Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bike, 2008 400 with 5300 miles on it. I've never driven a 400 before this one. I've had many bikes and scooters over the years. My question is on taking off it studders or shutters whatever you want to call it. Is this a normal thing on these 400's? Once going like over 30 it smoothes right out.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yes, quite normal for CVTs. You need a clutch pad deglaze. The pads have been heated to where they are glazed. They just need to be sanded down. There is a special tool involved to get the clutch bell off or an impact wrench will do. Search forum for "deglaze", you'll fine lots of postings.

Shops will do it for $40-90. Takes an hour or less. Just make an appointment and wait is what I usually do.

Although you can't completely prevent it, it helps to blip the throttle to 4500 rpm on take off, which gets the pads engaged quickly (ie less heat) and then adjust your speed.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed taking off with a little more power helps. I was just babying it since I got it. I've only put on less then 50 miles so far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been blipping the throttle at take off, the rpms go to 4000, then it kind of pauses and then jumps to 5000 rpms. Just passed the first 1000 mile mark today...yea!

·
Registered
110 Posts
The judder is a VERY common problem with our 400's and I'm dealing with it as we speak with 4300 miles. Everything else about the bike is GREAT! Lots of information on this forum about the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
there's information on the forum on how to address this issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts