Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

should I buy with abs Iam from new zealand

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  chiefkeefe 
#1 ·
hi there I am currently looking at buying a burgman 650 can someone please tell me the advantage of the abs breaking in the latest burgman ...for those of you without it the abs is the braking good and how does it handle at slow speed going down hill on tight corners please,
I currently ride a piaggio x9 500 but am having incredible problems accessing parts hense the change of bike.
debs

#2 ·
Welcome to Burgman USA Debs. I am sure someone here can answer your questions about the ABS. 8)

#3 ·
Hi Debs
Welcome to the forum :hello2:

Well you have touched on a controversial subject and you will not get a definitive answer.

If I can sum up the arguments:

1. Early implementations of ABS were less than effective in all situations.
2. Experienced riders believe they can outperform ABS is all situations and at all times.
3. Some purists maintain this is just more weight, cost and something else to go wrong.
4. ABS can kick in and prevent you losing control when in other circumstances you would be sliding on your ass!
5. Most (even experience) bikers do not maximise the braking effect available to them and effectively underbrake. If you have ABS (and are upright) you get the max braking effect every time - can you imagine any circumstances when this may be a nice thing?

Personal opinion - would I have ABS on a bike:
1. In a heartbeat!

PS: I also wear a safety helmet and armoured riding gear not because I think I am going down - just in case - ABS is part of that safety equation as far as I am concerned.

#4 ·
debs,

Welcome to USA. There are those who like ABS, and those who don't. I find that the 650 brakes extremely well without it. If you have limited experience with riding motorcycles/scooters you might be better off with an ABS model.

The 650 is one of the best handling big scooters. For the slow tight work, put the transmission in "Power" mode. This gives you more engine braking. Roll the throttle up and down smoothly instead of abruptly opening and closing it and you'll find that you need very little brake. With the right technique, the 650 is the best bike I have every ridden in tight twisties.

#6 ·
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums debs. Glad to have you join us.

#8 ·
In my opinion, ABS is a plus for most riders. Yes, an experienced (highly skilled) rider may be able to apply maximum braking safely in an emergency on a wet or slippery surface. But, most of us would be much better off with ABS.
If it was available to me, I wouldn't hesitate to pay for the option.

Don

#9 ·
Debs,

A good question you raise. As Norm indicates, this is a subject that divides opinion within the motorcycling community every time it is looked at. Norm and Dom skillfully present both sides of the argument well, and I would like to add a little to that:

• 1. ABS should be viewed a braking assistance device for emergency braking in wet weather or on loose surfaces – especially beneficial in built-up and or urban areas.
    - ABS is not a way to reduce braking distance of routine braking in the dry, and all braking techniques that are applied with non-ABS bikes must be applied when riding a bike with ABS.
    2. ABS doesn't mean the brakes don't lock, it only means that they lock for fractions of a second which gives you a much better chance of staying upright in the rain in such emergency/panic braking situations as outlined above.
    3. Unless you don't ride in the rain, you can't choose under which weather conditions something will swerve into to your path, so ABS is certainly a "nice to have".
    - You may never use it, and indeed that's a "nice problem" to have. In 28,000km of all-weather commuting on my Reflex ABS, even in panic-braking situations it rarely engages, but one is "thankfull" when it does.
    4. In my experience, driving standards deteriorate along with the weather, so to stay safe we need to be most skillful when conditions are at their worst.
    5. The 650 is a hugely competent motorcycle, and with consistent practice (eg, practicing emergency braking in wet empty parking lots) this can be handled like a lighter scooter such as the AN400.
    - Not everybody has the time to practice weekly or even ride weekly which may leave them less well prepared for these events when they happen.
    6. ABS can take a lot of skill and luck out of the equation, and replace it with a dependable support system - so that the pilot can focus on the ride.

Note: The "combi-brake" system on the AN250/400 and SilverWing is very good in this respect, too. The AN650 standard model is not fitted with a combi-brake system.

I'm with Norm and Don on this one. My advice is to get the ABS version if you can - you can never have too much brakes.

#10 ·
ABS

HI Debs:
I had a similar problem in deciding which Burgman to buy. I looked very closely at the Executive and couldn't justify the difference in price between it and the stock model (I bought a K3...press release model from the US with less than a 1000 kms on it) First time registered in NZ with full two year warranty begining from my purchase date. The extra $6,000.00 NZ for the 2005 Executive (over the cost of my burgman) convinced me that I didn't need the ABS (and other bits and pieces they come with).
I'm enjoying the ride. Best thing to do is test ride both models (if you can still find a US Press Release model out there) and then make your decision.
Let us know how you get on.

John

#11 ·
thanks everyone I will have a ride of both and see how they handle .. I have been riding scoots for around 8 years now everyday started with a honda helix 250 (cn250) did around 87,000kms on it and yes I still have it then went to the piaggio x9 which is great but I cant get parts quickly enough have had it 13months 7 of those without a speedo cable and numerous other little problms plus having it knocked over 3 months ago and whillst it is still on the rode there are still no parts and I am very worried if it goes off the road for any reason and I cant get parts then I am out of work...!!!
will let you know what I decide
debs

#12 ·
Hi Debs.

Nice to meet you in cyberspace again :wink: I was sorry to hear about your mishap a few weeks back.

Regarding the 650's brakes: In my short period of ownership, I can truthfully say that the 650's (non-linked) braking system is extremely good, with enough sensitivity to permit a rider to brake well under most conditions.

I decided to buy the non-ABS model largely (but not entirely, see later) on grounds of cost. Having in the past owned two bikes with ABS (BMW K1100LT and BMW F650CS), I feel that ABS is something you can almost allow yourself to forget about until you need it, assuming of course that it requires minimal / zero maintenance, which of course it doesn't. The hard part is training yourself to grab a handful of brake lever in an emergency, knowing that the chance of skidding will be minimised or even eliminated altogether.

Once you've mastered this admittedly unnatural reaction to a road crisis, things become quite rosy. The main problem seems to be with those riders who feel that having ABS will help them to overcome the laws of Physics, which is plainly daft. You can still come a cropper with ABS but the chances are reduced, especially on wet, greasy or gravelly surfaces.

Stepping back onto a non-ABS bike is where most seem to falter, as they have once again to re-learn a sensitive use of the brakes.

If money is no object, then I think that I would have gone for the ABS Burgman, but only if it had been available in blue, which it wasn't :( .

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.