Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a picture of a Honda reflex with a side-cart/side-car.
Do they make one for the 400 Burgman too? I don't mind getting one, (if it looks good) so I'll feel safer riding in the rain or even in winter time..

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Wouldn't a trike kit be more stable than a sidecar? And what kind of a performance hit will you take adding a sidecar to the 400? For me, I'd feel safer riding without a sidecar in normal day to day conditions.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Riding with a sidecar takes a whole new set of skills. I've never done it, but I've read articles about it and I've talked to folks who use them. I only saw one Burgman 650 with a sidecar at Scootercade - I think it was one of the 'Texas Sidecar' rigs.

I do realize that the day might come when I might need a trike or sidecar rig. Some medical conditions are not reversable. And I would consider one of these alternatives, rather than give up riding. But to some folks, there is an attraction to riding with these rigs even though they don't need them for physical reasons.

The reason I now wish that I had ridden the trike conversion at Scootercade, is just to satisfy my own curiousity. Same reason I went hang gliding a few years ago. I don't want to do it again - but I HAD to see what it was like!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Gotta Get a Sidecar

Pauljo, the time has come for me. I've always wanted to get a sidecar, but my wife was more than just a little cool toward the idea. Things have changed (no, still have the wife) and I clearly see the handwriting on the wall. Doctors thought what I had was asthma, but it turned out to be pulmonary fibrosis which literally takes your breath away. So combine that with residuals from a spinal cord injury, I am forced to face reality. Get rid of the Burger, or get a sidecar. Not a hard choice to make.

So, I'm looking for anybody who's got any experience in adapting fittings to the Burger. I'm now gravitating to the 500 series of the Velorex, but the key to installing any sidecar will be the mounts. There's a guy in Honolulu who will help me on this project, but we'd have a headstart if anybody has already done this and can enlighten us.

Texas Sidecar put one of their models on a 650 (or was it a Silverwing) which was probably the one you saw at Scootercade. I'm not sure that the 650 and 400 share the same frame, so it's likely even they would have to "re-invent the wheel."

Doug Bingham in San Fernando Valley (Van Nuys) is an expert and known as the father of sidecars, see http://sidestrider.com/ , but he too, has to have a Burger in hand to be able to make the mounts. I'm not crazy about the cost of shipping my 400 to him, but if that's what it takes, I'll bite bullet and spend the dough. Good time to ride it up to Gilroy for a Corbin seat :p

What the hell, I know I can't take it($) with me, have no other vices, and I need a way to haul my ukulele and guitarron to the beach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts