Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting a sidecar on my Burgman, and towing a motorcycle tent trailer, so my wife and I can tour the country. My question is, will this cause any undo wear and tear on the transmission? Will it wear it out quicker?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It would add more stress but whether it wear it our faster I can't say. But it would only make sense that it would.

I think the combination of the two is overboard. Why not just the sidecar and maybe add a large top box plus a pack between you and the box{in the rear seat}. Some sidecars also have extra storage in/on them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Were it me doing it...I'd go with a trailer.

A one-wheel trailer that can lean with the machine.

A sidecar...loses the ability to lean into turns; changes the whole nature of the machine and the ride experience. As for the wife: does she ride? A smaller rider, meaning of course most women versus most men, would do well on a 400.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
All that weight IMO is a bit much for a 650cc , I've seen that type of set up on a Goldwing and a Valkyrie which have the power to handle it . Also handling a rig like that is a different kettle of fish and there is a real learning curve to it . If I were to do some thing like that , I would go big in the power department and buy one that was already PROFESSIONALLY !! done . It might not be a bad idea for you to spend some time on a side car forum , those guys have been through it and have a wealth of knowledge .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think a Miata would be a better choice and you could put the top up when it rains.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. My wife does ride a Honda Helix but she prefers being fender fluff. The sidecar is so that she can doze off. The last suggestion about the Miata would be right up her alley.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
There have been a couple of 650s with side cars that have shown up at our Two Wheeled Texans Pie runs. Talking to the owners they say the bike handles them fine. Here is a picture of one of them. It was ridden be an older lady. Her husband rode the BMW sidecar rig in the second picture. They said her rig would actually outrun his. Of course her sidecar is a lot smaller and lighter.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks for all the info. My wife does ride a Honda Helix but she prefers being fender fluff. The sidecar is so that she can doze off. The last suggestion about the Miata would be right up her alley.
FWIW...I would NOT recommend ANYONE sleeping in a sidecar!

It seems more stable than a cycle; it probably is; but there's always the possibility of being tossed out with any violent evasive moves.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The sidecar is so that she can doze off.
Back in the 60's my first wife used to doze off very often whilst riding pillion. I always knew because her helmet had a peak which tapped me on the back of my neck as she rocked in sleep. She never once fell off. Go figure.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sidecar rigs, by their nature, put a lot more stress on the pusher (the motorcycle). Brake pads wear out quicker, clutches need to be replaced more often, and there are a whole new set of stresses the machine has to deal with. Another issue is that a chair will change the handling. Often, motorcycle owners who add a side car end up making changes to the bike's geometry like adding leading link front end. If you do decide to go with a sidecar, have the installation done by someone who knows what they're doing; setup is key to having a rig that will handle well at highway speeds. And be aware that riding a motorcycle and driving a rig are two totally different skill sets. If you know how to ride a motorcycle, you know where controls are - everything else is different. My local MSF people teach a sidecar course once a year, and it was worth taking.

FYI, I own a 2006 Ural Gear-Up, so I'm not talking through my hat. If it was me, I'd get a comfy hauling vehicle and a small trailer for my scooter/cycle. My wife has zero interest in riding, so we'd find a home base, she'd take the truck to go bird watching while I went riding. She could nap or read while we were traveling, and I wouldn't have to worry about her falling asleep and falling off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts