Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday was a beautiful day for riding. We took a 100 plus ride to south east Iowa around the rolling hills of Van Buren County along the Des Moines river area. All went well until we got back to town. Wife was in the lead with her 650 and sidecar. As she turned right onto a brick street in town her sidecar lifted which isn't too uncommon on a sharp right turn.
The only problem was the street was slanted and uneven brick and made her Burgy go down in a dip in the street. To make a long story short she hit the brake hard and brought the hack back down, but in doing so she still had forward momentum and shot up over the 10 inch curb and ended up in the grass medium. :oops: We were lucky that the medium had no trees in the area she ended up and was only grass. Only thing hurt was her pride and she made a pretty good divit in the grass with her cycle boot as she dragged her left leg to regain balance. Sidecar and Burgy fittings a little out of alignment, but with a few wrenches we will git her done and back on the road again! I also went out to the local Walmart and I am adding another 60 pounds of sand tube weight to the rear of the sidecar behind the seat to discourage future lifts~

Helix
:D

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thanks for sharing the story Rich. I can't even envision what going over that curb on a Burgman would be like. Thankfully all that was hurt was her pride. Hope you get the Burgman back on the road soon :D :wink:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Helix, glad to hear that your ride on Sunday didn't end up in anything more serious. It was a beautiful day, my wife and I were our riding Sunday along the Mississippi. We're familiar with the area you described. Very pretty, great for nice rides. Hey, I see that you are an international celebrity! The pictures of your bikes, top cases and side car are on the German site!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Scooter Gods Are Protecting You

Hi Helix,

I've been off line for more than a week and just found your post today. Glad to hear your wife did not suffer bodily injury. I just got through reading the United Sidecar Assn book, "Driving a Sidecar Outfit" and it's been quite an eye opener. Can't wait to try out the various exercises it outlines, even one that simulates the very surprise your wife experienced.

Got word from the Texas Sidecar Co last Friday that my rig is ready for shipment. Who knows how long it wil take to get to Honolulu. He was very impressed with the compatibility of the Burger and TX SC. He was so jazzed after the ride that he had to call me to tell me what a stable machine the Burger combo is. Much better than on a Silverwing.

I don't know how to include a picture in this posting, but I've asked him to take a series of pictures to show the mounts and assembly process. I have a picture of my 650 with the chassis carrying some weights for a test ride. Later, I'll make up a gallery folder for this whole project.

BTW, I recommend the "Driving a Sidecar Outfit" book to anybody thinking of getting a sidecar. It's a safety course primer of high quality. It can be ordered from the United Sidecar Assn for about $25. Call Printwerk Graphics at 1-800-736-1117 to order a copy.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Look forward to pics of your new sidecar/650 rig.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chickenman,
Thanks for the reply and concern. We too were glad it wasn't more serious. We are happy to report the rig is completely realigned and ready to go. We have added another 75lbs of weight to the sidecar making for a total of 100lbs. This alone should help on the lift. We have been waiting for warmer weather for some more riding. Should be here soon! We too are looking forward to pics of your rig.

Sincerely,

Helix :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts