Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 650 Burgman. My husband got it for me as a Christmas gift. He rides a Gold Wing. We have logged on over 2000 miles since. I have an Insta-Trike installed on the Burman. It looks great, almost space techish. I am a novice rider and the trike set up with the automatic is perfect for me. It is like being in a car without sides.

Problem: I am really fed up with people coming up to me and saying "When are you going to get those training wheels taken off? or "Why do you have those training wheels? etc. I think you get the idea. When we stop anywhere, people crowd around and the comments start. :evil:

Can you help me come up with some snappy retort? :idea: I know most of the people are curious and can't think of anything to say. I get a lot of harassment from Harley riders. They have that Harley mentality. I would like to race them and show them how fast my Burgman can go.

I love my scooter. It is so easy and fun to ride. Don't tell me to take the trike wheels off. It keeps me safe and gives me the confidence I need.

I am checking the oil each time out though, after what I read about Bill Meek's experience. :cry:

I know someone can help me as you are all so clever. I loved the "halfabusa" and "scooter on steroids".

Thanks and happy riding. :)

Scooter Mom

·
Registered
719 Posts
scooter mom said:
I am a novice rider and the trike set up with the automatic is perfect for me...Don't tell me to take the trike wheels off. It keeps me safe and gives me the confidence I need.
Please take the MSF Beginners class. You will learn a lot of things regarding maximizing your safety in traffic (useful on a bike or a trike). You will also learn some motorcycle riding skills.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

Your confidence will go way up also. Then you can make a decision, free of fear, regarding whether you choose to ride a bike or a trike.

Riding a motorcycle needs to be internally directed, not pushed by other people. If you choose to hold what you've got, just tell those who suggest otherwise that you "are not considering other options. Thank you." Continue saying that as many times as necessary until they stop asking.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Scooter Mom,

I am from NYC, so if this reply seems crass, please except my apologies. I would tell anyone teasing you to go [email protected]#$**@!!! themselves. :shock: I bet that would get them to stop. :wink: Ride your burg any way you want to, and, most importantly, ENJOY YOURSELF! :p

Take care and Gob Bless!

-Willy :wink:

·
Registered
58 Posts
SCOOTER MOM

HI SCOOTER MOM---There comes a time when you stop caring what
other people say and [or] think and that time is nowwwww!!! You really
like [love] your BURGMAN so don't worry about it. Someday your time will come when sad to say if your on two wheels long enough [it's not if but when you go down] then it will be up to you if you comment to them maybe they need a couple of extra wheels,but in the mean time just
enjoy your freedom as you go down the road. If you or the rest of us
worried about what they think we would still all be riiding on four wheels or walking.-- GOOD LUCK AND BE CARFULL.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Just a few thoughts,

1st Point:
Do some these people even ride?
I have had some comments said to me. 99% are from people who don't even ride. So why try and impress someone who has no clue what it's all about.

2nd :
It's about being on bike (or trike). If fellow bikers are giving you crap all the time, there probably just pissed you are having as much (or more) fun than they are, at a lot less cost than they paid for, Arrogant ***holes just hate that.

3rd: "Posers", just trying to fit into group because they are lonley, and try to bring down any one who is happier than they are.
Tell them what I tell 'em "I don't follow the standard, I set the standard"

4th. You could say "At least I have a smile when I ride, do you?" if they say they yes, reply "Well that's the point, isn't it"

Bottom line, you should do what makes you feel safe and happy.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I also have a Tow Pac trike kit (on my Silver Wing) and know exactly what you are getting. I think most of the comments are made in fun and if I respond with a big smile on my face with something like "If I take 'em off, I'll fall down!" I get a return smile, then they come over and ask ton's of questions about the kit. Most end up saying "Cool" and we have a great chat.

If I ever get someone making a serious negative comment about the trike (as I have had about riding a scooter) I just look at them with a completly blank face and, in a very calm voice, not in a smart ass way, ask "What do you care what I ride?" That usually ends the conersation right there.

I have to say, in almost a year of "trike" riding with my scooter, I've had many, many more positive comments from riders and non-riders than negative comments. In fact, my wife started calling my Reflex Trike the "Babe Magnet" from all the women who came up to ask me about it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here is an idea for what to tell them.
let me regress a bit. Many many years ago, when I first started riding. I rode a moped. I put a sign on the back that said...."when I grow up, I'm gonna be a harley"
I got alot of laughs from it. It was cute.
so...
make up a fancy sign, hang it on the back , something like..." when I grow up, I'm gonna be a Goldwing trike"

Make fun of the situation. Turn the harrasment to something cute.
and like others have said...don't give a **** what others think...do what feels right to you.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You stated that Harley riders are the majority of the offenders. Just tell them you are saving up for a Heritage Softail "trike" and that you have your leg injured while in the armed forces. They'll love you to death. :)

