Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep coming back to the idea of a Burgman being a very handy thing to have at my disposal and am chasing a lead on a very tidy 2005 650 with ~35,000 kms on the clock.

It is VERY cheap though because the dealer (non-Suzuki) says it changes gears spontaneously because (their words) 'the bearings need replacing'. Happily it still has drive (he says).

I am fortunate to have rebuilt many Honda CBX's six cylinder engines over the years, right down to last nut and bolt, so am not fearful of CAREFULLY opening the transmission / CVT up at all and of course would be taking my time to do this, kinda like "motorcycling meditation".

Having also done a fair bit of tupperware work on a friends Honda ST1300 and my Suzuki VStrom 650 , this too would be useful experience when working on Burgies.

Have trawled thru this site and am most grateful for the skills, knowledge and experience so freely given by so many on the many CVT threads herein.

In the opinion of those far more experienced in CVT repairs on this forum, do you think I could be biting off far more than I can chew?

Any ideas or suggestions on the root cause & fix of inconsistent gear shifts on an ' 05 AN650 ?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers...herdygerdy :cool:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If it's cheap, and runs at all (in whatever 'gear') I would definitely buy it and would then relish the challenge of fixing it. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I think it all depends on the price and condition. If it's cheap enuf to be able to recover your money back selling the parts if you can't fix it then it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
As long as you get it for a price that you can make good on parting it out I'd say go for it. My guess is that you've got something similar to a used '06 that had slippage/shifting issues I bought. Given that figure if it's internal CVT your parts cost between $700-$1,600. I suppose on a chance it could be something simpler like a PPS or just a shorting wire on the left frame/motor mount in the step though area affecting the PPS reading.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Sounds like you are a fairly competent shade tree mechanic. Given that removing the CVT and taking it apart should be no big deal. Like MJR mentioned the issue could be parts cost depending on what is wrong. A few things that could be bad are also pricey, like the primary pulley assembly. This link will give you an idea of what the parts run. http://www.partshark.com/fiche_sect...gory=Scooters&make=SUZUKI&year=2003&fveh=2071

Edited to add, I just noticed you are in Australia, others have posted that parts there are higher than the prices on the USA site I posted.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Its gonna boil down to how cheap and how much time you want to invest.

From the sound of things, I would go for it, of course that's cause I love my 650 and don't ever want to be without one again.....

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Keep coming back to the idea of a Burgman being a very handy thing to have at my disposal and am chasing a lead on a very tidy 2005 650 with ~35,000 kms on the clock.

It is VERY cheap though because the dealer (non-Suzuki) says it changes gears spontaneously because (their words) 'the bearings need replacing'. Happily it still has drive (he says).

I am fortunate to have rebuilt many Honda CBX's six cylinder engines over the years, right down to last nut and bolt, so am not fearful of CAREFULLY opening the transmission / CVT up at all and of course would be taking my time to do this, kinda like "motorcycling meditation".

Having also done a fair bit of tupperware work on a friends Honda ST1300 and my Suzuki VStrom 650 , this too would be useful experience when working on Burgies.

Have trawled thru this site and am most grateful for the skills, knowledge and experience so freely given by so many on the many CVT threads herein.

In the opinion of those far more experienced in CVT repairs on this forum, do you think I could be biting off far more than I can chew?

Any ideas or suggestions on the root cause & fix of inconsistent gear shifts on an ' 05 AN650 ?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers...herdygerdy :cool:
The first thing I would ask is HOW CHEAP IS CHEAP ? Then what is the rest of the bike like ? If the rest of it like the plastics , the tires , the seat etc etc are all beat up I would say NO ! Take a good hard look at the bike in it's entirety , then add about $1,500 just for parts to fix it . Plan for the worst and hope for the best , and pay accordingly .

TheReaper!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts