Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm scheduled to do a 700 mile trip this weekend, but I have a small problem with my 650. My 400 is promised to a friend to use, so I need to figure out if Lardy is good to go or not.

The other day, I started to hear a squeal from the rear area. It only happens at take off and only till 30 mph AND only when the bike is at tempurature, not the engine, but the bike in general (ie brakes, tranny oil, etc) takes about 15 minutes of riding before the squeal presents itself and then gets a touch worse, when fully heated.

I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as rear brakes. Sure enough, when applied, the squeak goes away. They changed the rear pads as the OEM were blued (I use the rear brake a lot). The shop said the rotor looked good. That seemed to help, but there is still some squeal at take off.

The bike runs GREAT at speed, no squeal whatsoever. The wheel runs free, so I don't think its a parking brake issue. Our route is mostly highways and country roads, no big braking demands.

I will have it properly diagnosed and repaired upon my return, but I need to figure out if its a big enough deal to shelve it for the weekend. The dealer squeezed me in as it is today.

It is an 05 with 13k on the clock. It has performed flawlessly since I bought it in September 2013 with 3500 miles, till now. We can arrange for a smaller bike for my friend. In which case I'd take my 400, but I'd like to take the 650.

So should it stay or should it go?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Let me tell you a story about my '07 650 with 24k miles. My clutch is gone to the point where she's almost unrideable. She still runs great at speed, but i feel as if I need to paddle with my feet when I first pull away.

This didn't happen overnight, but has been gradually building over the last 3k miles. I can get away with ignoring it for a while because I live where it's utterly flat; if I can't pull away with as much authority as I could last month, it's not big on my radar.

I have a friend here who not only rides, but is a professional mechanic who just sold 13 Ford engine blocks to some rebuilder. The rebuilder gave him $300 each for these things which Stever was happy to get out of his back yard. Steve tried riding my bike the other day and immediately told me my clutch was burnt up. He's going to bring some tools and help me do the work and I suspect this will fix the whole thing.

But the point is that, if your problem is also the clutch, it took a LONG time for it to get to the point of being a problem. I'd think you could do a 700 mile trip with no issues.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it is a clutch issue as a tap on the rear brake will make the squeal go away. But thanks for the input. Didn't know the 650 had clutch issues.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well here's the thing: what made my squeal stop was reducing my acceleration. I did it by easing off the throttle, but tapping the brake would do that too. Mine was a very mild squeal. It blended in with the rest of the sounds the bike makes and it took me months to realize there was something wrong.

I don't think it's so much "the 650 has clutch issues" so much as MY 650 has clutch issues. Lots of stop and go, lots of blazing sun, lots of miles... it happens. Seems like a fairly straightforward fix, actually.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It sounds like the rear Brake is dragging, do you have stock Oem brake pads on the rear or after market pads.

How does the Rear Brake Disc look on both sides,

Does it look glazed on either side of the rear disc.?

When was the last time you Purged & replaced all Brake fluid, out of the Brake system, and bled the Rear brakes.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'd say go - I think mine was dragging yesterday - I had earplugs in and thought I heard a squeal on take off and gas mileage was horrid.

I hammered them pretty hard a couple of times ( the bike had been sitting for a couple of months ) and the bike felt livelier and gas mileage returned to normal.
some sort of stiction??
I wondered about parking brake as well as I used to hold on a hill and it rarely gets used.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree with Westgl, sounds like a slight brake drag. The brake piston used a square sided o-ring to seal the fluid but also to help retract the piston from the brake rotor. If you have some corrosion/dirt built up in between the piston and the caliper cylinder wall this will prevent the piston from retracting and can cause the brake pads to slight drag and consequently start singing. This would happen more so as the brakes heated up as the disk itself would slightly grow in dimension causing the squealing you hearing.

MacDoc having calipers sticking on bikes that sit for periods of time is a common problem. Taking a rubber dead-blow hammer and smacking the calipers ( don't beat the snot out of it!) will loosen the pistons on the caliper and keep the brakes from dragging. We used to do this on the bikes that sat on the showroom floor for long periods of time. ( pushing them around was a real bear when the brakes were dragging. )

Greg

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I would just go, it doesn't sound like an issue you should have to worry about leaving you stranded.

Let me tell you a story about my '07 650 with 24k miles. My clutch is gone to the point where she's almost unrideable. She still runs great at speed, but i feel as if I need to paddle with my feet when I first pull away.