Not to completely hijack this thread, but how does that "Insta-Trike" work? Does the drive tire still touch the ground or does it sit on rollers and drive the trike tires?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Scooter Mom,

Tell'em, "They're not training wheels ... they're landing gear". :D

You do have one major advantage in that the 650 has a warning light for low oil where the 400 doesn't. I don't know if the 650 has the same part (valve in the top of the engine) that could fail and cause a quick loss of oil. I doubt it does ... but you do have the warning light to let you know before the oil gets seriously low.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I agree with everyone else, just ride what you like and enjoy it. Besides, most of the people that give you negative comments are just jealous of the Burgman anyways :wink:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Just say: "I tried going without them, but if I take off those wheels, It's a little unstable above 150 mph...so i'd have to get rid of the nitrous and afterburner kit too. I just won't do that til i'm 80 or so...."

OR: "It won't float without those, and I love to go fishing every now and then...kicking back on the burgman, with a burger and a beer. Nothing beats fishing while sitting on my Electric Burger Boat..."

OR: "This allows me to do wheelies at 80 mph....Want to see?" And then take off.

I'll think of more later...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Last Sunday, I went for a ride with my buddies, one of them is sort of a bike snob. He is asking how much longer I’m going to ride the scooter, “Why don’t you get that new Triumph Sprint ST? You should be on a sport-touring bike. You don’t have to get another sport bike. Blah. blah…”

Then he goes to someone else and starts to tell them that their ZRX1100 is “just ugly.”

The ride to brunch was most beautiful, and everyone was enthusiastic. When the conversation turned to me I said, “The entire time I was riding through the country, the only thing I could think about was how much more fun I would be having on a motorcycle.” Most people laughed, but the snob got real quiet; I think he understood my point.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
scooter mom
Just ask yourself why you ride, I doubt if any of your answers will be because of "what other people say or think" .
There has got to be a thousand answers you could give someone.
I think the best would be.... just a simple Mona Lisa smile :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Even without the outriggers many of us get the "stupid thing" happening. When people are stupid, well then, they just are. Stupid is as stupid does right!? 8) Get a sticker for your bike that simply says "Bite Me!" :D - maybe that'll shut 'em up! I came across the same guy that said he thought that my Moonpie was gay today and he was backpeddaling in the restroom, and was saying that "you guys have me almost talked into getting a bike" and said to him - please man, whatever you do, don't get a burgman! 8) His and his type would definitely lower the "real estate value" for the rest of us!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
bechtoea said:
Not to completely hijack this thread, but how does that "Insta-Trike" work? Does the drive tire still touch the ground or does it sit on rollers and drive the trike tires?
I saw these kits in use at Scootercade. The rear drive wheel is still on the ground and driving the scooter. The Tow-Pac kit actually does function like a heavy duty set of training wheels. It's sole purpose is to keep the scooter upright.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think that the root of the problem is confusion over the motorcycle's basic function. To most of the people here on this forum, a group by definition open to scooter-riding, a motorcycle or scooter is a two (or three) wheeled transportation device which can also be used to have a lot of fun. To many if not most other riders, however, a motorcycle (_never_ a scooter, or at least not in the USA) is an expensive status symbol and badge of personal skill and courage. To holders of the second viewpoint, any bike that is cheap, easy to ride, safe, or even too _practical_ is by its very existence upon the roadway is an implied threat. It serves, in their view, to water down the image of all motorcyclists everywhere and is therefore a direct threat to their own self-image. Operators of scooters can, in this mindset, never be true "riders"; indeed, to those who hold this world-view, we scooter-lovers are annoying 'wannabees' who can't cut the real thing. Therefore, we clearly deserve to treated with contempt and bullied back into cages.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think most riders _consciously_ do this. But that is not the same as saying that they _don't do it_. Even good friends who ride quickly become uncomfortable around me when I tell them that I've bought a scooter, and most immeditately begin to try and talk me into a "real" bike, in the sincere manner that one employs when trying to talk to a friend who's done something remarkably stupid, and needs a little fatherly guidance in order to get back on track. It becomes old in a hurry, but I try to be patient.

I don't think this problem will ever be solved, really. Its roots lie deep in our psychology as humans, and the manner in which we use our possessions to project and define our essential selves.

<sigh>. In my case, at least, understanding _why_ this happens helps me not to take it so personally. It's just people being people, and most would _never_ go down this path if they really understood and thought about what they were doing.

·
Registered
806 Posts
All I can say to the previous post is that you are 100% on the money.

WOW!

I would add that these folks in question really have a problem with those of us that are NOT rookies. We are the ones that, after years of riding long distances on "real" motorcycles, have made the move to scooters. We posess the skill and financial resources to purchase anything we want and choose a scooter. No age, back, or leg problems, I just prefer the practicality, ease, and comfort of a scooter.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Tell them that you just took the pedals off last week and as soon as you get used to the engine you will take off the training wheels.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts