Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for 150 mile ride today in temps ranging from 24-36F. First use of Gerbing jacket, pants, socks, gloves, operated by a dual controller. Hooked one controller to gloves only and the other operated the rest of the gear. Wore a thinly lined leather jacket over the Gerbing jacket to hold the heated garment closer to my body parts to prevent cold spots. It worked wonderfully...rode the entire time toasty warm; hardly realizing it was cold until we stopped and started peeling off clothes.

Two of our riders use only the heated jacket liner and gloves....which also works great, and they are satisified with just the liner. I tried that initially, but found I liked my feet and legs to be equally warm.

The quality of Gerbings stuff is outstanding.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I certainly agree on the quality of the Gearbing gear. I ride with the Gerbing Jacket Liner and Gloves. In the temperature range you described I put on long johns under my jeans, and wool socks. I've seen the heated pants at the dealership and they are really nice. I haven't bought them, because by this time last year we were snow bound. I might eventually buy them though. They would be really nice for riding the V-Strom in cold weather. Not sure if the heated socks would fit over my size 14 feet.

It sounds like you didn't have any issues with the scooter's electrical system running the full set of gear?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul, it didn't seem to have any problems although after I got home I put the battery tender on just to top it off. One of the guys who has a full rig like mine also has a voltmeter and he says at slow speed it draws down to 11 volts. I would think it could only be a problem at prolonged slow/city driving, and with just a jacket/liner and gloves it should not be any prob.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ted,

Thanks. The reason I asked is that I'd need the pants on the V-Strom more than on the Burgman, because the Burgman has at least some leg protection from the wind. The Burgman 650 has a 500 watt charging system, but the V-Strom's charging system is only 360 watts. What I don't know, is how much of that output is required just to run the machines. I assume that it takes some power to operate the ECVT tranny on the Burgman - and it has dual tail/brake lights. I don't imagine that the digital dash draws much current, but it probably uses a little. It's possible that the residual available power is similar on both machines, but I suspect that the Burgman still has the edge. Of course with the thermostat controller(s), you aren't experiencing full draw unless they are cranked all the way up, and I've never needed to run mine that high. It sure would be useful if Suzuki provided specs on available power for accessories, but I've never found any. If the Burgman had seemed challenged to power the complete set, then I'd think the V-Strom would be unable to support it. Anyway, that doesn't seem to be the case.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Ted, thanks for the report, I just ordered a Gerbing jacket liner, glove liners, and a dual controller. I should not have a problems the power draw. Did you run them straight to the battery or you are using a fused accessory block? If it is fused, what amp fuse are you using?

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Roy,

From all that I've read, the best practice is to connect directly to the battery. Some people use converters to use the Battery Tender SAE plug type with their heated gear rather than running multiple connections.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roy, the liner comes with a fused wire rig that fits nicely on the 400 directly to the battery (don't remember which scoot you have now). Its about 3 ft long. I ran mine out the bottom of the panel door...had to dremel a little slot big enuf for the wire. A buddy with a 400 got an extension for the wire so that he could run it under the plastic to come out right under the front of the seat. Less conspicious than mine, but I find mne handier to plug when getting on/off.

I want to get a converter plug like Bill suggested in order to plug the Tender in. Right now i just clip the alligators right on the battery as I left the batt cover off.

Gerbing will make up the extensions, or converter. They did for my buddy but I didn't ask the price.

Note for those of you thinking of getting elec: Unless the garment fits snugly against the body, legs, etc...you will get cold/cool spots. For example the underside of my legs between the knee and upper thigh was always cool...not cold, but noticable compared to the warmth elsewhere.
Same with the underside of the arms when using the jacket without an overgarment. Thats why I wore a light leather jacket over the Gerbing jacket...just to keep the heated stuff close to the body.

If you have some nice riding pants and jacket that is big enuf to wear the Gerbing liners under, thats a pretty good way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
pauljo said:
Ted,

Thanks. The reason I asked is that I'd need the pants on the V-Strom more than on the Burgman, because the Burgman has at least some leg protection from the wind. The Burgman 650 has a 500 watt charging system, but the V-Strom's charging system is only 360 watts. What I don't know, is how much of that output is required just to run the machines. I assume that it takes some power to operate the ECVT tranny on the Burgman - and it has dual tail/brake lights. I don't imagine that the digital dash draws much current, but it probably uses a little. It's possible that the residual available power is similar on both machines, but I suspect that the Burgman still has the edge. Of course with the thermostat controller(s), you aren't experiencing full draw unless they are cranked all the way up, and I've never needed to run mine that high. It sure would be useful if Suzuki provided specs on available power for accessories, but I've never found any. If the Burgman had seemed challenged to power the complete set, then I'd think the V-Strom would be unable to support it. Anyway, that doesn't seem to be the case.
I read somewhere (650 Service Manual ?) that 120 watts is available for accessories.
Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts