Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine shutting off when the side stand comes down has reached a breaking point with me! I had 3 very quick stops to make the other day where I was off the bike less than 2 minutes and would have preferred to leave the bike running (ie: drop a video tape back at the rental place) rather than keep using (and running down) the starter.

I'm planning on having my mechanic disable the engine cutoff when the side stand goes down. However, I was also planning on having him disable the starter unless the parking brake is engaged. Question: is there any disadvantage to having it wired where the parking brake needs to be engaged in order to have the bike start? I know there's a thread floating around about someone's parking brake freezing the rear brake on them but I'm not in a cold environment.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Chuck,

I sometimes (though rarely) leave the bike running when going into the store. When going to the local store, the bike doesn't have time to warm up on the trip there so I like to leave it running. Rather than using the sidestand, I just put the bike up on the centerstand and apply the parking brake.

The Burgman already requires the brake to be applied before you can start the bike. The parking brake can be used rather than the hand brake levers. Forcing the parking brake to be applied to start seems an unnecessary precaution to me and adds another point of failure to the startup procedure.

Just my 20 cents (2 cents + inflation) worth.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're absolutely right!! Since I start it every time without even thinking any more (its second nature), I seem to have forgotten that the hand brake is used at the same time the starter switch is pressed :oops:
Thank you!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Problem is you leave the Scoot running while leaned on the side stand as you pop into the store. Just suppose for those couple moment you're away someone walks by and twists/blips the throttle. Scoot takes off (as there is no neutral) and falls over, perhaps into the road and is crushed by a passing semi carrying bridge parts.

I will leave my sidestand safety switch as is.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
Just suppose for those couple moment you're away someone walks by and twists/blips the throttle.
One more argument for the center stand since it lifts the rear wheel. Add the additional safety of the parking brake and the risk is minimal.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JohnnyDeath said:
Problem is you leave the Scoot running while leaned on the side stand as you pop into the store. Just suppose for those couple moment you're away someone walks by and twists/blips the throttle. Scoot takes off (as there is no neutral) and falls over, perhaps into the road and is crushed by a passing semi carrying bridge parts.

I will leave my sidestand safety switch as is.
That's what the parking brake is for!
In actuality you make a good point but I'll still take my chances.
Brings up another thought... what would be involved to modify the switch on the parking brake to disengage the CVT so that it would permanently be in neutral while the parking brake is engaged?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Forget about the passing semi carrying bridge parts running over it, what about it takes off and hit a child can you say BIG law suit on your hands and don't forget that some jerk can just jump on and take off. You all have seen my burg and customize it is my think but for safety reason I would not mess with that switch so if the starter burns out hey that's why we have a warrantee for.

PS: Johnny don't you just hate this weather we have today, pity you put your machine away. Just came back from a nice little ride, in the sun the weather felt great.

·
Registered
355 Posts
burg650 said:
PS: Johnny don't you just hate this weather we have today, pity you put your machine away. Just came back from a nice little ride, in the sun the weather felt great.
You said it Roger! I did just go out to the warehouse to rotate my front tire a quarter turn (Don't want a flat spot come spring). If one of the forklift guys had been around I might have had them move the barriers I had put up, so I could shoot out for a quick spin. 48F is warm enough for me..

