Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

should I buy with abs Iam from new zealand

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  chiefkeefe 
Hi Debs.

Nice to meet you in cyberspace again :wink: I was sorry to hear about your mishap a few weeks back.

Regarding the 650's brakes: In my short period of ownership, I can truthfully say that the 650's (non-linked) braking system is extremely good, with enough sensitivity to permit a rider to brake well under most conditions.

I decided to buy the non-ABS model largely (but not entirely, see later) on grounds of cost. Having in the past owned two bikes with ABS (BMW K1100LT and BMW F650CS), I feel that ABS is something you can almost allow yourself to forget about until you need it, assuming of course that it requires minimal / zero maintenance, which of course it doesn't. The hard part is training yourself to grab a handful of brake lever in an emergency, knowing that the chance of skidding will be minimised or even eliminated altogether.

Once you've mastered this admittedly unnatural reaction to a road crisis, things become quite rosy. The main problem seems to be with those riders who feel that having ABS will help them to overcome the laws of Physics, which is plainly daft. You can still come a cropper with ABS but the chances are reduced, especially on wet, greasy or gravelly surfaces.

Stepping back onto a non-ABS bike is where most seem to falter, as they have once again to re-learn a sensitive use of the brakes.

If money is no object, then I think that I would have gone for the ABS Burgman, but only if it had been available in blue, which it wasn't :( .

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.