This didn't happen overnight, but has been gradually building over the last 3k miles. I can get away with ignoring it for a while because I live where it's utterly flat; if I can't pull away with as much authority as I could last month, it's not big on my radar.
The '06 I bought would slip starting out, worse in Manual 1st or Power but was fine at speed, in fact using Manual 1st if I got it up to speed shifting into 2nd would snap you back. It wasn't the clutch but a bad bearing/worn primary pulley in the CVT allowing the belt to slip in the low ratios (hence it being worse in the lowest ratio). Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I had the same issue, but on the front brakes, on my '07 at about the same mileage - 13,000. It made a scraping/squeaking noise when I pushed it and at low speeds. Seemed to disappear at highway speeds. Dealer inspected and replaced the pads. Problem solved, but when I questioned him, all he said was that the pads were worn. Personally, I think it was either a pad that loosened from its' backplate, or a sticky caliper. Your pads have already been replaced - so I think you have a 'lazy' caliper.

I think it's OK to ride. (BTW - I first noticed the problem on Hwy 1 near Ragged Pt. I expect you'll be riding past there this weekend :cool:.)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, this is all very comforting.

I'm gonna swing by the dealer, maybe he can get me in tomorrow and, with this new found knowledge, take a whack at my calipers. Otherwise I'll take the bike and figure it out when I get back.

And yup Jeff_MDR, headed up highway 1, one of the best rides CA has to offer. Haven't done it 20 years. It's about time. :D

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Doesn't sound like a big thing to me. Ride it & have a safe good time. Who knows you might start liking your 650 better then your 400. :roll:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Doesn't sound like a big thing to me. Ride it & have a safe good time. Who knows you might start liking your 650 better then your 400. :roll:
Ha funny, I just might.

I do love both bikes. But I'm one of those riders that really wants to learn every nuance of my bike's ride. I rode the 400 exclusively for seven years, so I know it like the back of my hand. I know how its going to react in virtually every situation. Even riding a different 400 feels foreign to me. It has to be MY 400.

I've got almost a year and 10k on the 650, and although I'm a very good rider on it, many of the little nuances still escape me. There's a little wheel spin I didn't anticipate, or more engine brake than I was expecting, stuff like that. The 650 does have a lot more to learn that the 400, with the different tranny modes and the weight and balance is completely different. The solid mount engine vs swing arm mount even changes up the feel.

I'm not complaining mind you. I love learning all this stuff and I'm having a heck of a lot of fun doing it. But for now, the 400 is still more comfortable. Check back on the 650 in six years; I'm sure I'll have it down by then. LOL :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Liamjs, I do know what you are talking about. I have had my Burgman 650 for over a year but it just doesn't feel the same riding it as my V-Strom 650 does. I have the V-Strom set up for Adventure riding and have everything set for my body (the riders triangle). I love the way it pulls and shifts. If I hadn't developed medical problems that cause me difficulty in riding it I would have kept riding it for many, many years. I have had trouble selling it because I love it still and so I tell any prospective buyer every little nic pick I know about it and that scares them off. I really need to find someone to sell it for me so they won't kill the sale like I have been doing.

By the way, I do really like my Burgman 650. It's just I haven't fallen in love with it like I have with my V-Strom. I can even get on a friends V-Strom (same year) and it feels very different than mine. I just know and fit mine so well. Now as I get my Burgman set up the way I want it, things are better and I feel more at home on it now.

Take your 650 Burgman and have a great time. I think you will come home just a little more in love with it.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

The '06 I bought would slip starting out, worse in Manual 1st or Power but was fine at speed, in fact using Manual 1st if I got it up to speed shifting into 2nd would snap you back. It wasn't the clutch but a bad bearing/worn primary pulley in the CVT allowing the belt to slip in the low ratios (hence it being worse in the lowest ratio). Just a thought.
I appreciate the heads-up, MJR. The clutch has been completely disassembled (and reassembled but not torqued down) and Steve can't see any problem inside there at all. The problem may have been a lack of oil. It may have been improperly torqued. He's just not sure. So a fresh gasket and the stopper bolt are winging my way from PartZilla and we'll fill it back up with oil and see what happens. If there's no improvement, you've given me a new place to investigate. Steve will know exactly what you mean. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
http://www.klauswaldorf.com/scooterstuff/videos/LetsGetLost-LIAM.mp4

Okay, remember that little fall I had in January? First one in 30 years of riding? The mechanic thinks that it bent the caliper bracket just slightly, less than a MM. The old pads were somewhat blued and the new pads left a little ink mark on the rotor where they had been touching, perhaps just enough to cause the squeal. He didn't know why it presented itself now after seven month and 7k miles, but seems possible.

There wasn't time to get a new bracket, so he grinded a sliver off the existing one to true it up. Thus far, no squeal on my test ride home.

Seems Lardy is good to go. Thanks everyone for the input.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
So? How was the ride? How'd the bike do?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts