Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys plenty of side racks and cases listed for the 2013 - 2019 Burgmans but not much for the early ones. My question is, what changed on the later models after 2013 so that the framework will not fit the earlier models. Can the later side pannier mounts be adapted for the earlier bikes or did something drastic change.

Cheers Steve

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Kiwi Dave does not respond to emails and has not been on for a long time.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
657 Posts
I recently mounted side racks from Fehling for my 2012 Burgman 650 Executive. I had also used Fehling racks on my 2013 Burgman 400. Quality is outstanding, and they hold my Givi E22N side cases perfectly.

Reactions: ibuzzard and Dave_J

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, those Fehling look the part, think I'll get a pair, not too expensive either.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I recently mounted side racks from Fehling for my 2012 Burgman 650 Executive
Did you order thru the site you listed and which price column do you choose ?

If you don’t mind can you tell us what the price was with shipping....I really like the mounting points to the bike.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Did you order thru the site you listed and which price column do you choose ?

If you don’t mind can you tell us what the price was with shipping....I really like the mounting points to the bike.
The price on the left is what they charge non-EU residents because we don't have to pay VAT. The prices are in Euros so, with today's exchange rate, the USD price is about $171. The freight to me in Greater Cincinnati was EUR 35.75, so today the delivered USD cost would be about $210. The dollar has strengthened since when I bought these, so I paid $225 at the time. That was about the same as what I paid originally for the Givi E22N side cases on Amazon, so the total setup was about $500.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks guys, those Fehling look the part, think I'll get a pair, not too expensive either.
The instructions are in German, although they're not that difficult to figure out. In any case, I did a bunch of cutting and pasting into Google Translate and cobbled together the attached. Good luck! The setup is pretty simple, and you won't have to remove any Tupperware or drill any holes. Can be moved to another 650 easily without leaving any trace.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered the Fehlings. In the mean time thanks to a good reveiw on this Forum,picked up an almost new set of Givi Voyager soft panniers. Very nice, fit well and look good and sturdy. So if we ever get back to Spain I'll take these over for the Spanish Burgman and fit the hard ones (whichever I get) to the Fehling brackets on the UK one. Thanks guys.
As far as panniers for the Fehlings would you go Givi E21 or E22. I think I like the look of the E21's better. Or is there something else, remember I'm in UK. Dont want anything massive.
Thanks for those instuctions Dogboy.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Unless you are pouring the contents in, 1 liter difference will not make much differences. It comes down to looks. I have 2 E21's and rekey to my 54 liter top box. Easy on and off, on a 650 that is paramount as the gas cap is behind the left pannier.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have the E22's. I don't believe the E21's are offered anymore, at least not in the U.S. They were replaced by the E22.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update guys. I can now answer my original question. I tried two places for the Fehling brackets these would have been my preffered choice. Drew blanks, it would appear that these are out of stock and Fehling cannot put a date on when they will make more. So I thought I'd try plan B. The Givi mounts PL3104 are listed for the 2013 on 650's, looking at the mounting points I thought they would fit my 2009. Wrong. I ordered a set from Italy and they arrived. I attempted to fit and then found why they are different. Basically the passenger grabrails are different on the 2013 on models and the grabrail brackets on the racks do not in any way line up with the 2009 grabrails. Not wanting to send them back and having already bought some E21 panniers from the bay I thought I'll make them fit. On the right side the pannier mount picked up the two main points ok,the exhaust mount bolt and the bracket that comes with the kit that mounts on the centre of the three rack bolts.
With the rack in place on those two points I had to bend the grabrail bracket on the mounts and fabricate a small bracket to attach to the forward mount on the 2009.Job done.
The left bracket has the same attachment to the cross bracket that comes with the kit, and the seond mount uses a bracket that comes with the kit and bolts behind the voltage regulator, or at least it would if the hole centres were the same for the 2013 on regulators but they are not, so had to drill an new mounting hole in the supplied bracket to enable it to be attached. Once attached and just to make things a little more difficult the right side tupperware which I had loosened to gain access to the regulator bolts would not sit back in place due to the bracket, so out with the dremmel to rehape the bottom of the panel (not seen) to clear the bracket Once that was done and the bracket fitted I attached the pannier bracket at the two points then bent the grabrail bracket slightly as I had done on the right side and made a simple bracket to attach to the 2009 grabrail as per the right side.
So gents to cut a long story short, they don't fit, but can be made to fit. An interesting lockdown afternoon.

Cooperman

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just an update guys. I can now answer my original question. I tried two places for the Fehling brackets these would have been my preffered choice. Drew blanks, it would appear that these are out of stock and Fehling cannot put a date on when they will make more. So I thought I'd try plan B. The Givi mounts PL3104 are listed for the 2013 on 650's, looking at the mounting points I thought they would fit my 2009. Wrong. I ordered a set from Italy and they arrived. I attempted to fit and then found why they are different. Basically the passenger grabrails are different on the 2013 on models and the grabrail brackets on the racks do not in any way line up with the 2009 grabrails. Not wanting to send them back and having already bought some E21 panniers from the bay I thought I'll make them fit. On the right side the pannier mount picked up the two main points ok,the exhaust mount bolt and the bracket that comes with the kit that mounts on the centre of the three rack bolts.
With the rack in place on those two points I had to bend the grabrail bracket on the mounts and fabricate a small bracket to attach to the forward mount on the 2009.Job done.
The left bracket has the same attachment to the cross bracket that comes with the kit, and the seond mount uses a bracket that comes with the kit and bolts behind the voltage regulator, or at least it would if the hole centres were the same for the 2013 on regulators but they are not, so had to drill an new mounting hole in the supplied bracket to enable it to be attached. Once attached and just to make things a little more difficult the right side tupperware which I had loosened to gain access to the regulator bolts would not sit back in place due to the bracket, so out with the dremmel to rehape the bottom of the panel (not seen) to clear the bracket Once that was done and the bracket fitted I attached the pannier bracket at the two points then bent the grabrail bracket slightly as I had done on the right side and made a simple bracket to attach to the 2009 grabrail as per the right side.
So gents to cut a long story short, they don't fit, but can be made to fit. An interesting lockdown afternoon.

Cooperman
Pictures, please!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dogboy I'm just waiting for some stainless bolts and I'll post some pictures when done, if I can,lol.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Excellent job Cooperman. This is how we have to come up for solutions when the Aftermarket does not cover us.

I can take some real good pictures with measurements of the home built steel bar GIVI racks on my 2003 for anyone to copy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts