidestand supporting the bike (in case I'm in the store and the passenger is waiting on the bike)? Or is that pushing it too far?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,076 Posts
I ride 90% + 2-up. The centerstand is very stable, and have no concerns there. But I am personally uncomfortable having a passinger on the bike using the sidestand, unless I'm on it, just in case.
I think structuraly it would be fine to do, but the cg (center of gravity) would be off. The "Tip over Factor" is still unknown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim said:
I ride 90% + 2-up. I personally uncomfortable having a passinger on the bike unless I'm on it, just in case.
I think structuraly it would be fine to do, but the cg (center of gravity) would be off. The "Tip over Factor" is still unknown.
Yeah, that's how I feel too... that's why I'm asking about bike/sidestand behavior without me there to balance the bike/passenger. Just trying to make it easier for the passenger who really has a hard time dismounting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,411 Posts
chuck807 said:
...that's why I'm asking about bike/sidestand behavior without me there to balance the bike/passenger. Just trying to make it easier for the passenger who really has a hard time dismounting.
Can your passenger dismount more easily once you're off the bike? I think having it on the sidestand with you there to stabilize it and lend a supporting arm would make it easier to get off than having to swing a leg over while you're sitting on it (an advantage of an open frame), but would be safer than to stay seated while you're away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brian said:
chuck807 said:
...that's why I'm asking about bike/sidestand behavior without me there to balance the bike/passenger. Just trying to make it easier for the passenger who really has a hard time dismounting.
Can your passenger dismount more easily once you're off the bike? I think having it on the sidestand with you there to stabilize it and lend a supporting arm would make it easier to get off than having to swing a leg over while you're sitting on it (an advantage of an open frame), but would be safer than to stay seated while you're away.
I'm not sure... haven't tried with me off the bike yet. I have a driver backrest which I'm sure doesn't help (although it does fold down a little bit). Just having a hard time convincing myself that the bike isn't going to tip over with just the sidestand while someone's on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,411 Posts
chuck807 said:
...I have a driver backrest which I'm sure doesn't help (although it does fold down a little bit)....
Yeah, a driver's backrest would kind of put a damper on the passenger's just pivoting off. I hadn't thought about that.

chuck807 said:
...Just having a hard time convincing myself that the bike isn't going to tip over with just the sidestand while someone's on it.
Well, I guess the only thing to do is to try it yourself and see how stable it is. Jut be ready to catch it if it starts to tip over.

(And wear a helmet and padded jacket during the "experiment." :shock: )

Let us know how it goes, please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Engage the parking brake before allowing the passenger to wiggle the Burgy
around while alone on the back.

Even with the brake on they can tip to the right too.

---

When I owned an AN650, a portly gal was invited by me for a
friendly little ride.
We got on with the sidestand down just fine but after dinner I mounted my stead
without the stand down and she climbed onto the left rear running board
with her left foot, thinking she would swing around somehow.
There was so much weight off to the side, no amount of my holding onto the
handlebars or seat could keep us up and my 650 got a scratch on the lower
left side.
Sensing that we were going over she simply stepped onto the ground while
I fell on my left elbow and shoulder.

I got compliments from strangers about how easy it was to help me lift it back up.
The scratch on my left elbow took a month to scab over and heal.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top