Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the PM done on my B400...oil change, inspection, and final drive oil. I just realized today that they used 85W-140 gear oil in the final drive. So...do I need to panic?

·
Registered
133 Posts
i have an 08 burgman 400 and use 10w40 motoroil. 64,000 miles.
bring that to their attention and see what they say. book calls for regular motoroil.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Panic no but it needs to be changed out with what Suzuki calls for which is same a what goes into the engine. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I would call the manager of where ever you got it done and have them refund you.
...or correct the error at no charge to you.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, think I'll do that tomorrow. (They close at 5.) If they won't fix it, I am giving serious thought to selling the bike...I am now at the point where NOBODY seems able to service it without screwing something up!

OK to ride it down, or do I need to wrestle it into my truck?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think they need to do it at no charge and give you a big apology.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your bike shop should be able to pick up your burgman with their service truck. I use 10w40 in my final drive plus use it in the engine, 5,600 miles and no problems.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
There is nothing at all to worry about, though it would arguably be best to drain it and refill with motor oil.

The SAE (Society of Automotove Engineeers) grading systems for motor oil and gear oil are separate and overlapping standards; SAE J300 for motor oil and J306 for gear oil--more about that here.

So though it sounds like 85W-140 gear oil and 10W 40 motor oil would have vastly different viscosities, and though standards cannot be compared "apples to apples", the fact is 85W-140 has a viscosity of 11 to 30 centistokes (cSt) at 100° C vs. 10W-40 motor oil's 4.1 to 12.5 cSt at 100° C.

This chart shows the relationship of the motor oil and gear oil standards:

You can see that there is considerable overlap in the two grading systems, and I could argue that the recommended use of motor oil in the final drive was more motivated by convenience and performance than any fear of accelerated wear or malfunction.

The original '03 shop manual recommended straight 90 weight hypoid gear oil for the final drive, something not "corrected" until two years later:

So find something else to panic over, drive it to the shop and ask that they install the correct fluid (actually they may have and it was just their invoicing system that listed the gear oil...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jarlaxle, you're stressing for no reason mate.. Relax. You don't need to sell your Burgie, it's probably one of the most reliable scoots out there..
Possibly consider checking out Mitch Burgsma's vids on how to do your own Servicing, and next round of oil change do it yourself.. it's an hour long job, and pretty simple to accomplish. Then you'll also have peace of mind it's done correctly.

Alan

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have to say I was surprised to find it was engine oil that was in the rear transmission gearbox when we had our 1st model Y Burgman many years ago because our shaft drive motorcycles called for hypoid oil in the rear gearbox. But since day one we have put engine oil in along with a small quantity of gearbox molyslip and its still running as sweet today. We have continued with the practice with our L2 model so hope that lasts as well ? :)

In answer to the original post I would as cliffyk says just call into the garage and point out the error and ask for rear gearbox to be drained and the correct spec oil added. As far as I know, the rear gearbox is generally fault free and I suspect there will be quite a few 400's running around with gear oil installed by mistake.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jarlaxle, you're stressing for no reason mate.. Relax. You don't need to sell your Burgie, it's probably one of the most reliable scoots out there..
Possibly consider checking out Mitch Burgsma's vids on how to do your own Servicing, and next round of oil change do it yourself.. it's an hour long job, and pretty simple to accomplish. Then you'll also have peace of mind it's done correctly.

Alan
No, you do not understand: my incompetence in this regard is complete. I am not capable of doing anything more complicated than adding oil. Were I to attempt to change the final drive oil, the chance that I would total the bike is high. I am "stressing" because everything I touch turns to ****.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I am not capable of doing anything more complicated than adding oil. I am "stressing" because everything I touch turns to ****.
This is indicative of needing more confidence in yourself or at least "your skills". Stop putting yourself down man.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to do your own maintenance. I know many people that are not "mechanically inclined". But maybe you CAN do some of these things? Perhaps you need to allow yourself the proper research, time, and tools before attempting it?

Some people I know are truly not inclined to do things with their hands, but some are just in too much of a hurry to TRY to do it correctly.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I still think there is good possibility that "gear oil" got printed on the invoice because that is what most bikes with right angle final drives take, and their system is set up to print that...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is indicative of needing more confidence in yourself or at least "your skills". Stop putting yourself down man.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to do your own maintenance. I know many people that are not "mechanically inclined". But maybe you CAN do some of these things? Perhaps you need to allow yourself the proper research, time, and tools before attempting it?
I have tried. I have failed utterly each and every time. There is a difference between trying something and knowingly pissing on the third rail. My incompetence knows no bounds.

Some people I know are truly not inclined to do things with their hands, but some are just in too much of a hurry to TRY to do it correctly.
And some people (like me) are absolutely, completely, and irredeemably incompetent.

I still think there is good possibility that "gear oil" got printed on the invoice because that is what most bikes with right angle final drives take, and their system is set up to print that...
No, I confirmed it: the final drive was filled with 85W--140 gear oil.

Time to seriously think about selling the bike and giving up.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
No, I confirmed it: the final drive was filled with 85W--140 gear oil.
How did you confirm this? If the shop that changed it told you so then have them drain and refill it with motor oil.

There is nothing wrong with gear oil in the final drive--'twas me I probably wouldn't even bother to change it until next time I had the CVT opened up or colder weather came.

Time to seriously think about selling the bike and giving up.
It sounds to me as though you are quite actively, for whatever real reason, seeking to convince yourself to sell it--so just do it and relieve the panic...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just that there is now NOBODY nearby I trust to service it. Three different shops, all of whom screwed something up! I confirmed it by asking the dude at the shop, who confirmed that they did, indeed, use gear oil.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
And they will not correct their mistake?

I think you should maybe not own a motorcycle, or learn to fix it yourself as has been suggested. Changing to another brand/model would not make the lack of competent service shops any different...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The shop is most of an hour away and service is closed on weekends. I will need to take a day out of work to correct their screw-up. (Actually, it wasn't a screw-up, it was deliberate!)

The only thing keeping me sane right now is riding. If I give it up, I will be dead or in a nut house inside of six months.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The shop is most of an hour away and service is closed on weekends. I will need to take a day out of work to correct their screw-up. (Actually, it wasn't a screw-up, it was deliberate!)

The only thing keeping me sane right now is riding. If I give it up, I will be dead or in a nut house inside of six months.
I am sure there are some competent people nearby who can do simple oil changes and routine maintenance for you. Sometimes mistakes are made (deliberate or not) and we just need to move on from it. I am not all that mechanically inclined, but watching Mitch's videos gave me confidence to try and was surprised at how easy it can be done. check for basic mechanics nearby and request they do it for you.

Yeah, riding is my therapy as well. Fiddling with the screws is also a stress reliever, try it.

dale

1 - 20 of 23 Posts