Waiting Impatiently for Spring,

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have never, ever, had a starter wear out on a motorcycle. I can't image why anyone would even worry about that. However, your chances of having the scooter stolen if you leave it running are pretty good. According to an article in the local paper yesterday, 60% of the vehicle thefts in this area involve vehicles that the owners left running. There is no way I would leave any vehicle of mine running unattended - even for a couple of minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
chuck807 said:
Question: is there any disadvantage to having it wired where the parking brake needs to be engaged in order to have the bike start?
Chuck, one disadvantage - if you mistakenly ride off with the side stand down and make a left turn or lean the bike to the left and the side hits the pavement, you may find your in a crash. I had a Honda Elite 150 this summer and it did not have a cut off on the stand stand. I hit the side stand a number of times when I rode off without lifting the side stand. The only thing that saved me from a crash was the side stand on the Elite has a 2" rubber end piece on it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
roy_ryall said:
Chuck, one disadvantage - if you mistakenly ride off with the side stand down and make a left turn or lean the bike to the left and the side hits the pavement, you may find your in a crash. I had a Honda Elite 150 this summer and it did not have a cut off on the stand stand. I hit the side stand a number of times when I rode off without lifting the side stand. The only thing that saved me from a crash was the side stand on the Elite has a 2" rubber end piece on it.
Yeah, I thought about that too. Hopefully I'll always remember to put the side stand up if I do in fact decide to disengage the stand's engine cut off switch. But I frequently return a video at the video store's outside drop slot where I'm literally off the bike for less than 10 seconds. Similar story with the bank - I walk into the bank, drop off my deposit envelope and I'm back on the bike in 20 seconds. Makes absolutely no sense to shut off the engine only to restart it seconds later.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The concept behind the sidestand cut off is absolutely logical. There is truly no reason to disengage it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Edwljoseph wrote
The concept behind the sidestand cut off is absolutely logical. There is truly no reason to disengage it.
I agree !

I do not think Suzuki would have even added the switch ( and wiring) unless they felt it was needed,
what ever the reason, safety, possible law suits , what ever.
-- By disengaging it you are now responsible for what ever it was they were concerned may happen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bill,

Question: When you leave the bike running to do an errand, the bike is on the centerstand and the parking brake is applied. Am I missing something...what good does the parking brake do when the rear wheel is suspended in the air? :?:

Please appease my curiosity...thanks, Bill [too].

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
BS said:
what good does the parking brake do when the rear wheel is suspended in the air?
It keeps the rear wheel from spinning at idle. If by chance someone puts pressure on the back of the bike and blips the throttle, they could (possibly) get it off the center stand. One other reason is it'd take a couple of seconds for a prospective theif to figure out what was going on when he tried to steal the bike since most bikes don't have a parking brake. It might give me a couple of moments to get to him and bean him over the head with a helmet. :twisted:

·
Registered
63 Posts
chuck807 said:
the parking brake needs to be engaged in order to have the bike start?
that's strange: mine starts even WITHOUT the parking brake being engaged :roll:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Burgyboy said:
chuck807 said:
the parking brake needs to be engaged in order to have the bike start?
that's strange: mine starts even WITHOUT the parking brake being engaged :roll:
You cut out the first part of that sentence where I posed the question:

Question: is there any disadvantage to having it wired where the parking brake needs to be engaged in order to have the bike start?

This thread deals with the thought of deactiving the side stand enginge kill switch. If that's done, I'm considering rewiring the engine starter to start only if the parking brake is engaged. Get it??

·
Registered
611 Posts
I road raced motorcycles for many years and to take them onto the track you had to remove the side and centerstands. That also meant you had to bypass the sidestand engine cutoff. I always hooked mine back up after the weekend when I put my sidestand back on (I raced in stock and superbike classes so my bikes were all street legal). Anyway - I knew a lot of people that didn't reconnect their sidestand cutoff switch and ended up eating it in a left hand turn. I'd recommend leaving it hooked up.

I'd also recommend you don't leave it running even if it's on the centerstand with the brake engaged. Kids (and adults) are curious, and the temptation to twist that throttle is very strong. I wouldn't be too sure of your scooter or the kid coming away unscathed from a good strong blip of the throttle. Let alone the thought of what happens when an oportunistic thief wanders by.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm amazed at how many people responded with "leave it as is"!

Being safety conscious myself, I'm looking to disable the side stand's engine kill in conjunction with something to circumvent the inherent danger. Some of the possibilities are:

- If parking brake is engaged, then lowering the side stand won't kill the enginge.

- If I can somehow install a neutral switch and put it in neutral, then lowering the side stand won't kill the engine.

I'd REALLY like to have a neutral switch installed somehow but I don't know if this can be done. Anyone know?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts