Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Short in Horn Warning.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  cliffyk 
#1 ·
I had something occur on my 06 400 and after resolving it I looked at the wiring diagram on the 650 and determined it could happen there also. It would not surprise me if the 07+ 400 is wired the same way. What happened was an aftermarket horn I was using shorted internally and that created a short through the mounting bolt. The way the horn is wired is that power goes to the fuse then to the horn then to the horn button and back to ground. That means that the horn always has power to it even if the horn button is not pressed. I was just riding down the road when mine shorted and I suddenly lost my dash gauges, blinkers and brake lights as these are all on the same circuit. The bike would also not restart after I stopped it because the brake lights didn't have power to them.

On the stock horn the mounting bracket has a rubber isolater built into it that keeps it from grounding if the horn shorts. The mounting bracket for the aftermarket horn did not have one. If you have mounted an aftermarket horn using the stock wiring and did not use the stock mounting bracket with it's isolater then you need to check to see if your mounting bracket has one. If not you need to add one.

If you ran a separate circuit through a relay to power the horn you would also not have a problem.

See less See more
#2 ·
If someone wants to check on the 07+ 400 wiring diagram look for the fuse marked as the signal fuse. It will probably have an O/G wire coming out of it. Follow that wire and see if it goes to the horn and then to the horn button.

#4 ·
Buffalo said:
If someone wants to check on the 07+ 400 wiring diagram look for the fuse marked as the signal fuse. It will probably have an O/G wire coming out of it. Follow that wire and see if it goes to the horn and then to the horn button.
Both the pre-'07 and '07+ are wired the same, as are probably 90+% of cars on the road. It is very common to switch the ground side of horns/horn relays. Speaking of which, it's a good reason to use a relay and dedicated fused supply with an aftermarket horn--the quality of most is not all that great, and the relay isolates the bike's electrical system from the horn...

#5 ·
Buffalo said:
Be careful, that "signal" fuse also takes out the radiator fan which can cause you to overheat and there's no working dash to warn you. :shock: :cry:

Don't ask me how I know. :oops:

#6 ·
Yes, a lot of stuff seems to run off that fuse and on the 650 that includes the fan but not on the 03-06 400. As long as you are moving at a reasonable speed having the fan out shouldn't be a problem. Stop and go traffic would be another thing.

#7 ·
Buffalo said:
Yes, a lot of stuff seems to tun off that fuse and on the 650 that includes the fan but not on the 03-06 400. As long as you are moving at a reasonable speed having the fan out shouldn't be a problem. Stop and go traffic would be another thing.
This is so, on both the pre and post '07 400s, the fan is powered off the Ignition (10A) fuse...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.