1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
231 Posts
Neat video there. But you are right about the noise. It sounds as if you mounted a rocket booster on the back or something :wink:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also recorded my intire trip to work and after work to the pet supply plus and then home. But all together it equeled 250mb as an ASF file and to convert to mpg it doubles it, so i only posted this short vid. I plan on covering the mics to dapen the noise and try again tommarow.

:)

·
Registered
719 Posts
That was a blast! Watching you check both ways was at intersections was kind of fun too 'cause it was almost like doing it myself.

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
hey dude, are you 10 feet tall? that camera was looking WAY over the windshield, seemed like you were standing on the seat or something... :lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yup. Same here.

Thanks for posting these clips. :)

The helmet cam gave the best vantage point, and I thought that the image was very stable, as well. Was this because of hi-tech camera innards ...or your resilent neck muscles? :wink:

I look forward to any further posts on this subject - very useful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Which one is Hairy and which one is Phred?

This is awesome. I've heard of these video's but have never seen/heard one for real.

If you mounted it on the handlebar and/or behind the shield, would the wind noise decrease but the vibration ruin the view?

Wonder if you could put a microphone on it and put the mic in your helmet to protect it from the wind and also receive your spoken words? (that could be good OR bad)

Really looking forward to an active dialog here. Great discussion. Hope others that have done this join in.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
What I would like to learn about is the equipment used buzz. i googled helmet mounted cameras - but only browsed briefly. could you post up some small pics here so we can see what comprises a helmet cam rig? i have rca jacks on my video card on my pc (i can watch tv and surf the web @ the same time) - so if it can pump down to some sort of small inexpensive recorder and then get it dumped into my pc well - then i would be having a blast - i just dont think that i want to run out and spend 7 gigabux to "suit up!" :wink:

btw - if you'd like i can place those videos into flash and convert them to .swf files if youd like. - pete

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
warning - topic drift.
What download speeds were people achieving me a paltry 220KB/s on the link....................helmetscooter1.ASF

Nice video - a sound recording solution is required perhaps as suggested to inhibit the camera mic and input from inside via a helmet mic.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
yeah - what norm said. so if you feel so inclined buzz throw me a bone under the "how to" section. thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both mics were in the helmet(one on each side for STEREO sound), placed between the helmet padding and the shell, but these are high gain mics and i guess the wind went into the cracks and amped the sound(ps my helmet always sounds windy), since they did not have any foam on them, they were completely open.
I did a test today with some foam around the mics and it dapened the noise alittle, but still sounded like i had the rocket engine turned on, just a lower setting, but it still allowed the the sound thru from everything else(ME, trucks & cars), but i use foam from an old seat cussion. I think i need to get a slightly denser foam and try again.

I have a section on the equipment i used on my site, i need to update with what i used yesterday, as i tried out a DVR recorder.(should be updated completely in a couple days, been behind at my job.
This link will skip the flash part of my site for dialup users: http://www.kartingbuzz.com/helmetcamera/

As for mounting it, the helmet is the most stable place to mount it(but be warned as i posted in my link), as for the mic, it can be placed anywhere a person wants too, as it is seperate of the camera.

I am testing for gokarters, but what i use could cost between $350 and as high as you want to go.
I will post more info in a few days, as i'am making a list for anyone of where, what & along with costs that are up2date to todays costs.

:D
Lennie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts